Rusted Cat!! :o - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Rusted Cat!! :o

my cat is RUSTED onto my exhaust, well the bolts are rusted where if i turn the socket it get rust falling off...now how the hell could i remove these bolts so i can remove the cat to put on a hi-flow? (same goes for the other side of the cat too) there is so much rust its sad, wd40 can't do nething, like the bolts are completely deformed.

also does a hi-flow cat come with new bolts and nuts? or should i go to home depot to pick some up? If so what size should i get?

I'm thinking about sawzalling the hell out of the cat and its bolts, i'll prolly need a new gasket or two but thats cheaper than bring it to a shop and letting them do the same i'd guess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
my car breaks!

Fan#: 23734
What I Drive: 02 silver ZX3

Points 2,637, Level 31
Points: 2,637, Level: 31 Points: 2,637, Level: 31 Points: 2,637, Level: 31
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 jaimz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
theres's this stuff called PB just call a parts place and ask for a can of PB, then wait for the weather to warm up a bit, spray PB on the bolts, and wait 15 minutes, they'll come off like they were new :)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jaimz22
theres's this stuff called PB just call a parts place and ask for a can of PB, then wait for the weather to warm up a bit, spray PB on the bolts, and wait 15 minutes, they'll come off like they were new :)
tried PB as well :( me and my friends have tried everything PB, WD40 and some other stuff he had lying around which usually works, we were going to torch it (just for fun) then we came to our senses of the flammable liquids we just put on it LOL
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You might have to take it to an exhaust shop unfortunatly. And yes you will need new bolts you cannot use the existing ones. But you can use the gaskets that are on there.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Impact wrench........
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 02-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am no master mechanic...but if they are rounded out its time to bust out the Vise Grips and get ready to grip that handle as tight as you can...lock those babies on that bolt head and give er H3!!. or a cut-off wheel and cut the bolt head off and pound them out. (If you have a good air hammer you could just bust off the nuts. If you dont think you can handle it take it to an exhaust shop and pay them to not destroy your car. (Its easy to sheer a bolt if you have a good air hammer) just be very careful and take your time
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29006
What I Drive: 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 domesticdisturbance Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
i had a hell of a time taking my exhaust bolts off to install my mbrp. i ended up taking it to a shop.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

unfortunately many exhaust shops here wont touch a CAT unless its deemed for replacement...or i can make sure the owners arent around
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
what size bolts are needed? and what grade would be best? if i wanted to get a new gasket, what part # is it?
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 02-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24448
What I Drive: 2003 black SVT EURO

FF Reputation: 1 my 2003SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Take it to a shop and tell them that your doing some work on you exhaust, "IF THEY ASK" what your doing tell them your putting on a high flow cat or that you need to remove the cat in order to put on your new exhaust but that you are putting the cat back on. next have them heat up the bolts and use an impact wrench to losen them for you, tell them it is to make it easier for you to remove, then take you car back home and finish the job!!

Thats what i did with my ORP!!

Hey a little white lie never hurt anyone!! >;))
AEM CAI, FC offroad pipe, FC 65mm TB, carbon fiber SVT emblems, Smoke side markers, Euro grill, Eibach sportlines w/pro dampers, Alpine CDA9856 head unit w/30G ipod, FC upper strut bar, SD coil w/ Live wires, eyelids,
SVT squad #143
BLACK 2003 SVT EURO 3DR

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.