Car running 10x better - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25918
What I Drive: 02 Infrared SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 VNMOUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Car running 10x better

Like the title says, my car is running 10x better. Last night me and my buddy did a whole slew of maintenance items. We started working on the car @ 10 pm and finished at 1am. First off since, the car was warm we started with the Ford Racing STS. Got that installed in 30 min. Next I changed oil and filter. Then we proceeded to change the fuel filter. Took a lil longer cause it's in a tight place. Then we dumped the radiator and switched out the Thermostat for a 160 deg. stat. Then lastly I changed the plugs and put the FMS wires on. We started the car up with the front jacked and the cap for the resevoir tank off to burp any air bubbles that might be in the coolant lines and idled the car up to temp, except it never got up to temp. It went 1/4 the way up instead of halfway. Turns out that's because of the 160 T-stat. Anyway I proceeded to drive it to Wal*Mart with all of these new mods/maintenance items on and oh wow. What a difference! The idle doesn't hang hardly at all anymore between shifts. The STS is fuggin sick. Its very stiff and precise! The car runs a whole lot smoother and not as hot! This am we painted the calipers red with the DupliColor Wal*Mart kit. Hey, it was good enough for my Cobra. Overall I am very happy with these mods and maintenance items. Car is a whole lot more fun to drive,again. I highly recommend all of the aforementioned items.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Good job, that's a boy taking care of his ride! Hey, for that caliper painting, did you remove the hardware, or just leave it on and tape the area off?

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 01-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

For painting calipers, I always just take the rims off and tape everything off. No removing of brake components necessary.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31210
What I Drive: 2001 ford focus SE Blue

FF Reputation: 1 timetowin1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I need to do that to my car.. its been pretty slugish lately
Old 01-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Spray or brush-on paint?

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think you will regret the 160 thermostat decision. Most cars will not go into closed loop operation until they reach 175+ so a 180 would be the coldest most cars will use properly.

Watch your gas mileage. It will probably suck big time and you will be diluting your oil much faster than if the engine was reaching the proper temp.

Nice thing is you can reverse the decision without any long term problems......so long as you do it fairly soon.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:09 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

160 means that the t-stat isnt fully open at 160, it means that's where it begins to open. It wont be fully opened till about 175-80ish if I'm not mistaken. At least that's what my previous Cobra's have done. With the 160 T-stat and the tune to tell the fans to come on early, my car still held a steady 180 temp with the Ford Racing guage, that was mechanical.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMichael
Spray or brush-on paint?
It's brush on.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 144,453, Level 100
Points: 144,453, Level: 100 Points: 144,453, Level: 100 Points: 144,453, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 50 sleepyboy Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Whats up VNMOUS Nice to see all the focus fanatics from around my area I live in rosenberg just a hop and a skip down the highway from you. Me and my friends also like to do some latenight maintence/modding at least thats when we installed the headers and such lol. I bet I have seen you or your old cobra before. Have you ever seen a yellow focus w/ euro bumpers driving around thats me don't be scared to say whats up. We focus owners need to unite. If you ever go to the track or auto-x let me know I would like to go to the track w/ other focus's

p.s. I have beat every focus i have raced against except the SVT I have only raced one of those and that was on the highway and he did'nt passs me untill I governed out. lol PM me or something

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
sounds like a kickass evening! i'm waiting for a few things to get squared away on my beast before I put everything in.
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.