please help with an oil question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16942
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT Focus & 1994 SVT Mustang Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 Noble Steed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
please help with an oil question

I have a 2002 SVT focus and want to put a synthetic oil in it. I did a search and found alot of stuff on what oil and what weight to use but they were all a bunch of arguments and everyone had a different openion on what to use and what weight should go in there. It was sort of an old thread so I decided to ask again, maybe everyone has a different openion on this subject now. Just let me know if this is right: Royal Purple or Mobil 1 with a weight of 5w20, and do i need to run a cheep oil in there for a few min to clean out all the old crap before I switch over to synthetic? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Tim-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Use 5w30 weight in your SVT (this is right). I use 5w30 Royal Purple. As long as you switch after 6k miles (i think), you'll be fine. Just do it like a regular oil change...not sure what you mean by running a cheap oil through for a few minutes. I have never heard of this.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13515
What I Drive: 04 EAP OJ mobile

FF Reputation: 1 Geisto Good Standing Member
If you are really anal about it you can add in fresh conventional oil, turn the engine over a few times, and drain it again....overkill in my opinion. I would just drain the old oil, add 4.5qts Mobil-1 5w30, slap on a new Motorcraft FL2005 filter, and enjoy.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Use the recommended Motorcraft oil. Spending more money on a synthtic is a waste of time and money. Ford beats the crap out of their engines in their development testing, and they use the Motorcraft oil to do it. If you engien fails, it will be due to a manufacturing defect that no motor oil could have protected against.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
The above is a opinion not a fact. The only fact here is synthetics do last longer and do protect better. They also will improve your hp and mpg. Royal Purple (and redline) have been dyno proven to add 3 to 4 hp. What more could you ask for?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
synthetics do last longer, but if ford thought they would reduce warranty work they would use it.
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 03-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18259
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 scotto46 Good Standing Member
That's because they make your engine last past the warranty.
Synthetics will help your engine reach 150k, not 75k.
:/
Old 03-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

My opinion is fact, because I work for the company in the engine division. Look, if we thought that synthetics would really get your engine to last longer, especially at the price you pay for synthetics, the company would recommend a synthetic blend. There is absolutely no need for synthetics in a daily driver. Like I said, Ford beats the crap out of engine, over a 150,000 mile cycle that is way worse than a daily driver would do, and the engine survives just fine. We care about way more than just getting the engine to go beyond our 3/36 warranty.

Save your money and spend it on something else... you're just putting it in someone else's pocket for little to no benefit.

BTW, where is that 3-4 hp coming at? Top end? If so, you beating the crap out of your motor while using synthetic is far worse than normal driving with the recommended semi-synthetic.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
What ever. My only point is synthetics last longer and protect better, enough said.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

And my point is that they may last longer, but the incremental gain you are getting, compared to the exorbitant price some people are paying (Mobil 1, etc) is not worth it. Some people are paying twice the price for the synthetics, and they are getting far less of a gain in protection.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.