Downshift - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Downshift

I don't know if this has been posted b4 but this was just something i discovered the other day while experimenting with downshifting. While riding around in my friends integra i noticed when he downshifted his car didn't nosedive and the car didn't hesitate at all. SO i asked him how he did it. And applied it to my car

First time i downshifted to second from 4th by holding the gas down and quickly shifting into second and letting it go .. i found that the car didn't nosedive or hesitate at all the rpms just flew to 6500 and all the way up to redline. I tried it in 3rd and the same thing happened. So just a alittle info to help anyone out who hates the nosedive the car takes when downshifting quickly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Feels good doesn't it?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 AM   #3
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
It's called matching revs, and the idea in all actuality is to match the appropriate engine RPM for the given gear in which you plan to downshift. Sometimes people use it for engine braking where the compression slows down the car (great for autocrossing when downshifting into first). Usually if you just gun your car when downshifting, you won't get the usual nosedive because you're engaging the engine to accelerate which shifts the weight backwards even with the abrupt deceleration due to the downshift.

It's a good technique to learn and vital to heel and toe shifting, but don't just randomly practice it. Check certain RPMs and speeds for a particular gear, and try matching the RPM with the throttle while shifting from higher gear to neutral (this is when you hit the gas pedal to match the particular rev you're looking for) and into the lower gear you're wanting. The reason why you want to practice with a gear and speed you know is because you don't want to wear out your clutch from the mistakes you'll make.

You can also due clutchless shifting. That's simply where you put the car in neutral (best to practice in sixth gear since the revs fall slower and are lower) and shift the stick into the appropriate gear after matching the RPMs needed for the gear. You should get a nice snitch. Otherwise, you'll get a great grinding noise. I've only practiced it in sixth gear about 4-5 times, and it's worked every time. I'm not brave enough to continually practice on the other gears.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FocusInAlaska
Feels good doesn't it?
sure does... doesn't feel like the cars going to break something lol
Old 10-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21449
FF Reputation: 1 Housoft Good Standing Member
Hey, I'm not trying to sound like an ******* here, but you didn't know about rev matching? How long have you been driving stick...

2nd thing I ever did after learning how to get the car to move was learn how to rev match. I'm self taught btw, driving my car off the lot was first time behind manual for more than 90seconds.

I am looking for either some 5spoke SVT wheels or RS wheels at a good price, send me a PM (preferably with existing tires.. preferably with existing tred heheheh) or maybe even some of the euro 15 (is it 15?) spoke wheels, black.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5755
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT SVT Squad#

FF Reputation: 1 jboylan Good Standing Member
Yeah my first car had a completely trashed clutch, so I pretty much had to drive clutchless.

I've only done it a few times in the SVT, haven't really made it a habit.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Housoft
Hey, I'm not trying to sound like an ******* here, but you didn't know about rev matching? How long have you been driving stick...

2nd thing I ever did after learning how to get the car to move was learn how to rev match. I'm self taught btw, driving my car off the lot was first time behind manual for more than 90seconds.
i know about rev matching but i had never tried it while racing someone and downshifting. i was too scared i was gonna either miss or grind the gear. and ive been driving stick for only 2 years. First car was auto.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27384
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black svt zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Crimson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm assuming you never down shifted and just braked in nuetral? And for turns didn't match revs? Ehh, guess you learned late, 2 years is an awful long time to not learn about matching revs, poor little car...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Matching revs is pretty easy and I do it without thinking... pretty much learned how to drive stick in my SVT (owned for like 13 months).

It's pretty easy to shift without the clutch - even downshifting without the clutch is really no problem as long as the revs are low. I don't make a habit of shifting without the clutch, but it's nice to know how to do when the time comes!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
I'm assuming you never down shifted and just braked in nuetral? And for turns didn't match revs? Ehh, guess you learned late, 2 years is an awful long time to not learn about matching revs, poor little car...
Yes i have done that i learned that along time ago but i never did that during racing someone from a roll.. thats all i wastalking about i wasn't saying anything bout normal driving.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.