Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Borla 2.5" Cat Back exhaust and RT Highflow Cat

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Shifty Powers 
#1 ·
Does anyone have both the RT Cat and Borla 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust for the SVTf?

Any install issues with these 2 together? I just bought the Borla and seriously considering buying the RT Highflow Cat as well

#3 ·
Oh yea, love the sound

#4 ·
exhaust sound

WOW, that's just how my SVT sounds with just a magnaflow muffler. wish i could afford the RT cat. maybe soon

#5 ·
I read on Random Technology Website

Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement.
So I guess if you remove your standard CAT your are essentially breaking the law. In texas inspections are done annually. Not sure if it is worth the risk. I guess I will stick with the Factory SVT Cat and Borla Cat Back Exhaust.

#37 ·
I read on Random Technology Website

So I guess if you remove your standard CAT your are essentially breaking the law. In texas inspections are done annually. Not sure if it is worth the risk. I guess I will stick with the Factory SVT Cat and Borla Cat Back Exhaust.
I live in texas and i have the Borla cat back with a CFM High Flow cat. I have had my car inspected the past three years i have had this and they have never said a word. they really don't care in texas. now california, you could have problems there.

#6 ·
RT cat

bushmasterguy, i live in south tx also. just so happens on my last car i got a screw driver stuck through the cat[;)] [:D] kind of hard not to say it needed a replacement then, lol hint hint......

#7 ·
Gotcha Texassvt! Now that I think of it I have had some wierd rattling going on ever since I drove through that construction zone. I will have to check it out to make sure rebar or somthing like that messed up my CAT. [8D]

#8 ·
RT cat

WOW! i can see that rebar hanging out from under the car now.[:D] better get that replaced[8D]

#11 ·
Evan_Murphy,

Was their any issues with the install that would be helpful for me to know? I bought the Borla and am considering the RT Cat as well.

#13 ·
Are there any vids or testimonials of the stock catback with just an ORP? I was wondering how this sounded. Keep in mind I dont want anything that remotely sounds rice, cause I'm coming out of a 4V Cobra with full exhaust. This is why I haven't touched the stock exhaust yet. I'm going to thouroughly do my homework. BTW in San An inspection is no problem w/o a cat. Just be ready to brush up on the 'ol espanol; or make sure you have a friend named Pancho.

#14 ·
VNMOUS, it's VERY hard for an inline 4 cylinder to sound remotely close to a V8. I've heard the ORP on stock exhaust and it sounds similar to the RT cat, but not quite as loud and without the interior droning. Not too sure what to tell you, but I'd get the RT cat over the ORP (get caught once and you could have purchased MANY RT cats!).

IMO, doing anything to the exhaust on the SVT will make it sound ricey. The stock tone was good, but it wasn't loud enough for me. I got an RT cat first and it made it louder, but didn't sound too ricey for me. Then I added the Borla exhaust, and IMO it sounds like rice. I've yet to hear it outside the vehicle, but from what I hear inside it's ricey.

The movie that is posted sounds similar to what mine sounds like, but mine is VERY raspy when I let off the throttle. Also, they didn't rev to redline, so it's kinda deceiving at what it sounds like.

I'm gonna have to see if my bro still has my sound clips of stock with RT cat, and my clip of Borla with RT cat.

#16 ·
Hmm first time i ever heard the term ricey and Borla in the same sentance.

#17 ·
It's subjective and personal as to what a person thinks is "ricey". I've heard the borla on the SVTF and it's definitely not. That's why I have to take some of the comments re: sound with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own perspective and opinion on the subject. You also have to know that a 4 banger isn't going to ever sound like a V8 engine...

#19 ·
Yeah, what I think sounds like rice might not be rice to another. I dunno, it sounds similar to the exhaust of all the riced out Civics in my area - which is why I called it rice. I really haven't heard my exhaust while someone else drives it, so my opinion may change when that does happen.

Exhaust Clip - Borla and RT Cat on SVT - Cold start right after installing the exhaust. Bogs a little when I give it gas, but revs up eventually. Think it went redline, 3k, 4k, 3k revs. Recorded in my garage on a cold November night.

#23 ·
i don't have it myself but that IS the next mod i'm going with. that and TB at the same time. there's a few recent threads about the rt cat and i haven't heard of anyone on here saying not to get it or it's not worth it. it apparently adds 5-7 hp to the wheels and sounds real good. there are some sound clips floating around this site. search around and you'll find them. i think it sounds awesome. plus it seems like there are quite a few people that just get a rt cat and leave the rest of the exhaust alone (which is what i'm doing also). it's probably so expensive because it's the only high flow cat for our cars but dollar for horsepower, i believe it's a good investment.

BTW, did you put that STS in yet?

did you call SVT yet?

another thing, we do a lot of one on one talking don't we? lol we've got a few threads with you and me responding to each other lol

#24 ·
lol yes we do , the sts will be in tomorrow i'm not even off work yet...
i'll find out on friday if there is anything we can do as far as contacting ford...
and i think after i finish my audio i'm goin with the r/t cat....i'm just iffy about my subs and amp , wil it hurt me that bad in racing ?
its 2 12' in a port buox with like a 5-10 lb amp....but i'm gonna take out that garbage stock sub lol....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.