Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cupped lip spoiler

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  svtfocusmansvt 
#1 ·
Guys, I just received the cupped lip spoiler from "The Focus Shop".

I think if you are thinking about buying one of these, you should know what the website does not tell you, the spoiler was not designed for NA front bumper fascias.
It is shipped without instructions or hardware, and has to be trimmed significantly with a knife to fit the car and after the instructions were provided (very quickly by customer support) I would have to say I would not have bought the spoiler. It is clear that it was designed for another purpose. I'll put this up to an ebay-like dissapointment.

Here are their instructions, you decide if this spoiler was made for this car, keep in mind that you have a 1/4"-3/8" lip on the bumper fascia to work with:

You will need to pick up 14 to 16 bolts/nuts or screws,
8/32nds by 1 1/2" . Should you decide to just go with
screws(quicker install), make sure to get agressively threaded
ones. I have done both ways, and screws worked just fine for me.

To install, using a utility knife or a pair of heavy scissors,
you will have to trim the mounting flange in the corners down
to 1 1/2". You must locate the middle/center of the spoiler
flange and match it up with the middles /center of the bumper
valence. If you drop a piece if masking tape from the Ford
grille emblem straight down to the bumper valence, this will
make it easier. Begin installing screws in the center, 4-6"
apart, working your way across the front and around the
corners. A cordless drill works great, or it can be done by
hand. Be sure to insert the screws as far to the rear of the
mounting flange as possible. If you insert the screws to close
to the front of the flange/spoiler face, you risk deforming
the face if the spoiler due to the screw head coming in
contact with the spoiler face as it is screw is snugged.
Before trimming the excess length of the spoiler at the wheel
wells, make 100% sure the spoiler is square across the front.
If the spoiler is toeing in or out in the corners, you will
need to reinstall, finding the center of the mounting flange
correctly. Once the spoiler is square, trim the excess at the
wheel wells and you are done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well ive read on a diffrant forum that it is acculy a mustang lip so that is why you have to trim it, but I have seen it in person and it looked quite nice installed. It really doesnt sound like much work but i guess you dont even want to give it a try.

#3 ·
really....i didnt know that trimming might be nessasary for a direct fit.

that was sarcasm incase you didnt know. but anowho, you should epxpect things like that from ANY aftermarket body part.

#4 ·
The guy who owns the focus shop is a moderator here. I have only heard wonderful things about the cup lip to be quite honest. As far as that whole mustang lip thing that was just someone with a vendetta out trying to ruin his business. I'm not gonna mention his name but most people don't think too kindly of him especially after the cheap shot he tried to pull. Personally I don't think that is too much work to do especially for the look it gives you.

#6 ·
blackandgold said:
As far as that whole mustang lip thing that was just someone with a vendetta out trying to ruin his business.
Dont take it there.

It is the mustang lip because its the one ive seen in person and next to a "cup lip" there is no diffrance. And as far as the unamed person goes it was not some kinnda vendetta it was letting people know about it, but the way it was presented may have not been the best means. Im not going to metion anthing else about what was said, if you know what happend dont bring it here.

#7 ·
Does any of this really matter? I knew when the told me that it needed trimming that it wasn't made for out cars, but I still like it. Gives the front fascia a lower profile. For 70 bucks, would you expect more?

#8 ·
If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, and sounds like a rat. It's a rat. I already let out my feelings here about the situation on another thread so your right no need to bring it here. Too long ago anyways.

#9 ·
blackandgold said:
If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, and sounds like a rat. It's a rat. I already let out my feelings here about the situation on another thread so your right no need to bring it here. Too long ago anyways.

I don't know dude. I went to a restaraunt one time and there was this stuff that smelled like chicken, looked like chicken, but turned out to be battered frog legs.

#11 ·
DrRay said:
Guys, I just received the cupped lip spoiler from "The Focus Shop".
I dont really get why a company called "The Focus Shop" would sell a lip that doesnt fit the Focus, and sell it as a Focus lip. You'd think the least they could do would be cut it to length before selling them..

Originally posted by hitthewall
that was sarcasm incase you didnt know. but anowho, you should epxpect things like that from ANY aftermarket body part.
What I'm trying to say is that an aftermarket lip should probably be roughly the same shape/length of the car it is claimed to fit.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, I dont know who sells these and I've never taken a look at them, but that doesnt sound like the way you should be running a business. Some people dont have the tools/expertise to trim a lip, and not including that in the description before they buy it isnt very cool at all.

#12 ·
Any aftermarket body part will require some work to make it fit. It just really depends on how it was made. The more expesive the kit most likely the less fitting you will have to do. It is a nice looking lip once you install it.

#13 ·
Some people dont have the tools/expertise to trim a lip, and not including that in the description before they buy it isnt very cool at all.

What percentage of aftermarket parts advertise installation requirements...very few.
The spoiler is described as a MULTIPLE APPLICATION enhancement. The installation is descibed as "can easily be fitted in your driveway or garage with basic hand tools in about an hour."

The trimming requires no expertise whatsoever. I understand the anticipation of those who assume this is difficult. However, this is a very simple install that anyone can do. The best thing about this spoiler is having a great looking spoiler you can install yourself for half the cost of an unpainted spoiler that recommends professional installation.

#14 ·
The customer support at The Focus shop has been quick to respond. They have offered full refund if not satisfied, which is fair.

However, I disagree that this install requires no expertise, you have to be extremely precise in screw placement (when/if you find the screws, because they don't give them to you)) and trimming the spoiler, you have a very small lip to target the fixation to in the front bumper fascia, even wrongly spaced screws will warp the spoiler, no doubt because the screw holes in the spoiler are in the wrong place for a Focus. This is a 2-3 hr job, a hoist might be essential. Make a mistake, the spoiler is ruined, your fascia is ruined.

The spoiler will look good once installed, and it is made of polyplastic, so it is more durable than fibreglass, urethane or ABS. But the website is misrepresentative and the "read the fine print" response is unacceptable. The price factor is no excuse either, it's either a Focus spoiler or not. This is a universal fit spoiler with potential Focus application.

Returing this thing involves time, effort and money, diffcult to justify at $99. I think The Focus Shop is relying on this as part of their business plan. Sorry, but this has the taste of a weak Ebay deal. No excuse for no instructions or hardware.

Buyer beware.

HotRodWagon, you should inform people you represent The Focus Shop.

#15 ·
Hmmm...didn't realize all this. I have one of these waiting for paint and install, but I have bigger fish to fry first. Is there any way that one could use bolts in the stock locations and perhaps some heavy duty clips to lock it on in the other places? I'm not too keen on ripping holes in my stock front fascia.

#17 ·
DrRay said:
The customer support at The Focus shop has been quick to respond. They have offered full refund if not satisfied, which is fair.

However, I disagree that this install requires no expertise, you have to be extremely precise in screw placement (when/if you find the screws, because they don't give them to you)) and trimming the spoiler, you have a very small lip to target the fixation to in the front bumper fascia, even wrongly spaced screws will warp the spoiler, no doubt because the screw holes in the spoiler are in the wrong place for a Focus. This is a 2-3 hr job, a hoist might be essential. Make a mistake, the spoiler is ruined, your fascia is ruined.

The spoiler will look good once installed, and it is made of polyplastic, so it is more durable than fibreglass, urethane or ABS. But the website is misrepresentative and the "read the fine print" response is unacceptable. The price factor is no excuse either, it's either a Focus spoiler or not. This is a universal fit spoiler with potential Focus application.

Returing this thing involves time, effort and money, diffcult to justify at $99. I think The Focus Shop is relying on this as part of their business plan. Sorry, but this has the taste of a weak Ebay deal. No excuse for no instructions or hardware.

Buyer beware.

HotRodWagon, you should inform people you represent The Focus Shop.

This is ridiculous. 40 + spoilers sold and installed without any problems. If the job is to difficult for you, have it professionaly installed. You are obviously not capable of installing the spoiler.
You have taken the time to continue this ranting with out following up with me. Your demonizing is immmature at best. As far as the fine print goes, there's but just a few sentences in the description. There is no fine print. If you can't deal with it, you have the best offer a business can give to you.
And I quote:
"t 11:12 AM 01/07/05, you wrote:
>Dr. Truant,
>As listed on the web site, the spoiler "is a true multiple
>application enhancement for many of today's hottest sport
>compact cars." As well, the web site describes the
>installation as " can easily be fitted in your driveway or
>garage with basic hand tools in about an hour."
>If you are in any way dissatisfied with the spoiler before
>installation, you may return it for a full refund, including
>the shipping. If you chose to do so, please notify TFS of the
>tracking information. Your refund will be processed the same
>day of receipt of the spoiler.
>Thank you

And then:
"Dr. Ray,
The spoiler is multiple application. However, it is not
universal, as it would not fit every bumper. The time involved
to install is listed as about an hour. No where on the site is
the spoiler listed as a direct bolt on. TFS has had only 1
previous customer who chose not to perform the installation,
and was refunded in full. The many purchasers have installed
the spoiler successfully and have been very pleased with the
spoiler.
All that being said, I do understand your frustration and
anticipation. Your expectations were not met. TFS is 100%
confident you will be satisfied with your Focus's new look. We
will extend the offer to you too completely refund your money,
including the return shipping, if your install is unsuccessful.
Thank you,
Chalon
Sorry, I can't bring it to the post office for you. BTW...everyone knows I am The Focus Shop...where have you been?. Unbelievable....

#18 ·
How can one know you are the Focus Shop? It's not in your profile or in your post. What I cannot believe is that a Shop owner can be a moderator of this forum, this is conflict of interest. Case in point, the thread was moved to a lesser travelled part of the forum.

Your website is _misleading_ and _misrepresentative_, you have had complaints of this before, you won't change it.

#19 ·
Your thread is a vendor review. If you were mislead, it was by your own assumptions. If you had questions, you should have asked before purchasing as many have. Because you are scared to use a screwdriver on your car, does not give you the right to freely distribute your misleading fantasy, giving others misinformation without a response from me. Absolutely no one has complained to me but you. Get your facts straight.
If others are telling you so, they have not spoken to me. I have assisted with any and all questions sent to me 100%.

The offer to refund your purchase is officially rescinded. Enjoy the spoiler.

#20 ·
DrRay said:
How can one know you are the Focus Shop? It's not in your profile or in your post. What I cannot believe is that a Shop owner can be a moderator of this forum, this is conflict of interest. Case in point, the thread was moved to a lesser travelled part of the forum.

Your website is _misleading_ and _misrepresentative_, you have had complaints of this before, you won't change it.
He was a moderator here way before he started thefocusshop...and why is it a conflict of interest? He's not cheating or stealing from anyone so why can't he be a moderator and start a business on the side? You were never censored for making your comment and your thread was moved to the right area where it should have been in the first place.

#23 ·
maybe this guy just needed some attention and affection.

who knows. if you could cut and paste a smiley face together in kindergarten then u should be able to install this lip. you act like it wont fit the car, it will easily. my advice for you in the future, is maybe do some research on a part before you purchase it via the internet. there are posts and pictures all over focus forums about the cup lip.

#24 ·
The Cup Lip is SO easy to install. Look, just put the center 'push clip' at the center of your bumper, mark it. Dot he same for the other push clips about 18" from center. Hold the spoiler up, push in the clips (or add screws) and then do your trimming, add support screws etc.

A hand drill/ screwdriver and a razor knife. Not exactly high dollar mechanics tools....I've done three in my driveway..so, yeah, it is a "driveway install."

[shrug] I dunno what more to say on this...its not hard. Stare at the cup lip, then stare at your bumper...keep repeating that process until it dawns on you. Dude, its not hard at all.

On a ZX3 (non svt) bumper, sure, theres not a whole lot of lip, but theres enough. A tip that I didnt see, on non svt bumpers, DO NOT GET TOO CLOSE to the front of the cup lip when you are screwing the screws in...You dont want them to be visible.

Again, this is a very easy straight fwd. install.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.