How sturdy are Focus CV joints? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 5,708, Level 48
Points: 5,708, Level: 48 Points: 5,708, Level: 48 Points: 5,708, Level: 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
How sturdy are Focus CV joints?

Most of the cars my family has had have been FWD, and older. Mid 90's or earlier in most cases. And they -all- had problems with CV joints. My dad used to be a mechanic, back when most of the stuff under a hood was mechanical and cars were still made of metal, but he's been doing computers lately, and says that CV joints are always a high-maintenance PITA.

I tell him about turboing my car, and he tells me I'm gonna tear my CV joints apart in a few thousand miles... I don't think so, but who knows about FWD technology in later years? I really haven't heard of many Focuses with CV/halfshaft problems.

L.O.T.H. #9
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The Focus' axles seem to be the one part that Ford over-engineered, aftermarket axles are almost non-existant. Most places that sell aftermarket axles either have no listing for the Focus or something along the lines of "we'll start making them when you start breaking them." Tom (1turbofocus) put down 500 WHP (and almost as much WTQ) on stock axles on both of his white ZX3s (the drag car and NASA road race car) without incident. Of course, it doesn't really matter how well the axle is built...if you're stupid and do launches at close to redline they're going to break, but if you use some common sense the stock axles should be fine for whatever you plan on throwing at them.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 38727
What I Drive: 2004 Comp Orange SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 0 CompEuroZX5 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
if you're stupid and do launches at close to redline they're going to break, but if you use some common sense the stock axles should be fine for whatever you plan on throwing at them.
So, the stock axles are fine up until you start launching the car at the drag strip on a real tire? How much torque are the stock axles rated for?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

I don't know what the stock axles' torque rating is, you'd have to ask an engineer at Ford. Apparently they're capable of handling quite a bit of power, given what we've seen over the years on here. A mild FI setup (200-300 WHP/WTQ) shouldn't pose a problem...assuming you use common sense. Sorry, but complaining that the Focus' axles are junk because your friend broke a few sets by launching near redline is like complaining that the engine is a POS because you blew it by bouncing off the rev limiter at 60 MPH in second gear for two hours. I think its pretty safe to say the Focus' axles will hold up to pretty much anything someone doing a FI setup without a bottomless pile of money can throw at it, given that reports of broken axles from increased power are almost non-existant on here.

Like I stated before, I don't care how well built the part is, abuse it and its going to break. If your friend has problems with axles breaking maybe he should change his driving habits and launch at a lower RPM. Oh, and here's something else to chew on...not everyone drag races their Focus and is looking to set the fastest 60' time. Had the OP said "I want to drag race my Focus and set the record for the fastest 60' time by doing launches just below redline with a real tire" your diatribe about the Focus' axles being junk might have some weight in this thread, but I'd take a guess that his car is his DD and will at most be casually raced...be it at a drag strip or otherwise.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 5,708, Level 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Right on. I'm just leary of F/I because of the massive power gains... I know I'm gonna have to upgrade my clutch, and don't want to incur a huge expense in halfshaft replacements in the future. Sounds like the focus will keep me in the clear though. Thanks SKA.

...I will not hesitate to hurt a vtec owner's pride. XD
L.O.T.H. #9
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

When the transmission is off for the clutch you might as well put a LSD in as well. All the power in the world isn't going to do a thing for you if you can't get it to the ground.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
When the transmission is off for the clutch you might as well put a LSD in as well. All the power in the world isn't going to do a thing for you if you can't get it to the ground.

Amen!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 5,708, Level 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Oh yeah. The LSD, chassis stiffening, wider rubber, all that jazz is going on before I do much of anything to the motor. Heck, I can't even get my -stock- power to the ground without a handful of wheel hop and traction loss...
L.O.T.H. #9

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.