Got me an '04 SVT!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2783
What I Drive: CD Silver '04 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 675datsun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Got me an '04 SVT!!

Hi everyone, I purchased a CD silver '04 SVT Focus Tuesday and I'm in love with it. The handling, power, interior....all excellent. I like the six-spoke wheels too!
I want to take care of it, so here are some questions/concerns I have:
1) Will I ruin the engine by flooring it occasionally(I have 600 miles now)?

2) I drive 75-80mph on the freeway, can I still expect 28mpg?

3) I've noticed that the 1-2 shift sometimes produces a mechanical "Clunk" sound....is this a warning sound or normal?

4)Should I wait until the 5,000 miles factory oil change, or get one sooner?

5)I can't find the max speed(mph) for each gear before upshifting listed anywhere in the manuals...anyone know?

Thanks for the help!
BTW, build 1/24 scale models and once the SVT Focus kit comes out I'm building a replica of my car....so if anyone wants one let me know
Alvin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 02:28 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2769
FF Reputation: 1 Cresho Good Standing Member
I dont know about the clunk sound...........
Old 01-23-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2769
FF Reputation: 1 Cresho Good Standing Member
ohh...shifting..............shift at 7000 rpm
Old 01-23-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2664
What I Drive: 03 silver SVT focus

FF Reputation: 1 gonezo's SVT Good Standing Member
I wouldnt be shifting at 7000 this soon, maybe 5 at the most for the first 2-3000 miles. And that clunking might be because you might not be used to the tranny and poppin too soon. It took me awhile before i got used to the 6 speed. Much different from a ZX2 manual.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2704
What I Drive: Black SVT Focus EUROSTYLED

FF Reputation: 1 Racer X SVT Good Standing Member
Oil Change every 3000, be on the safe side and your car will need it if you have a happy foot and like to race at times.

Also you can drive the car a little hard but try not to red line it. You wanna finish breaking the car in. I got almost 5000 miles on mine and i still try to take it ez.

I think the SVT gets about 21 mpg because its more of perfomance car then a econo car. Make sure its premium. Its the price you pay for an svt but i'm willing to live with it.

Welcome aboard
Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Congrats !!!! What color is the interior?? Just wondering. But congrats!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 125
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 meinschaft Good Standing Member
Congrats on your '04. I'm on my second fSVT - the first, an '03, got totalled on last 12/28. The '04 is still being broken in. But to your questions.

1. The transmission clunk is not something I've experienced with either fSVT. So you better keep an 'ear' on it, take it back to the dealer, so's they have a record of the problem. That could save you later, warranty-wise.

2. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't believe it's a good thing to thrash a brand new car. My advice is to drive it 'normal' but not like you're at a race track. I do know that my '03 fSVT got smoother and faster as it broke-in.

3. An old mechanic/gear-head friend of mine said to change oil shortly after buying a new car. Why? Because of the chunks of metal that wear/break off of the new parts as they seat. Then change it every 3,000 miles, more if you thrash the car. As far as I'm concerned good oil and frequent changes are WAY CHEAP insurance for your motor.

4. When the '03 fSVT had about 2000 miles, I drove it from Michigan to western Tennessee - a 700 mile trip. On the way there we drove through Ohio - home of the notorious Speed Nazis - so I had to watch the speed limit very carefully. On that leg of the trip, after driving like 2 hours, I was tapping the gas gauge because it hadn't moved. I got 37+ mpg on that leg of the trip, about 34, overall. And I ain't lying. Of course, most of the driving was steady-speed in the F-Way, your mileage may vary....

Enjoy your new Focus. I think they are the best value for the money and outhandle almost anything on the road.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Congrats and welcome aboard.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hey congrats on the new focus svt.

1- U wanna take it easy - i floored it when i had 700miles on the car and i broke something in the engine but the warranty covered it because i blamed it on the ford :-P lol. So take it easy till then.

2- 28mpg is not something u would get out of this car ( as previously stated by other users.

3- Ive heard that sound myself i asked the dealer about it said it was normal it was really loud at first but its gotten quiet.

4- The way i changed my oil was at 1,000miles i changed it and then changed it at 3,000miles. So every 3,000miles change the oil.

5- The max speed isn't listed but if u look in the manual it shows u wat speed u should be shifting at. when i was breaking mine in... i shifted on 3,000rpms. Don't redline just yet..give it some more time to break in.

And welcome enjoy ur car its a extremely fun to drive. i totalled my mercedes benz and this was the next car i got and im very happy with it. No where near the mercedes but hey im loving it. A car i can beat up on and have alot more fun with. enjoy urself!~! Btw im interested in the replica let me kno further details bout it.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 125
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 meinschaft Good Standing Member
My response to SVT4life's remark: "2- 28mpg is not something u would get out of this car ( as previously stated by other users."

Dear sir,

Your remark would seem to imply that I am either dishonest or incapable of accurately calculating my mileage. I log every gasoline purchase and stand by my figures. You may want to re-read what I said - that this mileage was achieved while on the expressway, mostly steady-state driving. I do agree that in daily driving, including around-town and stop-and-go, or if you have a lead-foot, you will not get that kind of mileage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.