Tunes + OBD2 emissions tests - IMPORTANT! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21964
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF - CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 ajchen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tunes + OBD2 emissions tests - IMPORTANT!

hey guys.

so on tuesday i installed the hypnotic short ram and the hypnotic SCT xcalibrator tune. to do this, i disconnected the battery. i reconnected the battery, loaded the tune, and drove home. over the next few days i put about 150 miles in highway and local traffic.

friday, i went to get my car inspected as per ny state inspections. i didnt pass emissions because the tester plugged the obd2 thing in and it came back with a reading of "sensor not ready." now, i know that this gives off the signal if the battery was recently disconnected, but i was surprised since i already drove 150 miles. is it possible that i didnt drive the car enough for the obd2 computer to complete its drive cycle, or is it possible that the tune screws with this?

if anyone here has a tune AND has passed emissions not with a sniffer and rollers but with an obd2 tester plugged in, please let me know. i want to get this taken care of asap!

3sixteen clothing
3sixteen.com
::: progressive.urban.design :::
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I am thinking it is because of the 2nd o2 sensor being disabled. That would be my guess. It makes it easier for you to add an ORP is why most do it.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

if that was the case, wouldnt the obd2 test return a secondary o2 sensor error? it gave back a error that the computer didnt complete the drive cycle...

anyone else? i only have a few days before i have to pass inspections and wayne isnt returning my calls!

3sixteen clothing
3sixteen.com
Old 05-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Call Wayne
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Since you're kind of down to "crunch time",
why don't you just reflash back to the factory tune for the emissions testing?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yea, Sensor not ready could mean that the sensor IS NOT WORKING. Which is why i was guessing that secondary was off. The Tune should have NOTHING to do as far as throwing off the emissions testing. You still have a Cat, and the only thing the tune does is shut off the rear o2 sensor which would make it throw the code "sensor not ready" if thats what it actually threw, cuz that what i said in ur first post. If not just flash it back to stock for the emissions testing and see if u pass.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

i could use some input from people with more knowledge on emissions and OBD2. i know some of it because i had issues with my old integra passing emissions.

there is a difference between:

1) obd2 computer stating that it has not completed its drive cycle and is hence not ready to give a proper diagnostic reading, and
2) a sensor not working.

TRUST ME. if the o2 sensor was not working, it would say so. but the OBD2 computer cannot report back on that if it has not completed its drive cycle... after it completes its drive cycle, then it will state exactly what is wrong with the car. if it is the secondary o2 then it will say so... if it is something else, it will throw that code. the obd2 tester that the DMV and NYS emissions testers use is DIFFERENT from other home testers like the Predator because it checks to see if the drive cycle was completed. people used to try and fool emissions by disconnecting their battery and then taking it in because the OBD2 computer didnt have enough time to read and run diagnostics. nowadays, they can tell if you did that.

i dont want to just reflash to stock. i want to KNOW if the tune is causing this or if i have to drive the car around more and allow the car to complete a drive cycle. the trouble is that there's no real way to know if the OBD2 computer is now ready, and it costs money to test the car each time.... its a pass/fail and i dont want to keep spending money trying to test it if the tune will always result in a "obd2 computer not ready".

3sixteen clothing
3sixteen.com
Old 05-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
A LOT of cars will not pass the test due to not completing the drive cycle. When I worked at Ford, I had an 18 mile route planned out that would allow me to satisfy the cycle. Most people most places will NOT EVER get the car to pass it. IIRC the cycle requires steady above 50 mph for over a mile, then decelerate to 35 for a while, then idle, then accelerate, ect.....or something similar to that. I think the things must be done in the correct order too. My memory might be fuzzy on this but I do remember most of the cars I checked came up with the 'not completed' code.

If you could find out exactly what the 'cycle' requires to pass, you just might make it if you drive the car correctly to satisfy it. I'll do some searching and try to find out the particulars. I don't need emissions right now but it is coming and I'll be in the same boat as you with my SCT FS tune.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Try that out. Might help you pass. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

yup, i got those instructions... i plan to try it out (it looks dangerous! haha)... i'll let everyone know soon.

3sixteen clothing
3sixteen.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.