decisions, decisions... what would you do? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,069, Level 17
Points: 1,069, Level: 17 Points: 1,069, Level: 17 Points: 1,069, Level: 17
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 2 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
decisions, decisions... what would you do?

well guys, i live in wisconsin with the likes of goat roper and clegg. here in wisconsin, winter sucks donkey dik... especially for car enthusiasts. i got my car in march, and plan on keeping it for quite some time, 5 years minimum, maybe forever. i've done a buncha crap to it already, and have been saving for a custom tune from tom.

also, in february, i'm going to be moving out of my house (my fricken roommates are driving me mad!!!), so i have to have money saved for 1st mo rent and sec deposit, which i'll be splitting with someone.

i work two jobs from april to nov. 1st, and in the winter things get tight so i like to also have money saved for emergencies. here's the problem... so, i WAS planning on driving my svt in the winter. i bought all season tires and sh$t so i wouldn't have any problems. Now, i'm not so sure. its such a rare car, i just don't wanna ruin it. i mean, its no Z06 or Viper, but its MY car and i love it. i found a good line on some mid to late 90's LT-1 350 Chevy Caprice's that were all ran as taxi cabs in Chicago. a friend of a friend has like 8 of em. he said he gets em all in bulk and can sell some real cheap to people he knows, and he makes it up selling the others for a little more. i can get one for 500 bucks with something like 150k, decent body, runs good, and its not yellow (ugh!). this is the price of the tune i was gonna get... but i'd be preserving my car for years and years of future svt excitement.

i can always get the tune once i start back up at my other job next year in april, and just park it until then. its nice to have an extra car anyways. i only drive 5 minutes to work, and have to leave my car in a parking lot for 9 hours where the ford gods only know what could happen to it. cars get keyed and crap all the time.

so, i know what i SHOULD do, i've just been looking so forward to getting my car tuned that i'm having a hard time putting it off til next year. i just need a slap in the face in the right direction here guys... tell me to park the damn thing and go whip shitties in the caprice all winter and i'll be fine! thanks for the support!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
park the damn thing and go whip shitties in the caprice all winter
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 10-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^Stole my friggin answer...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yep, get the caprice, you'll be glad you did. I want a second car to drive to work and beat on and save my SVTF for weekends and what-not and if I could get a deal like that I would jump on it!!
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,069, Level 17
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
thanks guys. i'm pretty sure thats whats going on. just needed the boot in the a$$... now i just gotta tell tom the bad news. i feel sorry for that caprice. i used to have to drive my 5.0 t-bird in the winter. i was 19, and couldn't afford a winter car. that sucked. those cars are horrible in the snow. not to mention, i couldn't afford winter tires for it either. just threw a couplea 50lb bags of lime in the trunk for traction. it... kinda helped. 4.10 gears did NOT help. this shouldn't be as much a pain as the tbird. my buddy has a grand marquis with good all season tires, and he gets around fine up here. for 500 bucks you can barely find a damn car that runs anymore!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9221
What I Drive: 2005 Brilliant Red Audi 2.0T Q

FF Reputation: 1 RedSVT 03 Good Standing Member
Sounds like a good idea, but be warned about that LT1 in the Caprice. It uses what is called an OptiSpark, optical distributor. This is used on all LT1 engines, found in the Camaro, Trans Am, Firebird Formula, and Corvette, along with the Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, Impala SS, and a few select Cadillacs. This opitcal distributor has the potential to cause you major heartache, and will disrupt your cash flow. The item is not cheap, it is not cheap to replace, not cheap to have a dealership do, not easy to do yourself, and is a major pain in the a-- if you have to do it.

The optical distributor will malfunction if ANY moisture builds up in it. That isn't too bad you are thinking, but the great folks at GM decided to put the OptiSpark DIRECTLY under the weep hole for the water pump. Great minds at work if you ask me. They do not all malfunction, but have the potential to do so. The car will obviously not run great, if at all if there is moisture in the OptiSpark.

I am speaking from experience here. I am the previous owner of a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am convertible, equipped with the OptiSpark. I have had quite the experience in dealing with that distributor, and will never again own any LT1 powered vehicle, let alone a GM product.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14160
What I Drive: 2005 liquid grey zx4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 delirious131 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well i am a lt1 camaro ss owner right now. Have been so for going on 6 years now. I have heard of the similar problems, but I can honestly say that I havent had any kind of a problem with it at all. PLus the lt1 will keep goin forever from what i have seen. I am not speaking from my own experience cause i only have 36,000 miles on my 96 but, these cars can last a very long time. I love the lt1 engine, and will stand by it. I say awesome deal, abnd you should jump all over it. Just don't forget about your focus.
Custom exhaust 2.5" w, magnaflow muffler
blance shaft removed
Cosworth Stage 2 (header, camshafts, throttle body, ecu flash)
Marcy Springs and Retainers
Cosworth intake manifold
Old 10-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9221
What I Drive: 2005 Brilliant Red Audi 2.0T Q

FF Reputation: 1 RedSVT 03 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by delirious131
well i am a lt1 camaro ss owner right now. Have been so for going on 6 years now. I have heard of the similar problems, but I can honestly say that I havent had any kind of a problem with it at all. PLus the lt1 will keep goin forever from what i have seen. I am not speaking from my own experience cause i only have 36,000 miles on my 96 but, these cars can last a very long time. I love the lt1 engine, and will stand by it. I say awesome deal, abnd you should jump all over it. Just don't forget about your focus.
There are a lot of LT1 owners that have never had problems. There are also a lot of them that have, and from my experience, it was horrible. I am glad that you haven't had any problems. Just be forewarned that problems will arise with that setup, I think it is unavoidable.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,069, Level 17
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
hey, thanks for the warnings guys. my good friend has a 93 lt1 camaro with 120,000 miles on it. i don't recall him having any serious issues. this is why i love this site. hundreds of people's experiences flowing through at your disposal. thanks again.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25626
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Clegg Good Standing Member
I got me a shitty Mazda 323 Beater wtih 215K miles on it for a winter car :) its fuel efficient, cuts through snow good, and was 100$ :) The foci has a full set of snows for it, but I dont plan on driving in much salt with it.
2008 Blue VDub R32 #3858 of 5000

Traded in: 2002 Infra-Red SVT #2992 of 4788 Born on June 20th 2002

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.