What's the big deal about the SVT? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3173
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Jeffp13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's the big deal about the SVT?

I recently bought a 2003 SVT based upon the reviews I read in the car magazines. To be honest, after 2,000 miles with the car, I'm really disappointed with the car. The thing is a slug off the line, makes a lot more engine noise than forward thrust, and gets the gas mileage of a V8. The handling is OK, but certainly no better than other cars that I've driven. And to make matters worse, it's been back to the dealer for repairs THREE times since I bought it!!

A lot of people on this site really seem to be high on this car, but I just don't get it. Please explain. I really wish I would have bought the Subaru WRX, but the extra cash swayed me into buying the focus. I guess you get what you pay for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 276
What I Drive: 4Dr Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 focus Good Standing Member
It's about to get hot in here.

Name one car that outhandles the SVT in it's class. There ain't one. The SVT has a very good balance between handling and comfort.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #3

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
As someone who has driven both the SVTF and a WRX, you have the surfer syndrome as I call it. You see, no matter what car it is, it will never be as fast or handle as well as you think it should.

What did you own before this car?

Btw I am wondering what other cars you drove with better handling?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1872
What I Drive: 01 Silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fezzer0014 Good Standing Member
if u dont like ur car we can trade 01 silver zx3. it'll look just like ur other onr and get better gas milage

my baby didn‘t survive the accident =(
but now i have an 01 zx3 =)
Old 02-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2221
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 1 focuzdSVT Good Standing Member
So, you based the car buying on reviews and not your own likes and dislikes? You test drove it right? Saw the gas milage? Sounds like you bought it blind and don't like it, should have done more research and test driving.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1262
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, 04 R1

FF Reputation: 1 Wolf71 Good Standing Member
Sure, their are cars that handle better and have more power, but not in the same price range or class. Coming across the 152 from I5 to 101 on my way home from LA, I had a BMW Z3 and Acura TL that kept pumping the speed up. So I said "F" dropped into 4th and went. They followed me up to above 105 mph and then they backed off. This was at about 1:00 am with light traffic, and it had drissled maybe 30 minutes earlier. Now, it could have been that they weren't as confident as I was in the twisties, maybe they didn't have the skill, who knows, maybe they weren't crazy enough. But I do know from personal experience, I never came across there at more then 90 in my Eclipse GST that had before this. In a straight line the Eclipse would beat the SVTf, not by much though, but in the twisties the SVTf will handle the Eclipse big time.

99 Buell X1 Carbon Fiber Extreme
V&H Pipe, Forcewinder Intake, Race Computer, Power Commander III, Banke Rear-sets, Ceramic Coated Headers

04 Yamaha R1 Shift Red
Greggs Custom Flush Mounts, Integrated Tail Light, Graves Fender Eliminator and Frame Sliders, Zero Gravity Smoked Screen
Old 02-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
What cars have you driven, how hard do you drive, do you live in a city?

There is road here in Southern California called Bouquet Canyon, it is my favorite road to hit on my motorcycle. In the summers I have ridden the road 8-10 times a week. I know the road well, to say the least. Corners with a 25 mph limit, I can easily enter at 50-55 mph on my bike and exit around 60-65 mph. With the SVTF, I can enter the same corners at about 50, but the difference is that I cannot accelerate out like on the bike. This was suprising, I just kept charging faster, and the car was fairly stable, although I will say the rear end did feel a tiny bit mushy at what I thought the limit was.

What I am saying is that this car plain handles! If I come in too hot, I get off the gas, the car starts to tighten up. Still too fast and I lightly touch the brakes and the car wants to oversteer more, and hits the apex. I can drive faster than most poorly ridden sportbikes while listening to the radio and picking my nose!

There are 2 numbers that don't lie: .89-.91g on the skidpad (better than a WRX), and ~2750 lbs.

I did a trackday and kept up with stock WRX's, but the STi ate my lunch...with 4 doods in it!

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
STI is pure power no crap it ate you

The SVT isn't the fastest of the line but don't play with me in the curves Although i have trouble beating a V6 camaro dragging if he brings me into the curves he won't even see my taillights =)

You must have really high standards or bought the car expecting to pull 14 second 1/4 miles someone once pointed out to me the fact that a car that accelrates quick doesn't make it manly anyone can go fast its the car that can take the corners going fast that is manly cause you gotta have guts to do it

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
I'd be happy with a slower car. I'm all about the corners. You might have been better off getting the Dodge. If you can't tell it handles well its probably too much car for you. Yes, it sucks off of the line; it is front wheel drive.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
Im not gonna lie though the WRX is alot of fun it can handle well and has alot of power thats why i only wish the SVT focus had more power but its good for what u pay

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.