40mpg!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
40mpg!!

So I went to fill up today, i had only used a 1/4 tank but i had driven 137 miles. Now this caught my attention cause i usually only get about 100-110 milles on the first 1/4 tank, so i was curious and filled err up. It stopped at alittle over 3.4 gallons so figuring that up, so dividing 137 by 3.4 ends up being 40.something something... I was quite surprised, by far the best mpg i have gotten in my car. It was almost a mix of highway and city to, i have been babying my car around town here lately and it appears to have paid off. I know had I driven the whole tank out, my mpg probably would have gone down but i am still surprised I got that good of milage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5809
What I Drive: 04 SVT 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Iceboy9191 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ehhh i dont really think you can judge on a quarter of a tank, i guess you can if you go like from the time of your gas light and what not...but i just dont think that is accurate haha
Old 05-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I did about 1/2 to 3/4 full tank...dont recall my mileage (203 maybe), but I got 29.9 on Waynes tune...highway, 3500ish in 6th gear with a couple 4th gear downshifts running out 5th gear then cruising along in th again around 75-80mph. No too shabby!!
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yeah you should fill up fully and check it out.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I never let it go below a 1/4 tank, ive always been paranoid i will run out of gas even tho i know i wont. And also i heard its really hard on the fuel pump to let it run that low. But I usually fill up when i have anout a 1/4 tank left and i have been averaging about 28-31 mpg almost all highway, cruise set a 70 in 6th, w/ alittle in town driving. Yea i know its not that accurate, but 137miles on 3.4 gallons is still really good. I have also been doing alot of coasting around so i know that has helped it.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 05-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SVT_BMXer, you can let it go below 1/4 tank without too many worries, I was almost on empty and put in 10.1 gallons (our tanks hold 13 gal/50 litres.) the pump you were using may have been unusually picky, some click off when the tanks is 3/4 full while others puke fuel out the side of the vehicle.

Now back to not letting the fuel get too low, my brother in law is a mechanic and he says that the overwhelming fuel pump failures happen almost immediately after the owner fills the tank on a hot day. His theory is: "it's a hot day and the fuel in the tank is hot, the owner hates filling the tank so he lets the fuel drop really low, then he fills up and the gas, being below ground, is around 50 degrees F. This cold gas hits the hot fuel pump, something lets go and boom, he's got to drain a completly full tank to replace a fuel pump."
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18768
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT 2 door

FF Reputation: 1 SVTkonig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT_BMXer
I never let it go below a 1/4 tank, ive always been paranoid i will run out of gas even tho i know i wont. And also i heard its really hard on the fuel pump to let it run that low. But I usually fill up when i have anout a 1/4 tank left and i have been averaging about 28-31 mpg almost all highway, cruise set a 70 in 6th, w/ alittle in town driving. Yea i know its not that accurate, but 137miles on 3.4 gallons is still really good. I have also been doing alot of coasting around so i know that has helped it.
It's not hard on a fuel pump to let it run low. as long as it isn't sucking air. actually even if it does it shouldn't hurt it. i used to work for my dad at his gas station/towing company and i used to syphon gas out of the wrecked cars by using a fuel pump, a car battery, some wire, and a hose. every once in a while i'd stop paying attention and the pump would suck air but it never hurt it. when i put gas in my svt i let it get way down there because i'm broke. I normally only put 10 bucks in at a time but i wanted to check my milleage on this tank so i filled it. 12.6 gallons for about 35 bucks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.