Keeping my SVT on the ground...any suggestions? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5325
What I Drive: Focus SVT five door

FF Reputation: 1 gtcarib Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Keeping my SVT on the ground...any suggestions?

Hi all, i am a new SVT owner. I love the car. However, yesterday coming home from work a VW GTi blew past me. I easily cought him but couldn't keep up the speed because my SVT felt unstable over 90. It felt like it was coming off the ground. The stearing became light and the car began to slip a little from side to side...particularly the front end. This is my seconf focus...my first was a stright basic lx. but it would cruise at 90 and feel rock solid. I expected this SVT to be able to do at least 110 with that same feeling...any suggestions. my car is stock ...haven't had it long enough for modifications.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1171
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 fast5 Good Standing Member
don't be scuuuurd!
02 Focus ZX5- FC race headers, AEM Intake, Bosal FP, Bosal exhaustw/ DTM tip, FC pulleys, B&M short shift, Superchips, FR Stage 2 cams and cam gears, Sound system w/subs, SVT F&R seats, 1.6 drop, power slot rotors w/greenstuff pads, ZEX Wet kit w/purge, 17,s ridin' clean, SVT front bumper, Wings West sides & back clip
--Never Underestimate--
Old 03-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1171
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 fast5 Good Standing Member
you could also lower it a bit more for added stability but overall the svt is a pretty balanced car
02 Focus ZX5- FC race headers, AEM Intake, Bosal FP, Bosal exhaustw/ DTM tip, FC pulleys, B&M short shift, Superchips, FR Stage 2 cams and cam gears, Sound system w/subs, SVT F&R seats, 1.6 drop, power slot rotors w/greenstuff pads, ZEX Wet kit w/purge, 17,s ridin' clean, SVT front bumper, Wings West sides & back clip
--Never Underestimate--
Old 03-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
that seems odd... my g/f had no problem keeping up with me at 100-110 on the highway. She said it felt pretty solid the whole way

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 03-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i have the same feeling when i go pretty fast, it kinda feels like the steering wheel is a bit loose! kinda scary! but i asked around and everyone else that has the SVTF does the same thing! it's because of the bigger wheels the bigger it is, the more it follows the imperfections of the road!
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 03-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
I think its because the steering is sensitive. The SVT favors low speed corners IMO. I think some suspension upgrades would solve the stability problem. do a search on "steering ratio".
Old 03-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 758
What I Drive: 2009 White Pontiac G8 GT

Points 5,793, Level 49
Points: 5,793, Level: 49 Points: 5,793, Level: 49 Points: 5,793, Level: 49
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 Gwizzy Good Standing Member
Was the road narrow and hilly?!?!?

I usally feel really stable til about 120mph+... Which I haven't gotten to in a long time ..(since I put on the snow tires)
#61 of 3985 built
(1 of only 63 blue/black 3 door)
Old 03-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
Same here Gwizzy. On fast mountain roads with 55 MPH limits, I feel comfortable at 110. Over 120 and the car is all over the place.

But I hear you gtcarib, compared even to my old 300ZX, the steering is very light. At ton up speeds you need to drive with your finger tips so you don't have a death grip on the wheel. This thing is very taxing to drive very fast and I think it is fallout from a front heavy, front wheel drive car.

A cheap mod that could help would be to move the battery to the back of the car, this would help get weight off the front.

Asides from springs and dampers, get the lightest wheels you can find. My plan is still to get 17x7 wheels that weigh about 15 lbs.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Hmm ive been up to 135mph and haven't really felt anything it felt pretty solid to me ...not as solid as compared to my old mercedes at high speeds but mercedes / ford .. um yeah no comparison..so iono
Old 03-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Hello and welcome to Focusfanatic, hope you have enjoyed the forum so far.

I'm no expert but I do know that the steering in the SVTF is sensitive, although I feel solid running at high speed ranges. With no pun intended, it may be that you are not yet used to the "feel" of your new SVTF at those speeds.

Now the SVTF is prone to follow dips, creases and uneven areas in the road, this was one thing I notice right away in mine. It may be due to having a open diff, although I'm unsure of that, just a guess on my part.

Welcome again.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.