How much HP does it take to get the svtf into the 13's...12's?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How much HP does it take to get the svtf into the 13's...12's??

I absolutely LOVE my svt (it is finally fixed for those of you who remember I did 8k in damage in a curb a month ago). The only thing is, I have an absolute obsession with power and going fast. My dream car is an 04 cobra. I was strongly considering selling the svt next year and putting the money I get for it (sadly probably like 11k) into a down payment on one pending insurance cost (I will be 21 next year so hopefully insurance wouldnt totally kill me). The fact remains that it would be about a 12-15k dollar upgrade for me to get 390hp/390tq and that sweet v8 rumble with instant torque at 1500 rpms!

I have always like the idea of boosting the svt in the past, but dont know if it would be worth it. I love the handling of the svtf and how easy it is to throw around which I know a lot of that would be lost with the stang.

So...my question is...how much hp/tq does it take to get the svt into the mid to low 13's? I think 12's are pretty much out of my price range as I know very very few people have made it there and they were HEAVILY modified. I really like the idea of a turbo as they make so much more torque than most SC's but would be very concerned about tuning for it. I love the sound of SC's! I really like the idea of the procharger with a nice fmic. I have seen some numbers from people with the 8lb kit and I beleive its in the neighborhood of 260/210 or so? I would love to have 300 hp out of the focus (hopefully with decent torque numbers) but my main concern is reliabilty. I dont personally have the knowledge or the availability of equipment to be constantly working on my car.

What do you guys think it would take (hp/tq wise - and what boost that would take to break into the 13's) as well as other mods? I know clutch is obvious and diff would probably need some attention although oddly enough I noticed that after I installed the VF rear mount whenever I launch the svt it leaves two solid patches instead of the one tire fire it used to be.

Is it worth investing the 6-7-8k into the svt?? Your opinions are greatly appreciated! For those of you who are boosted could you post your numbers and your times (with what clutch/diff/tires were used at the time).

*note to the mods* I put this here as I was hoping to hear from svt owners only- I do realize this is an FI topic, so if it does need to be moved feel free to do so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Ordinarilly I'd suggest you buy a fox mustang and mod that for your power car, and keep the SVTf as your daily driver; heavy FI means heavy maintenance. You can do it correctly and minimize it, but doubling the OEM power of the vehicle is just gonna add to the chance of breaking stuff, and our cars are expensive to maintain as-is.

I dont know if I can give that suggestion tho, I'm young (22 soon), you're younger still. Insurance costs in the vehicles we like play a huge part in the total cost of those vehicles. I default to considering money first, because without that you cant do a lot of the things that make you happy.

Modding the Focus to this extent will cost you money on both ends; expensive to do, and a hit on the resale value. Unless you plan on driving the Focus until it dies, you really do need to consider resale value as a part of the expense.

Insurance on a second, pleasure-rated vehicle is also going to be expensive, but may work out in the end to being cheaper and more effective, if you go older V8 RWD for the car. It will also have the side effect of helping your SVTf last longer and be more reliable.

That may or may not have actually spoken to your exact question, but its my take, its actually what I'm going to be doing, only minus the drive for a boatload of power.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20407
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Bigfonsz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Re: How much HP does it take to get the svtf into the 13's...12's??

Quote:
Originally posted by R00ST650

What do you guys think it would take (hp/tq wise - and what boost that would take to break into the 13's) as well as other mods?
1. Good Driver

2. about 300hp and 200+tq

3. LSD with Fidanza flywheel with Stg 4 6 puck Clutchmasters

4. Lose some weight. Drop the spare tire and everthing you can pull out the car.

5. Lightweight rim and good tires

This list will go on and on.

You have to pay to play.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Drop a lot of weight for sure. Look at cars that are hitting times in the 12-13s range and calculate out their power to weight ratio. That will give you a good answer on much horsepower and torque you will need to obtain the numbers you want.

Honestly, go with what Robzor said if you want to go fast. An LX Fox Body Mustang with a 5.0L V8 is your 1/4 gem and very inexpensive compared to the Focus. You could easily build up an older Mustang for half the cost you would have to invest into your Focus.

Besides, get your car out on track some time and see what the Focus is really about. Go drive a Cobra and an SVT Focus on the same day if you can. You'll love the power of the Cobra, but I guarantee you that the SVT Focus will give you so much more confidence and allow you to be quicker, faster.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 09-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
SVTF_170

Fan#:
Buy a STi.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,254, Level 100
Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
^no no no dont say that, shed some wieght off the focus, and sc/turbo it, u can prolly make over 300whp and over 300tq and have some good 1/4 times
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1051
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus 3-Door

FF Reputation: 1 Sedanman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, to break into the high 13's you don't need much more than 215 HP and about 175 ft/lbs, which is pretty much a bbk jrsc. A powerworks which makes about 250 hp and 210 ft/lbs is enough to break into the mid 13's. At that power level, a lsd would help. To break into the 12's probably turbo would be best. 300 hp and equivelent torque would be needed along with all the required drivetrain upgrades.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32290
What I Drive: ford focus svt 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 svtguy21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i hit 13.8's with a 60ft of 2.3, i only have 250 whp and 230 ft lbs. It is all about suspension and tires. i can power my way into the 13's. i say take your pick
any s/c system
custom turbo setup
adjustable rear suspension
15 in tires and full slicks
I know for a fact that their is a zx3 pushing low 14's all engine AND nothing crazy!!! don't fall pray to big power eqauls good time. Good drivers are hiting 13's with the jrsc/bbk and DR'S.
learn your car and yourself. i suck at driving but my car has good power. it won't take much to break 13's but it will take some oh so sweet love to get into 12's
Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
thanks for the input guys! About that STI...I wanted one (WAS my dream car for the last year or so) but finally got to test drive one (05 with 20k miles on it for 24k) and was dissapointed...they are nice cars but I dont know...the rev limit is a little low (was banging gears- guess im just so used to the higher gearing of the svtf) I cant really put my finger on the exact reason I didnt like it but i think it was a combination of things. With that said...hmmm I do LOVE the fox body 5.0 stangs...but dont they generally get a little pricey? I would want one that dosnt have a ton of miles and a decent body on it. My buddies dad has an 83 gt with 19k miles on it that runs high 11's with a super quiet exhaust (sleeper anyone? its a thing of beauty!)

I think that might just be a good option for me...I imagine insurance on it would be relatively cheap as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I ran a 13.69 with a 2.1 60ft on beat worn tires....I have 231whp/ 223wtq. Im tuned low at 12psi for reliability. My MPH was 105.68 so its got some top end pull.

Next up is a 2.3 Stroker from Tom and 18psi....maybe 20+.
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.