cosworth zetec cylinder head - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cosworth zetec cylinder head

im interested in getting some head work or buying an already prepped one for my SVT. I was at the focus sport website, and I noticed they have a new cosworth cyl head package avail for Zetec motors. Will this head work on an SVT motor? Im not totally sure about the actual differences between a regualr zeteec 2.0 and the svt 2.0...other then the cams, the intake manifold and some other bits.

any info would be great.....otherwise im probably gonna end up getting the focus-power svt hed package

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31074
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 eurotrashvrt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
wish i could help you out by i see you had a corrado and switched to an svt. What were the reactions from your buddies on that one.

I had two corrados one turbo, hence vrt, and my friends went loco when i brought the svt home.
It makes even the Enzo and the Porsche Carrera GT feel slow and pointless. It is a triumph for lunacy over common sense, a triumph for man over nature and a triumph for Volkswagen over absolutely every other car maker in the world.

Sincerely Yours,
Bugatti
Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10701
What I Drive: 04 SVT Comp Orange

FF Reputation: 1 Liltrbo Good Standing Member
The SVT valves are larger and longer so they will not fit a zetec head. They also use a three groove keeper. It has been said on this forum that the SVT head out flows the Ford Racing Zetec head. I wonder what is the biggest difference in the SVT casting is. Are the ports higher? or larger? or straighter?

I seriously doubt the new Focusport head will out flow the Focus-Power SVT head package.

Even if the new head is better you would need so many additional parts to use it (cams, intake manifold) would it be worth it?
04 SVT #778 of 1978, born Jan 7th O4.
Powered by
Focus-Power.com
Old 03-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Sorry to jack the thread, but I have a question for both of you. What was your reaction pertaining to engine performance, handling, comfort...etc, when you switched to the SVTF?
...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

well the first corrado i had was stock so its a bit easier to compare since i have a stock svt. The corrado was a ton of fun i have to say. I like the styling of the corrado alot more, thats subjective though. Handling the car was no stout, it could definitely hold its own in the twisties but with a heavy front end vr6 and a curb weight of around 2700, and no IRS it did understeer when pushed much easier then focus.

Now all the amenities i have in the focus are in the corrado, heated seats, leather, a/c ect. But the corrado had much more presence on the road and was a very solid highway cruiser also, and torque was just always on tap, and hearing that vr6 at 7200 when chipped was insatiable. I couldnt get enough. But its also a 15 year old car and that being said the focus was much more up to date and much more reliable, chains dont really need to be replaced do they. but that all comes with owning a car that is 15 years old.

I cant really compare the vr6 turbo corrado i had, because that was a different beast all together.

But stepping away from 3 vws and into the svt has been one of the best changes ive decided to make car wise. The SVT is a boatload of fun, i love revving the car, i love the way it handles. The seats remind me of my mk4 gti and of course much more spacious then the corrado, but its a whole different car all together. Right now the SVt just makes more sense in my life than a 300whp corrado does. Doesnt mean ill never find time for a project again, cause i just love vw styling.

hope this helped,

and back to SVT heads cause i want to hear more. Im thinking about going to toms stroker kit later on. Looks satisfying.
It makes even the Enzo and the Porsche Carrera GT feel slow and pointless. It is a triumph for lunacy over common sense, a triumph for man over nature and a triumph for Volkswagen over absolutely every other car maker in the world.

Sincerely Yours,
Bugatti
Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

well..its definitely a different animal all together. The SVt handles slightly better stock...( i had bilstein/H&R sports on the corrado). Curb weight is similar so it feels equally as quick on its feet, so to speak. Brakes are better on the SVT too..i upgraded the brakes on the raddo to cross drilled brembos all around..so it was decent for what it was. Overall, for the time. the Corrado was pretty luxerious, the SLC's had leather everything, heated seats, power windows, cruise, blah blah..basically the same setup as the SVT. It was real comfy, and the ride wasnt to harsh, even with the upgraded suspension.

stock or with minimal mods ( im talking CAI, chip and catback), the corrado will out accel the SVT no question..shorter gearing, makes the difference really..even though the power to weight is prety similar. With the mods i have on the SVT now, its comparable to a mildly modded vr6 car.

The torque was big thing ...the vr6 had equal torque to hp ( corrado vr6 made 178hp/177lb/ft) so it feels faster then the svt just because of that.

when i put the race shop cyl head on and the schrick cams it REALLY became a different beast. I was gonna get a vortec charger, but i liked the idea of all motor power ( not to mention reliability..) Pulled like a freight train all the way to 7200rpm, torque at every angle. It really was a fast car by most standards ( i had a number of surprising run ins with e36 m3's and some s4's....) I had a CF hood, and no spare or tools and no backseats , so the car was pretty ****** light over all. I pulled a 14.3 @99mph 1/4 mile with head/cams, cai, chip, 2.5 exhaust, motor mounts, short shifter, and pulleys.

im glad with my choice, i was a VW head for a long time so its nice for a change. SVT is SO much less finicky, and more realiable over all...and the biggest thing is that it DOESNT burn oil, hahaha...the cyl head and cams made it roll through oil like u wouldnt believe. it was hilarious. I miss it big time though

Last edited by Spec3VR6; 03-02-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

i figured the cosworth head wouldnt work, but i wanted to double check. the focus-power head looks like a very high quality piece at a reasonable price. I LOVE the all motor thing so im gonna be seriously looking into it in the near future. Gotta get this baby up to the old standards
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

haha, everything you said was on cue, and after my turbo corrado i was thinking going for the gold with this one and also turboing the SVT, but i remember that pure grunt from the first corrado,

and im really looking foward to going N/a with this sucker. Toast to old cars and cheers to our new ones.

btw has anyone gone with one of toms stroker kits or his head?

Sincerely Yours,
Bugatti

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.