Chopped off lunchbox resonator - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
oldFart

Fan#: 18578
What I Drive: nothing

FF Reputation: 3 svt_gEEk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Chopped off lunchbox resonator

I went and got my lunchbox resonator chopped off yesterday and had the shop weld pipe in its place with the stock tip back on. I was surprised they actually were able to re-use the tip, they had to cut it off really really close to the resonator. I can't really tell much of a difference in the sound in the high rpm range but there is a definate difference in the 2k-3k rpm range. Sounds deeper and a little louder. I think somebody said this before, but it has an almost exotic sports car sound. I'll see if I can get some sound clips recorded of it. I really like it and it only cost me $22. I love small town exhaust shops I would like for the exhaust to be a little bit louder and maybe deeper, especially in the upper rpm range. The car has a really nice tone in the lower rpm range, but when it gets past 3k it seems like it gets quieter and loses the deep tone, maybe it's just because I'm in the car and I can't hear what it actually sounds like. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 18627
What I Drive: 2004 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 stealthsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I sawzilled mine off and had a shop weld on a piece. The guy at the shop sat there and argued that the car didnt have two mufflers and a resonating tube, he looked like a real ass when the car went up on the lift, mabye thats why they charged me to much. Cut that honkin resonating tube off, and that will give you the sound you are looking for.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

Points 11,449, Level 70
Points: 11,449, Level: 70 Points: 11,449, Level: 70 Points: 11,449, Level: 70
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
dont go the cheap way man...put a real exhaust...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
oldFart

Why pay $300 for a catback exhaust when the svt already has mandrel bent tubing. I just want a better sound......you're not gonna gain much by putting a full catback on the svt.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
^^Tis true, its been said many times before. If you want to change the sound then simply purchase a new muffler of your choice. That, coupled with the hacked lunchbox, practicaly gives you a custom exhaust with the sound your looking for.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 04-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
oldFart

What muffler would you suggest for a deep sound...I also don't want the popping sound you get when you let off the gas.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 18627
What I Drive: 2004 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 stealthsvt Good Standing Member
i would go ask your muffler shop. They have high flow mufflers for compact. I put a high flow muffler on my old wrangler, i told them I wanted a mellow tone, and not gaudy sounding. As far as being a cheap ass, uhhh....why would I spend 450 on a catback system when it will be the same. the exhaust that comes on the svt is the same size and stainless. I think I will do it this way and put the money I save into somthing that might make a difference. I dont know if you tried this but, I would try calling borla or magnaflow direct. See what type of muffler they use on their catback, get that, and a person who can weld good and your good to go. Just do the world a favor and please dont put a fart can on.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
oldFart

Oh hell naw, I aint puttin on a fart can........that's all the world needs, another fart can on an 4-banger.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by stealthsvt
i would go ask your muffler shop. They have high flow mufflers for compact. I put a high flow muffler on my old wrangler, i told them I wanted a mellow tone, and not gaudy sounding. As far as being a cheap ass, uhhh....why would I spend 450 on a catback system when it will be the same. the exhaust that comes on the svt is the same size and stainless. I think I will do it this way and put the money I save into somthing that might make a difference. I dont know if you tried this but, I would try calling borla or magnaflow direct. See what type of muffler they use on their catback, get that, and a person who can weld good and your good to go. Just do the world a favor and please dont put a fart can on.
That is likely what I will do myself! I had a custom exhaust system in my Trans Am and my Grand Prix GTP and loved them, so that's what I will do with my SVTF. Speaking of fart cans, I saw a Mazda 3 hatch-back with a big 'ol fart can this morning driving like an idiot in heavy traffic, it sounded like crap!!
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.