Add me to the RANT list! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26814
What I Drive: 05 Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 03_SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Add me to the RANT list!

Okay, I don't like to rant but this is just flat out ridiculus. I've had my SVT Focus for 4 weeks now and since that time, I have experienced some of the quirks and annoyances that I've heard others post about. It wouldn't be that bad if it was a rare occassion; however, I've been getting the "shutting off" problem just about every day now when taking a turn. Not only that, I have that strange sound coming from either the front or back of the car when turning left. If, all that wasn't bad enough, I'm starting to experience the occassional sputter/falling on its face after car has just been started and begin to take off. That problem isn't all that bad just irritating as I attribute it to the onset of cold weather. Oh yeah, I have some "minor" flickering of the lights on my dash now and then but understand this is fairly common/normal and due to the Focus having a small altenator. So, what should I do? I want to take the car to the dealer but don't think they will do anything to solve the problem or tell me the problem isn't covered under warranty. At this time, I am not ready or financially prepaired to dump a lot of money into a custom tune or performance parts that might help reduce or solve the problem. Actually, until my warranty is no more, I don't want to mod the car right now. I'm pretty happy with the power level of the car stock and of course the K&N panel filter in the stock air box adds gobs of power, LOL. Has anyone else taken their Focus in to the dealer for the same problems or similiar and gotten improved results? I don't want to let the dealer keep my car in the shop for days as I would be forced to let my wife pull the mustang out and drive it! I'd have to take her Escape while she drove the stang to work as the neighborhood wouldn't be too fond of me starting my mustang up at 4 a.m. to go to work, LOL. So, what can I do besides take it to the dealer? I really like this little car, it a blast to drive and handles pretty well for stock but the problems are building up and I'm starting to debate the idea of selling it already. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

#674 of 3985
SOLD
FOR SALE 93LX 5.0: H/C/I/Exhaust/Vortech/IC
481 RWHP/455 RWTQ 5600RPM, pump gas, 11:5 A/F, NO LT's
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
an aftermarket tune would most likely fix most all of your problems, but then could potentially void your warranty

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
double check that your focus has the latest pcm calibration. you may be only running the RLA6 instead of YRF0. go to the dealership you got it from, complain about the problems, get a print out of the tsb that describes the repair (reflashing the computer to YRF0) and ask your service department if it has been performed. if it has already been performed, you're only chance of fixing your problems is a tune, but if it hasn't been performed...it'll help. it's not a cure-all, it won't completely eliminate the issues, but it'll help a lot
Old 10-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
/fail

Fan#: 2799
What I Drive: F150 FX4

Points 9,721, Level 66
Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rfinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT_BMXer
an aftermarket tune would most likely fix most all of your problems, but then could potentially void your warranty
I guess it really depends on your dealer with that one because I have had my HIA tune in my car about 80% of the time i have had it in the dealership for a fix. I have yet to be confronted about anything........knock on wood.

"When everything works, it's a sheer joy to drive." - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 10-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Well, I'm pretty sure that my carfax/dealer record state that my SVTF has already had a reflash of some sort. I'll have to double check to make sure. I agree that my best bet would probably be an aftermarket tune. So, anyone able to give me an idea of how much an SCTExcalibrator2 with custom tune would be or how about this "Tom's Tune" that I keep hearing about? What is better? i'm really looking to stay away from the mods as much as it is itching the crap out of me to do them but not until the warranty is up and then its SRI, Random Cat-pipe, UDP's, and the ZEX wet kit but until then, I'm trying to stick with stock. Well, I guess, I'll just have to take her into the dealer and hope that they know what they are doing. Do, I need to bring a TSB print out with me or is this something the dealer will be able to do and inform me of? Just want to get these annoyances fixed. After all, I really do like this little car.
#674 of 3985
SOLD
Old 10-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #6

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
as far as custom tunes go there is a sticky that has reviews. i thnk a custom tune will run you around 500 but i could be mistaken
SVT squad #7
Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's the deal:

You've got an SVT, that means you get a free or nearly free rental, keep the mustang in the garage.

SVTFs are pretty difficult cars at the beginning of their lives, it's as if Ford didn't quite finish the job. Your car is going to spend quite a bit of time in the shop getting finished and fixing the TSBs that have come up since you bought it.

A tune for a SVTF is absolutely the biggest bang for the buck you can get! The favs in this forum are Tom's Tune ($515) and the Hypnotic Tune ($325) As for what's better, until someone can try each tune side by side, no one may ever know. The people who bought Tom's tune love it, the people who bought the Hypnotic tune love it .

In either case the tune fixes such a wide range a drivability issues, it's simply amazing.

Oh yeah, warranty, just flash your car back to the stock tune before you take it to the shop.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Does anyone know where I can get a complete listing of TSB's for the Focus to take to the dealer? I have a service appt. tomorrow and am dropping the car off tonight. I found this TSB number 04-6-1 explaining the dreaded creak, grind, whatever noise from the front of the car. Also, how would I find out for sure without asking the dealer if a rental car is a standard part of owning an SVT product? Just curious as I wasn't able to find anything via Google.
#674 of 3985
SOLD
Old 10-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
TSB don't necessary get fixed or tend to by the dealer.
It's at their discretion if they feel an issue you are having is related or can be resolved by the TSB.

Also, your dealer should be able to enter your VIN number and see if the YRF0 flash has been performed. But that's if it's a Ford authorized dealer that has access to Ford database.

2003 TSBs
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Well, I appreciate the advice and clarity regarding TSB's and Fords take on them. I understand that a TSB is not something that Ford has to address or fix unless they determine that the problem is related to the TSB and by performing it, the problem will be resolved. I dropped my car off at the dealer last night and provided the service tech 2 TSB's describing my problems exactly. He looked them over and agreed that these are issues that he's seen with the Foci. Anyway, he seemed to suggest that our cars have a fuel pump issue and that the reason my car was dying while going around a turn was due to the fuel pump not being submerged in fuel. Not sure about that since I don't exactly pay attention at what fuel level my car dies when taking a turn but I suppose it might be possible. I'm a bit confused though as I have always heard that the Focus pumps are top notch especially from the mustang crowd. So, I'm at work bitting my nails and hoping to hear good news from the dealer. I really don't want to pay for something that is a known and proven issue to fix with our cars, especially since its still under warranty. I'll see what happens. Oh, BTW, I didn't get any rental last night or discount on one. Matter of fact, it wasn't mentioned or offered. Just thought I'd share that since someone mentioned that SVT owners get either a free rental or discount on a rental.
#674 of 3985
SOLD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.