Tranny Time - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1793
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DilSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Tranny Time

First, is there a way to gear a 5 speed transmission close like the SVT

Second, does any trans have a 4 wheel drive option like the rally car

Third, will it fit on the SVT

Fourth, how much will have to be changed to make a SVT all wheel drive with the same gears as the current SVT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sounds expensive... the gearing isn't the issue...

Stillen made an all-wheel-drive Celica...Ligenfelter made an all-wheel-drive GMC Sonoma with 700 hp at a cost of $137,027.

The English RS Focus has a 5 speed tranny. The Acura RSX 5 speed tranny and the RSX-S 6 speed tranny have the exact same top gear ratio, ie, the 5th gear from the 5 speed and the 6th gear from the 6 speed are the same... whoa! BUT, the 5 speed is obviously not going to be as closely geared.

You can get a 5 speed with close gearing, but then have to deal with either:
A) high RPM at freeway speeds
B) really tall first gear so freeway cruising isn't painful

Do you have $20K to throw at your SVT???

My advice, save $37K and get a Caterham Super Light R, it comes with a 200 hp SVT engine, 6 speed tranny, weighs 1080 lbs. With 0-60 mph in 3.4s, it will beat most production cars, no?

Or $40K for a Lotus Elise...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2731
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 & 2002 SE

FF Reputation: 1 PitchBlackPZEV Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
no
Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
1.) You'll probably have to look into aftermarket trannys, but maybe you can change the gears.

2.) In order to get 4-wheel drive you need a transfercase... It will be totally custom and pretty expensive on a vehicle that is 2wd. I know with trucks that 2wd and 4wd use different frames.

3.) Having never owned a Focus (looking at one however) and not knowing what will bolt up to the engine, I cannot answer this quesion. I doubt it however.

4.) I couldn't really say what needs to be changed, but you'll at least need a differential for the back, a drive shaft for the back, a t-case, and lots of time. I read in a magazine where Ford dropped a S/C'd 4.6L V8 in a Focus and made it rear wheel drive (the way it should be) using the Cobras IRS suspension. I believe the cost of the conversion was $60,000 for the mods alone! For trucks, I know that it is much easier, and a heck of a lot cheaper to sell a 2wd truck and buy a 4wd than it is to convert.

I personally think you'd be better off getting the SVT if you are wanting a close-geared transmission... maybe the 6-speed from the SVT will bolt up instead of the 5 speed.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-31-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Lies and rumours I've read say that the an AWD has been created in the US with rear end drivetrain and suspension from a Ford Forester.............I'll have to hunt the info and see if I can find it.

-Later

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.