Should I buy an 03 SVTF 3dr. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23519
FF Reputation: 1 kz400 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Should I buy an 03 SVTF 3dr.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 SVTF 3dr. with 12,300 miles. I had a salesman quote me 13,600... I'm going to offer 13,600 out the door (tax, title, licence incl.)
The car has had one owner (an older gentleman) and is super clean... no scratches or dings on the outside and the interior looks brand new. Options include: power moon/sun roof, cruise, tilt, ABS (I think), 6 disc changer.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, I have some concerns about the "infamous" clutch TSB, as well as the overall reliability of this car. Have people had good luck getting the clutch fixed under warranty?

The clutch seemed fine when I drove it but I wasn't aware of the symptoms at that time. I will check for the "rattle" before I make an offer.

I don't know anyone who drives a focus let alone an SVTF so I'm also looking for general feedback from current owners.

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #2

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

My dealer has not been the easiest to deal with, but even they did the clutch TSB without giving me too much trouble (I did however end up having to make two trips before they actually did what they were supposed to do under the provisions of the TSB). Unfortunately a dealer probably will NOT perform the TSB unless you can provide some evidence that a symptom exists, so listen carefully for that rattle.

They should be able to pull up the car's service history, you can check and see what it has had done to it already. There is also a couple other "problem areas" - one being the cable that controls the dual stage intake manifold (DSI cable, or IMRC cable). The end of the cable is plastic, and the "tab" on the intake manifold that the cable connects to, is plastic. Either one of these can break, causing the DSI not to operate and usually a really unpleasant noise to happen as well. There is a revised metal part available for the end clip, I don't know if the intake manifold has been revised at all. Number two, the heat shield(s) on the catalytic converter are notorious for coming loose and rattling, or just falling off altogether. The rattle is usually noticeable at about 1,800 to 2,200 or so RPM. It's annoying but not really a serious problem, and Ford's solution is to either replace the shield over and over again, or place an enormous clamp (like a hose clamp) around the whole thing.

Also, the brakes don't seem to last too long, you might want to get an estimate on remaining brake life. My car is a 2002 with about 24,000 miles right now and I just had to have the front brake rotors replaced, which is pretty short life for rotors (the pads still had about half their material left).
Old 05-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

The dealer that has this car is actually a Dodge/GM/Toyota Dealer, would they still be able to get a service history for this car?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22486
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 xsbykerider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
what exactly is a svtf? I am new to the focus scene.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #5

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
SVTF = SVT Focus

Since the dealer is not a Ford dealer, I guess they probably could not get the service history... I don't really know, to tell you the truth. I bought mine used as well, it was about 8 months old at the time I bought it, from a GM brands dealer. They didn't know anything about the car, it was a trade-in from an employee who had just come to them from working at a Ford dealer.

I suppose you could try contacting a local Ford dealer and ask them if it's possible to look up the history on the car by providing them with the VIN or something like that?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 23040
What I Drive: 1997 White Mustang Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 97CasperCobra Good Standing Member
I have a carfax if you need it...just PM me the VIN number and your e-mail address and I'll forward it to ya.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11151
What I Drive: An Orange EAP

FF Reputation: 3 brawls43 Good Standing Member
Also being that you live in Marquette, you'll definitely want to save some money for winter tires.
SVT Squad #225
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sounds like my ride...I got my SVTF from a Chevy Used Car Lot in Baton Rouge, really nice people. I spent 10k on my Black '03 Coupe with 29,000miles. I immediately joined this site, and learned a CRAP-load of stuff about my car.

I found the absolute BEST dealer in Baton Rouge (Audubon Ford on South Airline) and they still do my business whenever I need them.

First, I snagged the YRFO flash for the quirky engine, it didn't fix all of the problems, but it still helped. And they were also the only dealer that knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the PCM Calibration...

They replaced my HU (head unit) twice because the Audiophile is notorious for breaking/malfunctioning. Not just repair, they put two brand-spanking new units in...

There were no questions asked when I brought it in for the Clutch TSB. I handed the TSB printout to my Rep, Mrs. Rita, and she went right to work. I had it back in two days with all new parts, sans the transaxle...

I had a CEL (check engine light) for a bad upstream O2 sensor, brought that in; as it turned out, one of the wires had worn and shorted out the sensor/fuse, everything taken care of...

So, if you find yourself a great dealer, you're gold! I love my SVTF! Sure it's got it's quirks, but I can't wait for that 'ole TUne to help take care of some of that. But the car is great, it's unique, nimble and quick. Decent MPG, fun, and did I say unique?

I've got 2,000 more miles left on warranty, and I intend to bring it in a few more times just to see if I can get a little more work out of my wonderful dealer!

Good luck to you, and go buy it! You'll love it!

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
I have a carfax if you need it...just PM me the VIN number and your e-mail address and I'll forward it to ya.
THX Casper... I have a carfax subscription as well, and everything checked out fine, no service history listed though.

Brawls, so these SVT's suck in the snow?... I pretty much figured it would but how bad is it?

Thanks for all the responses, I'm still undecided and unfourtantly the more research I do the more bummed I'm getting about the idea of owning a SVTF... It's such a fun little car to drive.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^ the svt's aren't the best cars in the snow but with the correct tires they can hold there own.. i mean light snow isn't a problem a couple of inches on the ground u might wanna be careful but anymore than that ur gonna have to be really cautious also wat sucks about these cars in the winter is that they take forever to warm up unless u get an autostart installed

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.