Rpm Problem? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2659
What I Drive: 03 BlaCk SvT

FF Reputation: 1 Gaugefx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rpm Problem?

Hey ive manily delt with honda b4 and i know as soon as u throw it in neutral ur rpms drop immediately...And in my svtf if im cummin to a stop or wut not and i put it in neutral my rpms come down slowy i was wondering if any body has the same problem, or if its even a problem...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
This is common. It is mainly the SVT's tuning, but the heavy flywheel and crank pulley add to the problem. Your best bet would be to eventually get a custom program to deal with this when you get more mods.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2812
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ManlySVTfocus Good Standing Member
This is Normal, but i don't know what extent yours is doing it. When my Throttle positioning sensor went bad my car would rev up really slowly by itself sometimes if i didn't have the clutch in. I guess that could possibly be the problem by i think its really unlikely. I finally got your name essveetee...creative
Old 03-12-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ManlySVTfocus
I finally got your name essveetee...creative
Thanks, I try
Old 03-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
Yea, I had the same problem. Then it got worse, the car actually started to idle up between shifts with no throttle being applied, and at stops. I took the car in for the problem and they reset the ECU and did the most recent flash. I think they fixed it to well cause the rpm's just drop down to 800 rpm very quickly. I just shift gears a hell of a lot faster now so I don't see it as a problem any more. I wouldn't call it common and I saw it as a problem. have it checked just to be sure. Plus you get a free tank of gas, a detail job, and a beater to drive all for free.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Like essveetee said the flywheel and crank pulley play a part in this.......The dual mass flywheel was built (and used in our cars to alot of people's chagrin) to consist of two parts separated by springs used to absorb vibration (helps make it more comfy) in the drive line and has been used (OEM) in everthing from Diesel trucks to the Acura NSX and 350Z. However, you can replace the stock boat anchor (probably after your warranty) with a Lightened, Machined Flywheel and clutch/pressure plate (Hoping ACT will release a setup for the SVT). In the meantime however, you could go with a UDP (underdrive pulley) after you get the most recent flash from FORD (YRF0) even though the flash seems to be a marginal fix at this point.

-Later

Last edited by 02SVTFOCI; 03-15-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3483
What I Drive: SVT-F

FF Reputation: 1 MaximussSVT Good Standing Member
If your warranty has expired, and you want your rpm to drop really fast, when ever you put it on neutral step on the clutch and that drops your really fast. remember neautral and clutch.

Ali.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2767
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVTDavan Good Standing Member
Uhhh. maybe i'm not quite reading that correctly, but how do you put it in neutral without stepping on the clutch???
svt.framedfiction.com - #22 of 3985
calgaryfocus.com - Calgary Focus Owners Club
Old 03-18-2004, 08:45 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTDavan
Uhhh. maybe i'm not quite reading that correctly, but how do you put it in neutral without stepping on the clutch???
Well you can just pull it out of gear and put it in neutral. But still, I'm with you, that last post didn't make sense to me.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:55 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Zetec Kona

FF Reputation: 1 jon_herr Good Standing Member
Neutral without clutch

I don't know how this gets by people - it's perfectly safe to go from in gear to neutral without the clutch as long as you are not under load.

Truckers do it all the time. It saves one clutch cycle and some wear and tear. Anyway...

The idle business with the focus is a major problem with me and the focus. It has to be a deliberate programming on Ford's part - but why I don't know.

It's not just the flywheel, it's the ECU's program doing it.

Have you noticed that your Focus doesn't really engine brake? It will essentially hold whatever speed you are going no matter foot on or foot off of the throttle. That to me seems like a safety issue.

I have two problems with this Focus - the idle and steering wheel nibble. These two reasons and the fact that I'm still paying for the car means this is the last Ford I'm buying for a good long while.

<soapbox off>

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.