Tire Pressure & How Much? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43640
What I Drive: '05 Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jendan2925 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Tire Pressure & How Much?

Hey Guys,

What is a good tire pressure for an SPI with AC and size 14 tires? I do mostly do (NY) city driving.

The side panel states 32 psi, I was told to add some air to the front tires to around 34 psi.

Any thoughts on this. Appreciate the feedback and thanks to all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49008
What I Drive: 2000 Black SE, 80 Fairmont, 70 Elky

FF Reputation: 5 s_montgomery Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
a couple extra psi probably wont hurt anything the car would roll a little better and give you slightly better gas mileage but it really wouldnt matter. id just put in about wat the maximum psi is on the tire
Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

Points 13,024, Level 74
Points: 13,024, Level: 74 Points: 13,024, Level: 74 Points: 13,024, Level: 74
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
max psi on the tire = asking for trouble. DONT do this.

I run 31-32 on my 15" winters and 34-36 on my 16" summers. It really depends on the tire.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_montgomery View Post
a couple extra psi probably wont hurt anything the car would roll a little better and give you slightly better gas mileage but it really wouldnt matter. id just put in about wat the maximum psi is on the tire
there are so many people who do it and are begging for premature tire wear. it also decreases ride comfort. oh and it shouldnt be done. search for more reasons not to inflate your tires to or near the max psi.

35psi in the front and 32psi in the rear are usually a good combo.

Last edited by scrammer; 01-22-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50113
What I Drive: 2001 bright blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 greenZX10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What do you mean running the max pressure is asking for trouble? If that was true, the tire manufacturers wouldn't put those numbers on the tire.
I run mine at the max all the time. As long as you set it when the tire is cold there is nothing wrong with doing that. I do it for fuel mileage reasons, and I don't suppose it helps that much, but it sure doesn't hurt anything. There are certain vehicles (some VW's for instance) that like to wear the rear tires funny if you run alot of pressure. The Focus isn't one of those cars though that I have ever seen do it......mine doesn't.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Banned

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
You set the tire pressure at max when the tire is cold?
This means when the tire heats up and the air pressure increases in the tire, you are exceeding the MAX rating on the sidewall.
This is a max rating for the tire. The manufacturer put it there for a reason. The reason is; you go over that number and you are risking premature tire problems. The tread patch decreases thus decreasing traction.
With that much air in the tires, potholes are a worse threat. There is no room for the air to move about when the tire flexes. With the air pressure over the MAX rating, the tire is apt to explode. This is no joke.

Tire inflation pressure is the level of air in the tire that provides it with load-carrying capacity and affects the overall performance of the vehicle. The tire inflation pressure is a number that indicates the amount of air pressure– measured in pounds per square inch (psi)–a tire requires to be properly inflated.

Manufacturers of passenger vehicles and light trucks determine this number based on the vehicle's design load limit, that is, the greatest amount of weight a vehicle can safely carry and the vehicle's tire size.The proper tire pressure for your vehicle is referred to as the "recommended cold inflation pressure." (As you will read below, it is difficult to obtain the recommended tire pressure if your tires are not cold.)

Because tires are designed to be used on more than one type of vehicle, tire manufacturers list the "maximum permissible inflation pressure" on the tire sidewall. This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should ever be put in the tire under normal driving conditions.

We dont carry trailers and thus no need to inflate the tires to that extent.

Does your sidewall read "Maximum" or "Recommended"? I know the answer already. Believe me on this one, putting the max rated amount of air in your tires is the wrong thing to do. the numbers on the inside of the fuel door are there for a reason.

but hey, what do i know.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20772
What I Drive: 2002 SC Sonic Blue SVT

Points 3,439, Level 36
Points: 3,439, Level: 36 Points: 3,439, Level: 36 Points: 3,439, Level: 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 fast_ryda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I would usually put an extra 5 psi in if i'm going on a long freeway drive for mpg reasons. Otherwise I go for what it says on the label. I've had no problems yet.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Banned

the vw's you have seen have sloppy or worn-out suspensions. this is creating toe or positive camber. this is why they will wear on the inside quicker.
dont compare v-dubs to Foci.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49219
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVTF 5dr

Points 932, Level 16
Points: 932, Level: 16 Points: 932, Level: 16 Points: 932, Level: 16
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 FocusOnU2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^^nicely Said SCRAMMER!!!!
#141 OF 1079 BORN 10/24/03

Midwest crew #34
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45687
What I Drive: 2007, Vermillion Red, ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 29 Spinal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i run 33-35psi all the way around, i take a look at the wheels as the car sits to see if the rubber squats down any if it doesnt i leave it at that psi. now with the cold weather and snow im running 40psi.
Last Of The Hatches #44

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.