2004 SVT Focus - Should I pass it up? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
2004 SVT Focus - Should I pass it up?

Hi guys, this is my first post. I joined to get some answers and help me decide on a car.

Well, I found a SVT Focus at my local dealer. It was a Black 2004 3-door European Package Focus. It was a pretty sharp car, and caught my eye when me and a group of people were checking out it and a '04 Mach 1 and '04 FX4 F-150 (also caught my eye).

I probably won't make a move on it for a while, to do some research (kinda why I came here), and to wait for the snow season to pass (don't feel like buying new rims and snow tires right away). I guess I'm looking for a reason WHY I should pass up on it.

Is it gonna give me lots of problems? I bought a 2001 S-10 ZR2 a few years ago and it was nothing BUT problems for me (GM lost me as a customer). Something was messed up in the front suspension (keep in mind I've never offroaded the truck). I traded it in on a 2000 F-150 Offroad Package that I've done some modifications to, and it's been problem free since I've bought it. Kinda why I'm considering a Ford again.

The reason why I'm considering the Focus is because my current situation doesn't need a truck. I'm gonna miss my truck, but I'd gladly take the cheaper payments and better MPG's (currently see 12.5 MPG's with the truck, but have no problem stopping at every gas station ). It's gonna be kinda hard to accept a little 4-cylinder, but at least it makes some power and will be quicker than my F-150!

I don't think I'll be able to take it for a test drive, but I'm wondering one other thing. I've driven stick before, I can drive it, just need more experience driving stick 'cause I stall out the first couple of times (what a great way to learn, by getting a manual transmission ). I guess learning how to ride a motorcycle will help a little. Anyways, is the clutch in the Focus gonna make my left leg bigger than my right? It seemed fine for me when I sat in it and tested it out, but you never know.

One more thing, are the HID's worth it? What color do they look like when lit up(white, purple, blue)?

Thanks in advance!

- Toolman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Hi, and welcome! As far as reliability goes, the Focuses have been pretty good since 2002-on and I'm pretty sure that applies to the SVT's as well. As to the car, black Euro package = , that's a hot Focus. I know the SVT does require premium fuel, so that might affect your decision. Most everyone that has the HIDs seem to love them, I believe they shine white. Good luck making your decision, I'm sure others will drop in and help you with some more experience than I have with this model.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How can you think about getting a truck over an SVTF? The HIDs shine white. The Euro package is rad. You'll be shifting all the time in the SVTF. I haven't noticed one leg bigger than the other.
Is the ZR2 an offroading vehicle?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Dude u need to go get the SVT before someone else does!! Plus trucks are gas gusslers and these cars are way better!! Anyway good luck and hope u make the right decision!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

I don't really need my truck right now, but I'm looking for a different job that's in construction. The job I'm looking at should pay the same, if not more, and I don't think I'll need a truck (not unless they want to pay for my gas). I'm seriously considering the Focus because it gets better mileage, what should I expect? , it's more practical for me, and there really isn't much I can do to the car (I can't lift the car like I would my truck). I'm not really planning on going big on this car, just intake, exhaust, and stereo (if the stock radio stinks). There might be a supercharger in the very distant future however (I'd love to beat my ex-bosses 99 Cobra), but we'll see then.

I think the one thing I'm gonna miss is having my KC Daylighters. I can see clearly for a good half mile down the road at night! Maybe I'll see if they fit in the fog location!

I wouldn't have a problem filling up with premium... I see 12.5 MPG's with my truck now and see around 15 in the summer. I have a computer tuner and used the premium setting until the snow fell. I've been known to spend $70 in gas in 24 hours a couple times in the summer taking long trips.

I'm not too worried about the Focus disappearing. The Ford dealer recently got the rights to sell SVT vehicles and has the Focus in back by the garage... you have to actually go inside the building to check it out.

The ZR2 is an offroading vehicle... sort of. It's kinda like a Z71 Silverado, but more offroad ready (comes with better, larger tires and larger wheel flares), though not as offroad ready as a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon .

Thanks again

- Toolman
Old 01-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2763
FF Reputation: 1 herbiefreak Good Standing Member
your lucky to even be thinking about getting one "because I wish" we also have had some problems with a chevy"LS s-10" truck the my boyfriend bought 1 year ago. THE TRANSMISION! I bought a 2003 zx3 and i love it and my boyfriend is going to sell his truck. Now would it be tacky to have two focuses??? You should really go for it the svt is the BEST looking little sports car out in the world of 4cl. You have GREAT tast!!!!!!!
PS. the dodge turbo neon is a pile of *****!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2763
FF Reputation: 1 herbiefreak Good Standing Member
i just remembered! for about the same price as a mach 1 mustang you could have an RS focus that is all wheel drive and turbocharged. its definately a very good match for the subaru WRX and i think it is even a better all around car. you will have to have it shipped over here, but im sure if you show interest at a dealership, they can work somethin for ya.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1793
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DilSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If I were you I would be worried about the car disapearing because the first time I went to look at a SVT Focus with my co-signer, and the damn thing disapeared the same day I was going to buy it. So, I had to look somewhere else and it took another month. They go like hot cakes and don't think someone won't buy it because it is inside that is what happened to me.
AEM CAI, FC 65mm TB, FS UDP, SCT by FS, Kent Cam Gear, MBRP, SD and Firewire, FC STS, All VF Mounts, CFM Silicone Couplers, Gear Balance Delete, NE ORP, EBC Green Stuff, FS Front - Rear Stress Bars, KW Springs
Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

I'm not worried... they JUST got the rights to be a SVT dealer, they are pretty small, and if it's sold... let them sell it. I'm sure I will be able to find one for sale... afterall there are left over 2003's on ebay! I know it could be sold between now and when I decide it's time, but the longer I wait, the more rebates it gets, and the more I can talk them down (or should at least).

I'm in a position where I may need my truck, so I'm only considering the Focus right now. I'll be reading around to find out if there are any problems with the 2004's... though it sounds like they fixed them. I know a local guy who told me to avoid the SVT and get a regular one (because of the problems), but I'm not sure when he was looking at getting a Focus either.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:31 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 411
What I Drive: '89 Volvo 744Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Zarelli6 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by herbiefreak
i just remembered! for about the same price as a mach 1 mustang you could have an RS focus that is all wheel drive and turbocharged. its definately a very good match for the subaru WRX and i think it is even a better all around car. you will have to have it shipped over here, but im sure if you show interest at a dealership, they can work somethin for ya.

uhh no. not for the same price as a mach 1. first off, they are no longer being made, and secondly, shipping would be horrendous. i bet you would lay out something near 50 thousand for an RS

the mach 1 is under 30 thousand. ALREADY cheaper than the RS not including shipping. here ya go http://www.mach1registry.com/FAQ.htm#how
otherwise everyone who wanted one could potentially get one if you have 30 thousand. and you would see them all over
and its also not awd.

Last edited by Zarelli6; 01-30-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.