Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Headers GLOWING Red HOT !!

6K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  ztecpower 
#1 ·
Hey I just installed Kent cams Exhaust gear and it's set at "0" deg. and the header is glowing RED HOT, I was wondering if this is normal or do I have to play with the gear to get this symptom to go away ? I have 1 step colder plugs / livewire coil and spark plugs are gapped at .055
Is red hot headers related to timing ?
Your input would be appreciated !

#5 ·

SEE.... Now how about an answer ?
BTW this is at 1200 rpm (high Idle) for about 3 minutes
btw -2 this is not my car this is a friends car hence SVT forum.....

Troy.

#8 ·
dude F1..!!!! sorry i have no idea what's up wit that car... looks cool though, i mean HOT...

#10 ·
That's why I'm NOT removing my heat shield...[;)]

The headers on my Bronco get good and cherry red after a hard run.
I've never looked that closely at my SVTF though.

Is this the first time he's ever noticed it...after the cam gear install?

#11 ·
i would say this is not right . i would look at the exaust to make sure nothing got bent some how or as someone else said a plugged cat . as far as timing i dont think advancing/ retarding the timing would do this at idle ]
sorry best i can do for an answer
scott

#16 ·
You know you might be running too rich or lean I forget which but it could be your vavle timmimg is off maybe the vavle is bearly open I'm bearly .001 inch or something so a lot of hot gases are coming out too much or too soon or something but MAN those things are RED,CHERRY, and SMOKIN!!! good luck.

#17 ·
And this is in SVT performance why?

#18 ·
^^^btw -2 this is not my car this is a friends car hence SVT forum.....^^^
Or, are you thinking "Ford Focus Technical Chat" is more appropriate?
I do...but I'm getting blasted enough for moving stuff...[?|]

#20 ·
First off I would call dealer and see if on SVT header is known to get red hot, maybe a common thing dealers see more often (I would know I work for Subaru). If no know issue then check the cat by simple un-bolt flange right before cat and see if they still glow, if they do, it's related to your exhaust cam install. Cam is probably too far advanced and when ignition is happening exhaust valves start to open letting the "explosion" in to the header causing it to glow. That's what I would do to diagnose this problem. [thumb]

#21 ·
It is NOT normal for the SVT header to GLOW under normal idle and even street driving. We've already found the reason and a couple people have hit the subject on here. The intake cam is out of adjustment by about 7 to 8 degrees. leaving the valve open and letting hot gases in to the cylinder increasing exhaust gas temperatures. So we are taking the timing belt off and resetting top dead center because we failed to loosen the VCT cam when we installed the timing belt. Thanks for the help guys![thumb]

Troy.

#22 ·
Yeh I was going to say, that was clearly valve timing, you probably also did some minor wear on the head and valves. that kind of heat isnt meant for more than small bursts through the head. Having that much constant heat in the exhaust system means you were blowing shitloads of burning fuel out the exhaust. also means Cyl temps and piston face temps were going up.

Probably took a few miles off that plant.

I dont know what you mean by leaving the intake open longer you let more exhaust gasses in... that doesnt make a whole lotta sense. it's more like you had like spark timing off or exhaust valves mis timed.

#26 ·
Yea the Intake Timing is OFF that's why its causing a problem, I t was explained to me by a 30 year vetran Mechanic, That works on focuses, He says that the intake side is to far retarded and it's not letting enough fuel in to make a clean burn, what we are getting is too much air intake and not enough fuel in the system. The fuel to air ratio is WAY off and is causing a hotter burn thus causing the glowing header, and It won't cause any long term damage seeing that we didn't drive the vehicle anywhere, we let it Idle for about 3 minutes and shut it off once we found out that the header was glowing. Today we are going to reset TDC and make sure everything is lined up and re-install the belt and fire her up ! Hopefully everything goes well ! Once again thanks for your help guys !

Troy. [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.