Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Royal Purple Syncromax is sweet!

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  gukin 
#1 ·
If anyone is not sure about switching to RP, DO IT. Ever since I got my SVTF, I've noticed the tranny is a bit "knotchy", it seemed like it needed a little too much force to get into gear.

At my last oil change, 27,000 I asked my mechanic to swap it out and the difference is very noticable. Gear changes are easier now, much smoother and faster.

It's one of those "little" things you can do for your SVTF that you will notice and enjoy.

The stuff isn't free (~$11(US)/quart) but my mechanic said that my old fluid was pretty grotty so it was time to change.

#3 ·
I am seriously thinking about doing this - this weekend perhaps. The "notchy" feeling I have mixed emotions about, esp after taking that weight off the linkage...seems like its a little more pronounced. I know I am due for a change, so what the hell.

which bottle did you dump in there and how many bottles did it take?

#4 ·
$11-18??? I paid $7 a quart for sychromax at a local store. The shifter is smoother though with it, but I replaced the clutch/flywheel, added sychromax, and took off the shifter counterweight off all at the same time.

It takes 2 bottles of sychromax, you'll need this pump thing my dad had to get it into the tranny easily

#5 ·
I am wanting to do the same thing and replace my tranny fluid with royal purple. I am hearing a lot of good things about it. But I cannot find this stuff, (synchromax) where are you guys getting this stuff???
Also you are talking about counter shift weights, and am not that good with tranny's but what are those and what do they do? I know where they are but I thought if you take those you can slip out of gear really easily??

#7 ·
04OrangeSVT said:
$11-18??? I paid $7 a quart for sychromax at a local store. The shifter is smoother though with it, but I replaced the clutch/flywheel, added sychromax, and took off the shifter counterweight off all at the same time.

It takes 2 bottles of sychromax, you'll need this pump thing my dad had to get it into the tranny easily
I agree. I only paid around $7 with tax. The difference is definitely there, shifting is like night and day.

#11 ·
Good feedback. I havent changed my tranny fluid in the 76k miles I've had my car. I suppose it's a good time to swap it for something better.

#14 ·
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
how often should you change the tranny fluid anyway?
My mechanic said it's supposed to be changed at 120,000 BUT he said my fluid was pretty foul at 27,000 so, just to be safe, I'll probably do it every 30,000. Especially when you consider a new Getrag is going to run you $3,500(US$).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.