Starting out of 1st... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Starting out of 1st...

Okay, I've already asked y'all about this, but, when racing, here's what I've been told: you run it up to 3 or 3.5k rpm's with the clutch in and then "feather" the clutch out as you go...

I understand what it's saying, like you gradually let the clutch out, waiting for the right launch or whatever, but maybe I'm wrong. What I wanna know is, does anyone have any more concrete tips for this?

I'm wondering because I raced an Integra GS-R tonite, and I think that I coulda taken him if my car didn't bog down off the line. I'd always jump ahead right away but then he'd gain cuz I was too busy sitting in the lower part of 1st gear. Or maybe it's just my SVTF. Thoughts??? Please???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well first of all do you have t/c? if u do u might have to pull that whole fuse out not just hit the button. After that u might wanna launch at around 4k and just drop the clutch and let it pull. Thats the best way i know of but i have a switch which is connected to the fuse box that turns it off - i also have a stage 3 clutch which helps in the launching process
Old 05-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Nah I don't have T/C. There goes that excuse!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
lol then just take that thing up to 4k and drop the clutch it will pull... also the car that u raced aren't very slow... the integra's are extremely easy to launch. and esp the gsr's are extremely rev happy
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
so reving to 4g's and dumping the clutch, getting the tires or tire to smoke will me me faster to the next light?
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by fritotec
so reving to 4g's and dumping the clutch, getting the tires or tire to smoke will me me faster to the next light?
well if your SVTF if s/c'd then i doubt you have any problems with the lack of low-end torque us stock SVT's have
Old 05-30-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
like i say turbo's are cool, but a supercharger will get you to the next light quicker.
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Probably, but if the light is farther away, can't turbos produce more power? After they spool up of course.

Also, I have another question: when racing, and shifting from 1 to 2, is it better to shift really fast and dump the clutch, resulting in some chirping, or is it just as effective to use a little more clutch/take a little more time for a fast yet smoother shift? Obviously the second method is easier on the car, but is the first method really any faster?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #9

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Yes. The faster you make the shift the faster you are free to accelerate through the next gear. At least that's my opinion and my experience so far as a driver... but it's not good for the longevity of the transmission obviously.

This is a frustrating car to launch, no doubt... RPM too low and the car doesn't spin but also doesn't really go anywhere in too much of a hurry; too fast and you just waste time burning the tread off one of your tires. I would say from my practice that you want to launch at higher revs than 3,500 but not much higher, like said, maybe around 4,000.

I used to have a Mk. I N/A MR2 and it was easy as hell to launch, you just floored it, let the tach swing around close to redline, and then popped the clutch - the car had such weak torque that was the only way to get enough power for a good launch, and there wasn't much tire spin because it was RWD and most of the car's weight was over the rear wheels already, and with the launch forces it just "planted" the rear tires to the pavement. Remember, in a car when you launch for a drag race, the car "lifts" and there is a weight transfer to the rear wheels, which is what you *don't* want in a FWD car, because the rear wheels aren't doing crap for you except holding up the back end of the car.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10350
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Distortedflames1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by fritotec
do you people not know much about traction? if you just drop the clutch and then yank the wheel...it will gain traction and pull quite hard. just practice in a parking lot and you will perfect it...and if all else fails pull the ebrake up and rev then let go of clutch and e brake like 2 miliseconds later and it will also launch good

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.