Focus Fanatics Forum banner

"How To" VCT Trouble-TSB 03-6-07

16K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  blkSVTfocus 
#1 ·
Tsb 03-6-07

Ford today performed the above TSB on my car and replaced he VCT solinoid. I cannot find any record on it can someone help with any info on it or the actual TSB?[?]

#2 ·
That is a real TSB, see below.

FORD: 2002-2003 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated with Diagnostic Troubles codes (DTCs) P1381/P0011 Variable Cam Timing over-advanced (Bank 1) and/or P1383/P0012 Variable Cam Timing over-retarded (Bank 1) stored in memory. The vehicle may also exhibit a rough idle, reduced power condition, and/or stall at idle. This may be caused by:

Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) control system stuck
Intake camshaft CMP trigger wheel mispositioned or loose
Engine Cam timing incorrect
Electrical conditions

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure to verify the Cam Timing, Intake Camshaft CMP Trigger wheel position, and VCT solenoid operation, then service as necessary.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify camshaft timing.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise so that the second timing mark in rotation on the crankshaft damper is aligned with the raised mark on the oil pan (Figure 1).
Locate timing peg installation hole, remove plug, and install TDC timing peg tool T97P-6000-A (Global Number 303-574) (Figure 2) with timing peg installed verify the crankshaft will not rotate in a clockwise direction.
Remove Engine Camshaft Cover and Timing Cover, per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C - Timing Belt, perform only the steps of the procedure that are necessary to remove the camshaft cover and timing cover.
NOTE: IN ORDER TO REMOVE THE TIMING COVER IT IS NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE WATER PUMP PULLEY AND ACCESSORY DRIVE IDLER PULLEY AFTER REMOVING THE CRANKSHAFT DAMPENER.

Attempt to install the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH (Global Number 303-465), into the slots in the rear of the camshafts.
If the alignment tool does insert into the slots, Engine Base Timing is correct. Proceed to Step 2.
If the alignment tool does not insert into the slots, the Base Engine Timing may be incorrect, proceed to Step 1e.
Remove the crankshaft timing peg.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise one revolution.
Reinstall the timing peg, verify that the engine will not rotate in a clockwise direction.
Attempt to install the Camshaft Alignment tool. If the Camshaft Alignment tool will now insert, engine timing is correct proceed to Step 2.
If the alignment tool will not insert, then base engine timing is off. Reset camshaft timing per Workshop Manual section 303-01C - Timing belt, perform only the steps of the procedure that are necessary to reset the camshaft timing - Continue to Step 3.
NOTE: TO AVOID VALVE DAMAGE ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT COUNTERCLOCKWISE 1/3 OF A TURN, TO LOCATE ALL CYLINDERS OFF OF TDC, BEFORE LOOSENING THE CAMSHAFT PULLEY RETAINING BOLTS, OR USE AN OPEN ENDED WRENCH TO PREVENT THE CAMSHAFT FROM ROTATING AFTER THE BOLTS ARE LOOSENED.

Inspect the intake camshaft position sensor trigger wheel alignment. With camshaft alignment tool, and crank timing peg installed, there should be 15-16mm between the top edge of the CMP sensor and the CMP trigger wheel tooth (Figure 3 and Figure 4).
If trigger wheel alignment does not appear to be correct, replace the intake camshaft. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01C - Camshafts.
If trigger wheel alignment does appear correct, verify VCT Solenoid Wiring and connections. If OK, replace the VCT Solenoid assembly, torque the VCT Solenoid retainer bolt to 88 Lb-in. (10 N-m).
Reassemble. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C - Timing Belt, perform only the steps of this procedure that are necessary to reassemble the engine.
NOTE: WHEN TORQUING THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST CAMSHAFT PULLEYS IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE LOCKING PLIERS TO INSURE THE CAMS DO NOT MOVE. ALSO REMOVE THE CAMSHAFT ALIGNMENT BAR DURING THIS PROCEDURE TO PREVENT CAMSHAFT BREAKAGE.

NOTE: REINSTALL THE WATER PUMP PULLEY, TORQUE BOLTS TO 18 Lb-ft (25 N-m) AND ACCESSORY DRIVE IDLER PULLEY, TORQUE BOLT TO 29 Lb-ft (40 N-m) AFTER REINSTALLING THE TIMING COVER AND BEFORE THE CRANKSHAFT DAMPENER.

Start the engine and monitor VCTADVERR PID using WDS, or CAMERR PID using NGS Tester, the PID should equal 0 ±1 degree at idle.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage and Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
030607A Check And Adjust Engine Timing (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.5 Hrs.
030607B Check Engine Timing. If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance. If Incorrect Replace Intake Camshaft (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 3.0 Hrs.
030607C Check Engine Timing If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance If Correct Verify VCT Solenoid Wiring And Repair As Necessary (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.5 Hrs.
030607D Check Engine Timing If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance If Correct Verify VCT Solenoid Wiring And Replace VCT Solenoid (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.3 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6250 12

OASIS CODES:
607000, 607400, 608000, 608400, 611000, 611500, 698298

Figure 1 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 2 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 3 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 4 - Article 03-6-7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company

#8 ·
This deserves to be a "sticky".
Something tells me with the miles we're all rolling up, we might be seeing see this problem more often.[:(]

FORDSVTPARTS;
Any way to get those Figure images?
Or, might there be a copyright problem...

#10 ·
My kid had a Zetec Contour with variable timing on exhaust side and the actuator stuck. Ford did a high powered oil system flush of some sort and it didn't help. That actuator was a $600 part and half a day to replace it. It may be nothing like our system, but the precaution would be the same, use good quality oil and replace it fairly often. I use the syn blend Castrol and replace every 5000 miles with all highway driving. If I did a lot of warm weather or around town driving, I would probably go full synthetic and more frequent changes.

#13 ·
EURO04SVT said:
Magnusson-moss act they cant do that. You can report them and they will change there tune.
^^^^^^^
probably mis-spelled
No, they won't change their tune. They don't have to. It really doesn't matter what M-M says, it is all for show. Who do you think will run out of money for the legal fight first? You and me or Ford? Besides, it is pretty easy to show that any drive-train modification like UDPs could cause any kind of drive-train/engine failure. If you choose to mod the car, you choose to gamble that you will get issues fixed. You gotta pay to play...

#14 ·
Mork said:
No, they won't change their tune. They don't have to. It really doesn't matter what M-M says, it is all for show. Who do you think will run out of money for the legal fight first? You and me or Ford? Besides, it is pretty easy to show that any drive-train modification like UDPs could cause any kind of drive-train/engine failure. If you choose to mod the car, you choose to gamble that you will get issues fixed. You gotta pay to play...

The war has been fought already and why would it be for show?? Beleive me they will change there tune I have worked for FMC for about 7 years now. You have go over a service manager to get things done. Ford sells UDPs out of the FR catalog for F%!*s sake. If you had cam gears that could be a bit more of a problem unless you had a Ford dealership install them.

#15 ·
A little bit from the Magnusson-moss act

ITS NOT A "SHOW" ITS VERY REAL AND FEDERAL

Get it in Writing

If a dealership denies warranty coverage, they should be willing to do so in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and correspondence in addressing the warranty denial.

Contact the Vehicle Manufacturer's Zone Representative

If a car manufacturer backs your warranty, and you have a dispute with the dealer about either service or coverage, contact the local manufacturer's representative. The local or zone representative has the authority to adjust and make decisions about warranty service remedies or repairs to satisfy customers.

Some manufacturers are also willing to repair certain problems in specific models free of charge, even if the manufacturer's warranty does not cover the problem. Ask the zone representative or the service manager if there is such a policy.

The procedure for contacting your zone representative is usually provided in the vehicle owner's manual. This information can also be obtained from a dealer, or by calling the manufacturer's customer service number, as listed in the carmaker's owner's manual. Present your case to the zone representative. Be sure to indicate how the dealer responded to your information, especially if dealership personnel were notably uncooperative, etc. Once again, be sure to get as much information in writing as you can; request that any determinations or actions which are promised by the zone representative be confirmed by a letter or a fax.

Contact the Vehicle Manufacturer Directly

You may find that contact with the zone representative does not achieve resolve of the matter. If you are still not satisfied, the next step is to contact the vehicle manufacturer directly. Most carmakers maintain a contact office or a special department that is responsible for dealing with warranty issues (see Attachment B).

Using the information you have gathered and any additional information you may have to supplement your case, forward a letter directly to the vehicle manufacturer's customer service office (sometimes called dispute resolution board or something similar). Be sure to explain your situation in detail and in a logical, easy-to-understand manner. Provide as much detail as you can about your contacts with the dealer and the zone representative. Do not hesitate to state if you felt you were treated improperly or unfairly by either. The vehicle manufacturer will almost always respond to you with a letter; sometimes promptly, sometimes not. Again, be sure to retain all correspondence in case you need it for future use. Generally, the vehicle manufacturer has the greatest interest in ensuring your satisfaction; they want you to remain loyal to their brand. As such, they will likely make a good-faith effort to resolve the issue particularly if there is a known pattern of similar failures. If there is a request for any additional information, be sure to keep a record of what you send. If the manufacturer should still decide against you, make sure that their refusal letter provides an explanation of how they believe the aftermarket part caused the problem.

Local Approaches You Can Try

If you cannot get satisfaction from the dealer, the zone representative or the manufacturer, contact one or all of the following:

Better Business Bureau
State Attorney General
Local Department of Motor Vehicles
State Consumer Protection Office
Many states also have county and city offices that intervene or mediate on behalf of individual consumers to resolve complaints.

You also might consider using a dispute resolution organization to arbitrate your disagreement if you and the dealer are willing. Under the terms of many warranties, this may be a required first step before you can sue the dealer or manufacturer. Check your warranty to see if this is the case.

If you bought the vehicle from a franchised dealer, you may be able to seek mediation through the Automotive Consumer Action Program (AUTOCAP). AUTOCAP is a dispute resolution program coordinated nationally by the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA: 800/252-6232), and sponsored through state and local dealer associations in many cities. Check with the dealer association in your area to see if they operate a mediation program.

#16 ·
blah blah blah, Euro. None of that means squat. Try it and see how far you get...

1. Your car will not be fixed while you fight them and, knowing Ford and their lawyers, that fight will span many months, if not years. Do you want to wait that long with an un-usable car?

2. If you have the money to fight Ford over it in court, which will happen unless you get really lucky with the dealer, you would probably not be driving a Focus. Do you think they care if you are happy with your $15k car? If you had a $150k Ford GT you might get some respect.

The 03/04 Cobra crowd has a ton of experience with denied warranty claims and not a one that I know of has gotten any remedy using M-M. Most end up getting tired of being without their cars and just upgrade whatever failed. A few have gotten them lemoned but that is a different law and much more effective because it doesn't have to do with anything but time in the shop for the same issue.

The car is warrantied as is, not modified. If you read the fine print, just because it is sold by Ford racing doesn't mean your warranty is still valid if you install FR UDPs. Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. If you change your crank pulley, you mess with just about everything drivetrain and engine related.

That being said, you rarely hear of a dealer denying a warranty claim on a focus because most of the common problems are pretty cheap for them to fix and, besides a blower or turbo, none of the available mods really add much power to add stress to the car. On the 03/04 Cobras with defective heads from the manufacturer, that is an expensive fix which requires pulling the engine (meaning an inspection by SVT) so the SVT rep would typically deny coverage if there was ANY sign of a modification, even a CAI.

It is all about $$. If a dealer won't help you, don't plan on M-M saving your butt unless you got the bones and time to wait it out...

#17 ·
Getting back to the VCT solinoid, on 04 svt, the solinoid went bad and shut the car off, it would not start, drive or anything like that. There was no warning or anything before it happened. They first did not Know what it was, then they try saying that it was a saftey build in to shut the car off went sobody flat shifts the car. This was one week after I bought the car and only 275 miles on the car, I did not even take it past 3,000 rpms. That when they called ford and they told them what it was. It took them two weeks to get the part, (no rental because I was under 25 years old). My car had to be towed to the dealer. When it got there, my two front wheels had rub marks on them from the hold down they put on my tires when they towed it. The dealer and the towing company said that they did not do it and were not responsible. That is when I said that I did not want the car and my money back. That day they had a guy fix the wheels back to new. It cost the dealer $145.00 a wheel to get them fixed. All of this was because of the failing vct. Now it is 1 1/2 years old and 35,000 miles on it and the dealer will not look at the car because it is consider highly modified. I called ford and they said just to try other dealers or return the car to stock to get it fixed. Ford can not make a dealer fix a car. So today I retured my car to stock and it goes to a different dealer next week.
-So in short, just find a dealer that will work with you or return the car to stock every time you have a problem with it.
Andrew

#19 ·
Ford legal can have all the money in the world to throw at it, but it's cheaper for them to keep a class action lawsuit off their hands by just saying "yes"

especially since it's a well documented issue with SVTFs and has a TSB out for it. They don't release TSBs because people who have heavily modded cars are having issues, they do it because ALL the cars do.

Anyways I had this same thing done, but I don't think it was a TSB at the time. When did they release this?

#21 ·
Just for reference and an alternative repair, Tom at focus-power has designed a VCT eliminator for I think a 100 bucks.

#22 ·
WEll I am another one that just had the VCT replace and along with throttle body (sticky throttle reponse) and while it was in I had them check TSB and there is a recall out for corrosive states that the rear door latches need replaced I thinks since I have the ZX5. I only have 30000 on my and the VCT made the engine light come on and ran rough. My dealership acted like idoits when I said anything about mods so mine has stayed bone stock[:(]

#24 ·
this tsb is exactly what is wrong with my car and i brought it to my svt ford dealership and its been there for two weeks now and i had to pay $700 for a new timing belt cause they thought that was the problem well it wasnt now he is just guessing on it i dont think he knows what he is doing because i no us techs are trained to look for tsbs if you come to a problem like this(i am in training at wyotech). I know there are ford techs on here so i would like to know if there is away to get my money back for there miss diagnose and what should i do since this tech cant find the problem?

#25 ·
I've got an '04 SVTF and I'm waiting on my 3rd solenoid. Car threw code # P1380.... This whole VCT stuff is really beginning to get old. Any ideas...bad replacement, shorted out harness, PCM issue???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.