Rattle Question? Clutch? BOO - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3933
What I Drive: 2005 Black Cobalt SS

FF Reputation: 1 ExHondaMan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Rattle Question? Clutch? BOO

I just bought my SVT about a week ago now. Tonight i took it in to the dealer i purchased it from to have all the problems i found w/ it corrected (Used car thing they do at this dealer).. So they are fixing my sticking driver heated seat button, Doing the YRFO for my surging problem, Foglamp switch doesnt work. BBUUTT There is another problem i wanted them to look at. A rattle sound..... Like a heat shield... Maybe a broken catalyst w/ all the little pieces floating around inside.... Can hear it on start up... Slight hear it just sitting in idle(sometime).. When sitting in neutral rev the engine to like 1500 and let off it gets really prominent.... Goes away when clutch pedal is depressed... Car has 10500 mile on it.... Had a clutch put in at 10200.. What should i do? I read some old posts and they refered to something about the flywheel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3646
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 KCSVTF Good Standing Member
Well its been a pretty common problem for the heatshield on the cat under the car to rust and fall off. It will rattle like hell before it finally gives. Mine, and many other SVT owners have had this problem. You can tell just by looking under the car if this is the issue. Start your car, let it idle (if the sound occurs then) and look under the car---a bit past where the header comes out underneath. You should see a heat shield. see if you can see it vibrate when you hear the noise. Thats exactly what mine was. Eventually it just rusted and fell all the way off---took it to ford and had em fix it. Just waiting to see when it happens again!
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/521228[/url]
Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1242
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MichaelMcMahan Good Standing Member
i have the same problem with mine and i have had my clutch replaced. i also experienced it shortly after having the clutch replaced. it is possibble that it is your throw out bearing. fords are notorious for this. the only thing to do is to have it greased real well or to have the bearing replaced.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1762
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Blue Magic Good Standing Member
If the sound goes away when you push the clutch in, its most likely the flywheel. My car had just under 3000mi.when it made a noise like that. I thought it was a T.O.bearing too. Dealer tore it down,and found the flywheel COMING APART!. They replaced EVERYTHING under warranty. Flywheel,t.o. bearing,clutch,slave cyl.etc.. I'd have the dealer check that, since your still under the 12000mi. mark for warranty.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3933
What I Drive: 2005 Black Cobalt SS

FF Reputation: 1 ExHondaMan Good Standing Member
The clutch was also just changed under warranty 200 miles ago...
Old 02-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4158
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZTS w/AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 1 02ZTSADTrac Good Standing Member
Hi, guys, I'm a newbee. This problem sounds like the common "neutral gear rollover" issue that Foci have had since they came out. I know because I have the same problem with my focus. What is going on, is that the gears in the trans ride on needle bearings. when there is no load on the gears, the gears will rattle against each other in the transmission. This is why when you press the clutch, the noise goes away. The good news is that this does not effect the performance or life of your trans. The bad news is there really is no cure for the noise. You can test to see if you have this problem, by nuging the shifter in one of the gear with your foot off the clutch while the car is stopped and idling. You should hear the rattle change. I also notice, besides the rattle being irrattic, sometimes nuging it in a gear will make the noise come or go. When I mean nuging, I mean putting the shifter in a gate, but not going all the way into the gear. Obviously, putting the trans in gear without pushing the clutch is stupid and can ruin your trans. I know this is not much help, but at least it is an explination. Take care
Old 03-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4442
What I Drive: 2003 red,svtf,loaded

FF Reputation: 1 Bigstic03svt Good Standing Member
check out the other threads I have just added some up an up on the clutch pedal vibration
and noise problem.a fix is on its way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.