Problem with acceleration - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38931
What I Drive: 1992 Jeep Wrangler

FF Reputation: 6 darkproximity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Problem with acceleration

So on sunday evening i drove up to my boss's house for a party, and he lives on a mountain, well i drove up maybe a mile or so of dirt road, wasnt going too fast or anything but after the party on my way home i noticed the car wasn't accelerating correctly. It felt like when i pushed the gas, the RPMs would rise and i could hear the engine noise grow but the car's speed wasn't matching the RPMs. It was sort of like how it would feel if you were riding the clutch. Now i dont know if that means the clutch is going out, but im not sure what i can do to tell what the issue is. I figured i'd throw it at you guys and see what you think, any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

[EDIT]

Here is a breakdown of the symptoms:

1) During Acceleration in all gears the cars rpms wont match the actual speed right away, it takes a good 5 to 10 seconds.
2) Noticed while in 5th gear just pushing the accelerator while going maybe 35-40mph around 2000RPMS the rpms will shoot up fast but the car doesnt accelerate much. Once the RPMS hit 3000 the car sort of catches IE starts accelerating somewhat, and the RPMS drop.
3) Turning on Cruise Control in 4th gear at 35MPH and then slowing down to 25, hitting resume and the RPMS shoot up quickly with very little acceleration. Disengaged CC @ around 5000RPMS
4) Friend drove it and his thoughts are that the clutch is glazed, not sure but does this sound reasonable?

[/EDIT]

Last edited by darkproximity; 10-05-2006 at 01:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Was that our exit?!?

Fan#: 22047
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Supercharged SVT

FF Reputation: 30 Charged SVTF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How many miles on the svt?
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #246 of 4788 cardomain.com/ride/2483606
- JRSC BBK - Exhaust - Intake - Suspension -
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM
Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Just hit 61000 a week or so ago.

I just drove the car, its not too bad, i dont smell anything bad or anything like that. It does accelerate but it just seems off, like something is wrong. I wanna put some money into it but a clutch was the last thing i wanted. CAI, TB, STS, VF Rear Mount were the first things on my list. I really dont have crap for money right now :(
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Easiest thing, check the gap on your spark plugs. As they wear, I think the gap opens. I dont know what stock gap is, but a simple search (or another member) will tell you. Its the easiest thing to check. Is it fine at wide open throttle and worse on part throttle? If yes, check TPS and O2 sensor. The O2's on these cars go out around 40-50k usually.
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

When im in the higher gears is when i notice it the most, 4 5 and 6, though maybe im just getting used to the car, i really dont know. I normally have the music up but i just noticed the engine was revving high yet the car wasnt going fast.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39718
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jerk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by darkproximity
When im in the higher gears is when i notice it the most, 4 5 and 6, though maybe im just getting used to the car, i really dont know. I normally have the music up but i just noticed the engine was revving high yet the car wasnt going fast.
IDK this may not be of help but ill try, on my 99 ZX2 did the same thing you are describing it was because the clutch wouldnt fully engage and the pressure plate wasnt applying enough force to hold tight to the flywheel surface. I ended up needing a new pressure plate. Hopefully this isnt your case.
2003 SVT Focus #1615 of 3985
Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Hm, well i just drove it once more, to see if i noticed any other symptoms and i did. Between 2 and 3K RPMs the engine lags as far as acceleration, this happens from what ive seen the most in 5th and 6th gear when im not going too fast, i was in 5th maybe going 35-40, i pressed the gas a bit harder than i was to speed up, and the rpms went up and then eventually dropped, all the while im slowly pressing in more, not letting off. Another thing when popping the hood, i noticed the little clip that holds the gas pedal and cruise control cables together is broken, not sure if thats just cosmetic or so they stay out of the way, or if i should get that fixed, doesnt seem like a big issue.

Last edited by darkproximity; 10-04-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39718
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jerk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are no noises coming from tranny? Are the shifts still like they have been as I mean is it hard to get into any of the gears? IDK about on the SVTF but on ZX2's(something I kinda slaved over A LOT) the differential has very weak spider gears and wheel hop can destroy them. When a friend of mines diff was going on his 02 ZX2 he could press the gas and the rpm would climb but he really wouldnt go anywhere and there were no noises or anything to indicate the diff was going to pop. Again I dont know how much help this is to you but I hope this isnt your case.
Quote:
Originally posted by darkproximity
Hm, well i just drove it once more, to see if i noticed any other symptoms and i did. Between 2 and 3K RPMs the engine lags as far as acceleration, this happens from what ive seen the most in 5th and 6th gear when im not going too fast, i was in 5th maybe going 35-40, i pressed the gas a bit harder than i was to speed up, and the rpms went up and then eventually dropped, all the while im slowly pressing in more, not letting off. Another thing when popping the hood, i noticed the little clip that holds the gas pedal and cruise control cables together is broken, not sure if thats just cosmetic or so they stay out of the way, or if i should get that fixed, doesnt seem like a big issue.
2003 SVT Focus #1615 of 3985
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

The shifting is perfect, feels awesome. I really dont know wtf the problem is though, just got home from work tried turning on my cruise control and it did exactly what i figured it would do, once the sucker hit 2k RPMs it just pushed and pushed and accelerated like crap, hit maybe 5000 before i disengaged it.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Was that our exit?!?

Fan#: 22047
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Supercharged SVT

FF Reputation: 30 Charged SVTF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I dont think thats the pressure plate. Might be time to say goodbye to your clutch. But I pray for the pressure plate!
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #246 of 4788 cardomain.com/ride/2483606
- JRSC BBK - Exhaust - Intake - Suspension -
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.