You all might want to check this out TRANNY/CLUTCH - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11654
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svt#1960 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation You all might want to check this out TRANNY/CLUTCH

I was heading home the night before last and I hurd a very strange noise. I was a hissing, squirting,clicking sound and It was smoking like crazy. So I pulled over, not completely off of the road so that I could crawl on the pavement to look under my car. There was a large puddle of oil under my car. The first thing that I thought of was holly crap it spun a bearing and threw a rod. I called AAA for towing back to the dealership. Today they called me and told me that they had the powertrain out of the car and it was the tranny. The clutch had come completely apart and had beat a hole in the tranny housing. They ordered a whole new tranny, clutch assy., flywheel, and starter. It will be the middle of next week before they get it done. They give me a loaner car to drive for the time being, which was a 2005 ford taurus, but o well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Did the OEM dual mass fly apart? Man, they are ticking time bombs....mine is out and I feel MUCH better!!
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
thats pretty pathetic for a car thats like 1 year old..are you ruff on it r somethin?
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 05-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16430
What I Drive: 2004 Cd Silver SVT focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 QuickSilverSVT Good Standing Member
must have been that shorty antenna that did it.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
Its these BS clutches they put in these cars. I have noticed my pedal is feeling mushy and is catching at different points which is indicitive of the slave cylinder. Every manual transmissinon car and truck I have had from Ford has had this problem.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4767
What I Drive: 07 F one-fiddy

FF Reputation: 8 Poney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Ive been driving my 5 speed for a couple years, and i drive it hard. So far, no problams with the clutch. And I noticed that have a few mods on your car, did the dealership give you any crap about voiding the warrenty ??

Old 05-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by fokuzx3
thats pretty pathetic for a car thats like 1 year old..are you ruff on it r somethin?
There has been trouble with the clutches in the SVT's since 2002, Ford knows about this and thats why there is a TSB for it. The stock clutch is too small for the power rangeof the SVT..... it would problely work good in a ZX3
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 05-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6789
FF Reputation: 1 coolsvt Good Standing Member
The problem is not in the clutch, its that 24.5lbs flywheel that is causing all kinds of problems in this car.Why there is no real engine brake in this car,why the engine is not rev happy(takes time to build rpm),why you have to ride the clutch to move the car(its takes about 1500 to 2000 rpm for a clean take off).I will answer you why NVH period.BMW M division and some trucks use dual mass flywheels to kill some of the drivetrain noise and to lower the frequency from the power pulsation from the engine,but these engines are big(six cylinders and up) not starving for power like a four cylinder engine.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17177
What I Drive: 2000 Sonic Blue ZX3, 1993 Civic B16A swap

FF Reputation: 1 dispense05 Good Standing Member
i got lucky, the last kid who owned my car put a brand new sport clutch in it. glad i havent run into many problems yet. only one is the freakin hatch opens sometimes, and Ford wont fix it, so im going to complain to the actual company instead of the local Ford Dealer/shop.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #10

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
The original poster has yet to clarify if it was actually the flywheel that shattered, it could have been the clutch, too. I know I've heard of this before, but can't remember which part shattered - I do remember the pictures, which showed a neat hole in the side of the transaxle.

svt#1960, I don't know how fast you were going at the time, but you're lucky a piece of that didn't rip through the firewall and into your leg (or worse!).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.