Threw another code - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25918
What I Drive: 02 Infrared SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 VNMOUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Threw another code

I got a check engine light again for the 2nd time. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the same code I had been throwing beforeand it turns out it wasn't. The code before got cleared when I disconnected the neg battery cable and just never came back on. This one today was for p1025 or 0125 or something like that. Anyway it said engine temp too cold, closed loop something or another. I know some of you warned me about the 160 thermostat going into closed loop, but why is the code being thrown 5-700 miles after install? Also what is the lowest temp the SVTFs computer will let you run , until closed loop kicks in? And if I disconnect the neg battery cable will it clear this code permanently till I throw another one like it did last time?

I wanna keep the 160 in there because Houston's hot season is just around the corner and it will be running plenty warm. So all you Northerners shut up about a 160 t-stat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
<subliminal> get a tune </subliminal>
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You have to decide whether you want us to shut up or tell you what's wrong...

You said the t-stat would start opening at 160 but that coolant temps would get up to maybe 180 tops. Closed-loop starts at around 175. So, you're on the ragged edge. Depending on ambient temps, driving style, road conditions, etc. you're either going to go high enough to keep the code from happening or you won't - and then you'll get a code, like today. That is why it took that long to throw the code. Thermostat probably loosened up and is opening faster now, too.

As for the what the temp limit is to go into closed-loop mode, I think you found it. You can probably use the trip odometer code reader to determine what that temp actually is, if you care to.

These cars are not known for having engine-temp problems - other than IAT problems, and that's a different solution.

If it ain't broke,...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
your thermostat is the problem. that code is an emmissions code becuase it means your engine isn't getting hot enough to go into closed loop fuel operation, meaning you're dumping fuel through your engine running pig rich. put a 180 degree therm in there. you're not really making any more power with a 160, in fact you're probably making less because the a/f ratio is so off. you might be able to flash the computer and tell it to go to closed loop at a lower temperature, but I don't know if the software allows that kind of change.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25918
What I Drive: 02 Infrared SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 VNMOUS Good Standing Member
ok.ok. 160 is "too low", but we are in rare form here in Houston being cold and all. It's like hell has frozen over. I just know a 160 will suit 100 degree weather, but I also don't like the idea of running pig rich. Anyway I guess I'll have to change the T-stat to a 180 till the summer time or until I can get a programmer to shut the damn computer up. I absolutely HATE computers in cars trying to tell me what to do. I guess that's why I liked the 96-98 GTs and Cobras so much. The only check engine light I would ever get with those is for cat delete.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The 160* is too cold, the engine needs to be warmer to run correctly. as long as the car is running cool temps it will keep running "pig rich" to try to increase the temp.

I "think" the temp needs to be around 170-175* before it starts to run properly.

You definitly need a tune... besides it will make the SVT run SOOOOO much better.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
seriously, all you need to keep your car cool, even in those high summer temps, will be a 180 degree thermostat and the factory pulleys to keep your water pump up to speed. I would recommend getting a tune for early fan activation, but it shouldn't be a problem at all. on many cars (not sure about the focus) the fans kick on when the coolant reaches 230 degrees. your car should run fine on the stock thermostat, honestly
Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21836
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black w/Blue int SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Scott_SVT Good Standing Member
I run a stock t-stat, underdrive pulleys, black car, in Florida, (similar temps as Houston) with no problems... I'd concur with the rest and say get rid of the 160 t-stat.

Your fan is coming on way earlier than 230 degrees anyway if you are running the a/c (and if you live in houston and DON'T run the a/c during the summer you are a very masochistic person! )
SVT SQUAD #8
Hurray!! a Squad! how umm... stupid....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.