Ford messed up my ECU!!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9003
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVTF 3-door #1372 of 4788 Born 04/23/02

FF Reputation: 1 NCC28983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down Ford messed up my ECU!!!!

So last week I had taken my car in to the local (14 miles away) ford dealership to fix some tsb's (creaking suspension, high idle reving, Clutch master cynlinder replacement) done. Yea that cost me $$$$.. So I get my car back on friday, it's been week now and the check engine light suddenly came on tonight on my way home from work. Immediately after this light pops on, I can't drive my engine above 3k rpms and there is soo much hessistation when stepping on the pedal. Swelled with rage I manage to drive my car to a local autostore to get a read out of the problem...

Turns out I have two problems. 1) is a P1120: Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering
2) P0122: TPS/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

Not sure what the problems relate to except my MAF Sensor, I'm assuming they checked all the sensors out before they decided to flash my ECU with the new update (Not sure which one that is) but somehow they screwed up something else on my car!!!

Basically I'm one P----ed off person at this moment, I brought the car in with a few quirks I could have slide by with, but now I have a car that barely drives!! Do they expect me to pay for this BS???????

Wanna have fun on the backroads? - get a focus
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12519
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SVT

Points 1,617, Level 23
Points: 1,617, Level: 23 Points: 1,617, Level: 23 Points: 1,617, Level: 23
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SVTbrit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Doesn't sound like you're having too much fun right now. However, what I would personally do is call the dealership, and ask for the Service Manager. I would neither rant nor rave at him wrt your issues, but calmly ask for his advice. Let him know (again calmly) that you're unhappy, and that you hope he can help you. Ask him if it would be possible to bring your car back to his Service Department, and have the problems resolved, at no cost.

Now, your car is a 2002, and probably out of warranty. How long out are you? If it's not too long ago that your warranty ran out, ask the hopefully friendly and helpful Service Manager, would it be possible to cover some of the said problems you originally went in for, on “good will" coverage. He'll need to get the Regional Service Manager to agree, but it can be done.

Given your grievance with the poor repair you've just encountered, I'd say you have some room to negotiate and make such requests! I’d certainly tell him that you’d only be too willing to use his department for future needs, if you find that his dealership can prove to you that they care about your needs. If not, let him know that you’ll be contacting Ford (Customer Support) and letting them know. Ford also normally has someone call you, to ask you to input to a survey (by phone), after any visit to the Service Department. If you give negative feedback, the dealership will call you back to resolve the problem (they don’t want the owner of the dealership to know!).

I wish you luck.

Cheers, Shane
Old 10-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Thank's for the Input I will certainly will take this into account tomorrow.... I'll keep it posted on what occurs

Old 10-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

SO the basic just of this is, I went back told them exactly what you said to say and they said "If we find out anything we did went wrong you will not be charged" and I was like "okay I'll let you guys look at it and tell me what the problem is before fixing it like you did last time".

So after an hour or so they come back to me and tell me that my tps is bad and that it's not their fault that it's messed up after they fixed the idlling problem a week ago. THey said "Had it been the o2 sensor they replaced then things would have been different". They then decide to charge me for the work and tell me if I want to install the new TPS it will cost me 300 bucks!. Even more pissed than ever before I tell them "Thanks but I don't want your service anymore, put my car back together I'm going somewhere else". SO I pay them their 81. 75 for labor and leave that place.

I go to autozone have the guy double check my problem on the check engine light for free (Turns out the be the same thing again) and Order the TPS part for 31.99!!!! to bad it gets in either today or tomorrow. So yesterday, I decided just to take a part the section of my car so I would save some time installing the sensor for when it comes in. Expecting this to be a hassle, I was in shocked that it only took less than 30 mins to disconnect the sensor wires, throttle cables, air filter box top off to get to the TB where the sensor is located. Now explain to me how Labor and price for this part would cost me 10-12x's the amount above???

NOW THE IMPORTANT PART! (Sorry this is long), I'm not a dumb person. Last week I handed them the TSB on my car b/c of it's rough idling problem. Keep in mind when I took my car to the dealership it did not have any check engine lights on and the car was driveable. Now after I took it in and got it back they said they replaced my O2 sensor (Without asking me if I wanted it installed!) and flashed my ecu. Since the sensors for exhaust (Forward and Aft of the cat), the fuel sensors, and the air sensors all play a big part in the idle of my car they must have inspected each one before they concluded I needed a new ecu update. SO is it safe to assume that they may have damaged a few of these sensors and charged me for their Screw Ups?

THe reason why I ask is because I noticed that under my hood the clamp that connects the hose to my TB was mangled alittle bit so they had to have checked my MAF S and my TPS....

IS there someplace I can write to and complain about this lovely job Ford has done and how I'm very unsatisfied with what occured???

Old 10-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
The dealership did nothing wrong here. Sensors can go out like a light bulb, no questions asked. The dealership has the much maligned position of just fixing a couple things for you and then coincidentally a couple other parts went bad. It took a week after getting the work done for this to show, it is not their fault.

How did it cost so much more to do it at the dealership? Labor hours. You are charged by the book. If the book says 2.2 hours, you are charged 2.2 hours.

What you are saying is the equivalent of going back to the a tire dealer after getting tires put on and blaming them for your transmission going out. They touched the driveline, they MUST have done something to the transmission. Thats what you are trying to say here.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Not quite GR...a better anology would be go to the tire shop after they put on your new tires to find that the rotor is now warped.

Sensors are crazy in how quick they can go out. Remember that at Autozone, you are going to pay a lot less then you would for the factory part, plus you aren't having to pay the premium for the labor. You also aren't getting a guarantee on the work either. If they had replaced the TPS sensor and that still didn't fix the problem, they would be obligated to not charge you for the TPS sensor, nor the labor (or at least apply those costs towards continuing to try and get the problem fixed).

Why the clips on the intake tube were mangled, I have no idea why they would even mess with that if all they did was replace an O2 sensor and flash the ECU. Those clips are a pain in the butt.

As far as what they did, or didn't do, your thoughts on it are your best guide. If you don't like how they handled the situation, you have every right to take your business elsewhere (including to your own house if you wish). I hate dealing with the dealership unless it entails something major. Now that I'm out of warranty (but in a self purchased extended warranty), I don't have to mess with any of their crap if I don't want to. If anything, you can chock it up to experience, and be thankful that you are intelligent enough to be able to learn what all is going on with your car and how to fix it yourself instead of always relying on others for that.
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

YEa I definitely have learned that I don't want to deal with their crap anymore. I would rather me make a mistake and not have to deal with all this red tape.....

THere was also a dispute about my extended warranty a week ago, bottom line to that is that they went ahead and fixed my other problems without notifying me/ asking me first!!!
I ended up being charged a lot of money for things i didn't necessarily want done on my car by them.

Plus the fact remains why would they mess with the clips if "There was nothing wrong with those sensors to begin with"? Doesn't make sense to me. "IF it's not broken don't try and fix it" but they replace my o2 sensor when there wasn't any problems with it when I took it in.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
" but they replace my o2 sensor when there wasn't any problems with it when I took it in.

just because there was no light it doesn't mean that the sensor wasn't bad. I think they should have called you to tell you... but then you did take it in to fix a problem. They fixed it. You were no more specific than they were. Was the car running better when you first picked it up?? If so, they did there job.
ST crew #18
Old 10-23-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
" just because there was no light it doesn't mean that the sensor wasn't bad. I think they should have called you to tell you... but then you did take it in to fix a problem. They fixed it. You were no more specific than they were. Was the car running better when you first picked it up?? If so, they did there job.
I agree to some extent but if you've ever taken a car in because there is problems with it (Hopefully this hasn't happened with your new ST) it is standard procedure for anyplace handling your car to give tell you what's wrong with your car, how much it costs to fix it, and if you want them to fix it or not, before they go ahead and do it. This did not occur at all for me. They went ahead and did this and only called me to tell me that my car was fixed.

Okay so lets say my o2 sensor is faulty and my light doesn't go on for it. HOW else would they know if it wasn't working properly??
LOGICAL answer: Must have visually inspected the sensors dealing with exhuast and intake (Air/fuel) to see if they were messed up. So if they had inspected more of these things that would probably explain why my clips near my MAF sensor and TPS sensors were tampered with.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 25507
What I Drive: 2008 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 1 bmaerhofer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine has been in the shop for
1. New Clutch System - 25K miles - Making a knocking in the transmission
2. Shifter Cable Broke- 26K miles - Did not have 5-6 gears
3. Main Seal Leak- 28K miles - When pulled engine out before and apart, never replaced seal
4. Check Engine Light - NOW

Each time I get a rental car, but I drive 50 miles to the dealer each time!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.