High Temp On Oil Guage? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Exclamation High Temp On Oil Guage?

Ok, today i noticed that my oil temp guage was reading that it was hott. When i noticed it, it was all the way up in the red area, on the other side of the black mark! Now, i'm not sure if it has been doing it for a little while and i'm just now noticing it, or if it just basically started today. Not sure if this would have any effect on it, but the oil pressure seems to be fine, runnig about half way b/w low and high.

It seemed to like to do it more (be in the Red Zone) when i was driving consistanly at about 45-50 mph. (5th gear at about 2600 rpms) I also noticed that it kinda went down if I let off of the gas at all, for a period of time, like when i was coasting, and not accelerating. Now, it still also did it when i was driving at other consistant speeds like 40mph, or even 30, but I don't remember the temp being as high as when i was driving at 45mph.

The other thing i noticed is that it would be more likely to stay up in the red area if i was accelerating harder. In other words, the more i pushed on the gas pedal, it seemed like it had an effect on how hot the oil guage said I was running.......

I also found out that when i came to a stop, say at a red light after about ten seconds, the oil temp would start to drop again, back to the normal area, around half way in b/w. But, as soon as i started going back up to 45mph, it went up too........

I know that i've seen somewhere that those guages are basically "dummy" guages and that they don't really do anything. So my question is, should I be worried at all? Is my oil for some reason running hot all of a sudden??

Another thing, that i'm not sure if it has anything to do with this at all is that my windshield wipers have been acting funny, too. Like if I push it for the "mist" it will get stuck like half way between it's stroke, and still be on the windshield. So i'm not sure if maybe there's an electrical problem that maybe causing both, or if they are two totally seperate cases.

Ok, I think that's it, if I remember any other "tests" that I did while i was driving it, i'll be sure to post it. And as usual and help is greatly appreciated thanks,

chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
sounds like it could be a faulty sensor, if it goes up and down like that, i wouldnt think it would cool off that much when you came to a stop.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I can tell you what is up with the windshield wipers...it's the relay for them that is messed up.

Seperate case, your oil temp...hrmmm, I still haven't made up my mind if those are dummy guages or not. Is your car overheating at all (water temp)? There might be something going on with the feed line to the oil system coolant or something similar to that (not sure if there is one or if it just routes engine coolant through the oil system cooler internally to the engine). It might be worth the 50 or so bucks to take it to the dealership for the diagnostic on it to figure out what is going on with it....
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
^^^uggh, the dealership??? lol..........

Yeah, i thought i saw something about a relay for those wipers some time before, but wasn't sure if maybe it had to do with this at all or not. And no, my water temp is running fine.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i know this sounds bad, but did you check the oil level? and how many miles on the oil.
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,781, Level 78
Points: 14,781, Level: 78 Points: 14,781, Level: 78 Points: 14,781, Level: 78
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Daeron
Seperate case, your oil temp...hrmmm, I still haven't made up my mind if those are dummy guages or not.

nope, trust me, they work. blew a heater hose right behind the thermo housing. lost coolant so fat that the temp guage showed normal. but my oil temp went up, thats what got noticed. then the check engine light went on and the car went into limp mode (yes, svt's do have the feature,lol)
Old 11-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,036, Level 17
Points: 1,036, Level: 17 Points: 1,036, Level: 17 Points: 1,036, Level: 17
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 svtfiend Good Standing Member
dummy gauges? i think not. next time you change your oil, make sure its hot when you get it up on the ramps. if you're worried about burning yourself on the header, let it sit for 45 minutes or so, the oil will still be hot. drain the old oil, change the filter,and put in the good, new stuff. get in and start up the car. the oil temp gauge will drop all the way down. they work.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23680
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTFucus Good Standing Member
Anything come of this b/c my car did the EXACT same thing this morning driving to work(45 mile trip)???? The car is overdue for an oil change by about 700 miles....gonna do it this weekend.
#2852 of 4788

1997 White SVT Cobra....sure...it's all stock!!!
#4408 of 6971
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23680
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTFucus Good Standing Member
OK...so on the drive back home today I watch, as I'm sitting in traffic, my oil temp gauge rise as well as my coolant temp. They both hit the read and I was shaiting my pants wondering what to do. When I got up to freeway speeds they went back to normal(in the middle), but this concerns me greatly. Any idea as to what to do???
#2852 of 4788

1997 White SVT Cobra....sure...it's all stock!!!
#4408 of 6971
Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is the fan working?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.