Driving Tips Needed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2547
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BumbleBee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Driving Tips Needed

Please don't laugh at what I'm about to ask...but my SVT makes it a first time experience for ever driving a six-speed, and I'd like to know how other SVT owners drive their cars around town...city driving.

The Mini salesman told me when test driving that car that a driver shouldn't even think about shifting into 6th gear until the car is up to about 75 or 80 mph or so. But...that was a Mini Cooper S that is either super or turbo-charged (I think it's the latter but I forget). What I'm wanting to know is how do other SVT owners handle the shifting around town. I've been keeping my around-town shifting to no higher than 5th---even when in the 50 to 60 mph range. Once on the highway, I shift into 6th when I get up to 65 or so. My city driving milage last reading was 18.8 mpg, which seems on the lowish side. What are others experiencing? Could I be doing better?

BumbleBee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 997
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Met Titanium 5Dr

FF Reputation: 2 sudgalvas Good Standing Member
When I a am trying to stretch the mpg, I keep the revs between 3k-4k. I will shift into 6th at 50 MPH when I don't have to accelerate, and if I do, down it goes a few gears.

The SVT manual has recommended shift for all the gears points. I think they recommend 6th gear at 60 MPH.

I average about 22 MPG. That is a mix of me being frugal and in the same tank running through the gears shifting at redline. Oh well, I did not get it for the economy!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Very interesting. Basically, Sudgalvas, I've been keeping the revs between 3 and 4 grand.

I'll have to get out the manual. I didn't know Ford made any recommendations.

Thanks for the advice.

BumbleBee
Old 02-01-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1334
What I Drive: '02 SVT & '03 FX4 L2

FF Reputation: 1 SVT-n-FX4 Good Standing Member
I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift. Personally, I take it to 3k, cause I am a little more gas consious. As for that salesman telling you to never put it into 6th below 75mph, that sounds like complete bunk.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be advised at lower speeds would be because it would put you below your powerband. I have demonstrated to my g/f a couple of times that you can put it into 6th at 30mph and it will still move, albeit very sluggishly. Funny enough, both cars have the same 6 speed as well.

Ohh, and that 18mpg does seem low, is the car broken in yet?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
If im not racing or playing around i usually let it sit at about 3k

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 02-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 411
What I Drive: '89 Volvo 744Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Zarelli6 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT-n-FX4
I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift.

bull crap man, no one here is that stupid. youll blow your engine in a couple months shifting at 7000 rpms every time. ide shift at around 3500, thats what i do in my car. granted that barely in your power band but hey your not tryin to race. i dont even push my car up to 7000 if i am racing, 5500-5800 is about as far as it goes for me
Old 02-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1334
What I Drive: '02 SVT & '03 FX4 L2

FF Reputation: 1 SVT-n-FX4 Good Standing Member
Let me clarify that remark before I start some kind of flame-fest. I made that statement becuase of a thread I recently read on here where numerous people stated they take it up to about 7000, I am too lazy to search for that thread right now with Bowl preperation and all. I must have misread these statements as an "all the time" thing instead of a once in a while deal / track only.

edit: a quick search revealed it, sorry for any confusion
shift point

Last edited by SVT-n-FX4; 02-01-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2011
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 CD03SVT Good Standing Member
If you look in you manual it will give you all of your suggested shifting points. If I am not mistaken its 55mph into 6th. I just drive my SVT from point A to point B, and I am getting 25.5. I didn't think I was doing well on gas.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

CD03SVT wrote:

If you look in you manual it will give you all of your suggested shifting points. If I am not mistaken its 55mph into 6th

Until Sudgalvas reminded me, I forgot all about that little manual. It was tucked away under a bunch of other stuff in the zip-up cover. And you're close on the shifting point for 6th -- the manual actually says 60. The Shift Point for 5th is 55, which may account (at least in part) for my low milage 'cause I usually shift into 5th around 50 around town.

I just drive my SVT from point A to point B, and I am getting 25.5. I didn't think I was doing well on gas.

You're doing great on gas, if most of your driving is done on the street. As I recall, the mpg estimate on an SVT was considerably lower than on a standard Focus. When I get some time, I'll log on to the Ford site to check out the latest estimates.

Another reason I may not be not getting good milage is because I'm still several hundred miles below 6,000 on my odometer. The car may not be fully broken in yet.

BumbleBee
Old 02-01-2004, 08:01 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

SVT-n-FX4 wrote:

I think most of the replys you will receive will say they rev to 7k on every shift. Personally, I take it to 3k, cause I am a little more gas consious. As for that salesman telling you to never put it into 6th below 75mph, that sounds like complete bunk.

Remember: That wasn't a Ford saleman speaking to the SVT. That was a Mini salesman speaking to the Cooper S -- which is a car in a class all by itself, as far as I'm concerned. As stated previously, I test drove that car, and I'm here to tell ya: It's one fast car -- very fast for its size. And that car is Turbo charged to boot! I venture to say that around town one would never go higher than 4th gear in that baby.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be advised at lower speeds would be because it would put you below your powerband. I have demonstrated to my g/f a couple of times that you can put it into 6th at 30mph and it will still move, albeit very sluggishly. Funny enough, both cars have the same 6 speed as well.

But when you've done that little demo, didn't you hear the motor "laboring"? Most cars will tell you when you're in too high of a gear for the speed you're going.

Ohh, and that 18mpg does seem low, is the car broken in yet?

Possibly not. I still have about 500 or so to go before I reach 6,000.

BumbleBee

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.