2004 SVTF Reliability - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28626
What I Drive: Silver Bullet (In slow-mo)

FF Reputation: 1 Artood2s Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2004 SVTF Reliability

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a Red 2004 SVTF that I have fund for a pretty good price. I went to the dealership and took a test drive. Wow...after the drive I didn't want to go back to my GTI ever again. But upon joining this forum and reading about some reliability issues I was wondering if you guys could could give me a heads up on what to expect. The car has a little over 19,000 and upon inspection, seemed in great condition. Here are my questions:

1. Is the 2004 any more reliable than previous years? (hoping Ford fixed some of the teething problems in the first batch)

2. What should I expect to break and how much will it cost? (that way I know not to spend all of my cash on mods)

3. Since I am buying the car straight from a Ford dealer, should I ask them to check/update anything in particular while I am there?

Thanks for all the input and I look forward to joining the SVTF community.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
make sure you have them pull an OASIS report. that will tell you anything that a ford dealership has done to the car. also have them pull a carfax report. if it hasnt already been done.....the yrfo ECU flash update. also the clutch tsb. <--both of these are warranty issues.

ne 1 else?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28855
What I Drive: 2004 CD silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 EnviedSVT Good Standing Member
yes deffinatly have them check out all the TSB's for the car....I'd say the biggest one would be the TSB for the clutch...."marbles in the can" sound when in neatural then enganging the clutch the noise goes away...ive had that fixed on my 04 svt...but thats under warranty...had to get new fuse for inttermittent window wiper switch..lol under warranty...hmm what else...had to go in for valve cover gasket oil leak...almost by the VCT soilnoid under the spark plug cover..under warranty...basically if ur still under 36K ur ok...well that is if u find a ford dealership thats pretty tight
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16196
What I Drive: 2004 COMP. ORANGE FOCUS ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 MARS Good Standing Member
sup dude!! i got myself an 04 svtf and the only problem i had was just the alternator going out and the alarm that came wit the car.... i havent had any experience wit the probs. from what others had.... i had the car off showroom wit only 2miles on it and now i'm at 21xxx... i'm still happy wit my purchase!!!!

CHEAP MODS:
CAI, 9mm FRPP wires, gapped .65 platinum motorcraft spark plugs, hacked off muffler and back res.

SVT Squad #10
Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

the 04's come with ZED0 pcm code
Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Re: 2004 SVTF Reliability

1. Is the 2004 any more reliable than previous years? (hoping Ford fixed some of the teething problems in the first batch)

Yeah its probably the most, but not by much just because they worked most of the bugs out.

2. What should I expect to break and how much will it cost? (that way I know not to spend all of my cash on mods)

It depends totally on what breaks, I wouldn't worry so much about that I've had mine running for almost 30k and there hasn't been any serious issues that weren't covered under warrenty.

3. Since I am buying the car straight from a Ford dealer, should I ask them to check/update anything in particular while I am there?

Look to see if its had the TSBs done to it, especially the clutch TSB these will save you from hassle at the dealer later on.

hope the deal goes well!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Lol sorry for posting once again but i have almost 28,000 on my car...those are the only problems so far...still running strong every 3K putting mobil 1 synthetic....The mods i have are AEM underdrive crank pulley...Screamin demon coil pack with live wires,spark plugs gapped at .065...Focus sport cool flo intake...Xcalibrator 1 tuned by hypnotic illusions...and focus central off road pipe...

If your going to spend any money at all on mods DEFFINATLY go with...Intake(just go with short ram.. cold air barely does anything more maybe .5+hp not worth hydrolock in my opinion if u live in a rainy state) get a tune, the tune from wayne at hypnotic illusions is the best thing u can ever do to ur car...It pulls so hard in every gear its amazing this should be everyones first mod! and get the off road pipe (its not as loud as people say,its usually the older people that dont like noise)no offense to u older guys but its tru lol its no where near the honda's with there exhaust...Ive heard pullies help it rev faster but they were already on when i bought my car :) and as of rite now i should be pulling high 14's or 15 flat in 1/4 mile

Ha and o yea if u still got the money Get the VF rear engine mount...And ford racing or steeda short shifter...Same thing just ford racing sells cheaper...dont get focus central just a chopped down stick... if u get all those mods u will be so happy and be finding urself to be a honda eater ha

sites to look and buy from would be...
www.steeda.com
www.c-f-m.com
www.focussport.com
www.hypillauto.com
plus whole bunch more thats just my opinon tho...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #8

Fan#: 19523
What I Drive: 04 Screamin Yellow/EURO

FF Reputation: 1 jonrjen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The 04 SVTF also came standard with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That should make you feel a little more comfortable. Remember it also includes a free loan car when in for service as well as a wash and vac out during service at on charge.

Over all the 04 model year seems to have many less problems. The key to keeping it running for a long time is simple............so your regular maintance.

So what is the dealer asking for the car and what are you willing to give for it. Is it a Euro Package car or standard SVTF?

Good Luck,
Jon
Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
If you can get me the vin# i can run an Oasis for you and see the history.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12785
What I Drive: '04 Black P-chrgd SVT ZX3

Points 4,604, Level 43
Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 UtahSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Only thing I've had a problem with is the sunroof... push the button to come down and it ocmes down and goes back up. No biggie.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.