burning oil - literally, smoke from the dipstick? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 22879
FF Reputation: 1 stew32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question burning oil - literally, smoke from the dipstick?

I changed the oil in my wife's '03 SVT (bought used in Nov '04, this is the first oil change since we purchased it). I put in 5w-30 Mobil 1 because it's got about 12,000 miles and the manual says synth is fine after 4k-6k. I drove around a bit and noticed a strong oil burning smell. I couldn't see any leaks from the engine and not a drop on the pavement. I know I spilled a little oil on the exhaust when changing the filter. I pull the dipstick to check the oil level and smoke comes out!

I know I put in slightly more oil than came out- put in 4.5 quarts and only 4 drained. Which would make it barely overfilled with the filter change. I couldn't get a reading on the dipstick since the oil's clean and pretty thin. I'll check tomorrow when it's cooled off.

Oil temp and pressure gauges are reading the same as before the change. No smoke from the fill on the valve cover.

Is this normal? If not, any ideas why it's burning?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
it's pretty normal. our oil runs a bit hotter than other cars due to the oil squirters that spray oil on the bottom of the pistons for cooling. it's nothing to worry about. oil generates a lot of smoke, but you hardly burn anything off at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Seriously? The only other time I've ever seen smoke come out of an oil dipstick or the valve cover filler is on an old Jeep- right before the engine siezed because it lost oil pressure!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13158
What I Drive: blue Chevy Truck,Jeep Rubicon

Points 1,169, Level 18
Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mountandriver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Check the hose that comes off of the head top drivers side towards the back somtimes they can come loose from whare they attach at the air filter box. Also somtimes when the smal foam filter in the bottom of the air filter box gets clogged it makes it more likely. It's one of those little things that is good to check when changing oil , but easy to look over.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Thanks. I know the vent hose is connected, but I'll check the foam to make sure it's not clogged. Obviously, the disconnected hose would cause an oil smell. But would clogged foam cause the smoke from the dipstick tube?

The first problem we had with the car was because the previous owner had installed an aftermarket intake and did a sloppy job of swapping back in the OEM airbox. That vent hose kept coming off because the guy had used the wrong fitting. We finally took it to the Ford dealer a couple months ago and had them return it to stock. Hasn't been a problem since.

My wife now says that she thinks the oil smell has been happening for at least a couple weeks. Maybe she's only noticing because of the warmer weather. I can deal with the oil smell, just didn't like the smoke. I guess I'll keep looking...
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
well to tell you, the smoke coming outta the dip stick hole is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, if you've run your car for 10+ mins and check the dip stick hole, there will be definitly smoke coming out, it'll continue happening even if you decide to change to syntheic oils cause it happens to me still.
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

Points 1,557, Level 22
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a feeling its probably because of how close the dipstick is to the header. I've had other cars with headers but the dipstick had a little more breathing room in those cars.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
smoke comes out of my distick, too....everytime I check my oil. No biggie.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the replies! I guess this is normal for the SVT Focus. I don't think I've ever checked the oil immediately after it's been run so it's probably been happening all along.

I checked the oil level this morning and it's barely above the full notch, so it should be fine. My wife drove around town a bit today and still seeing some smoke from the tube- maybe about half as much as yesterday. Also didn't notice a really strong oil smell. Then again, my wife drives more conservatively (at least when I'm in the car!) so that probably has something to do with it.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 386
What I Drive: 04SVTF, 03SVTF,08F150 4x4, 2013ST3

Points 1,316, Level 20
Points: 1,316, Level: 20 Points: 1,316, Level: 20 Points: 1,316, Level: 20
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 finalley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yep.... you broke it...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.