put more compression??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
yog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18658
FF Reputation: 1 yog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
put more compression???

can i put more compression on svt engine ?
safe or not ?

let me not what you think ?
thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
yog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18658
FF Reputation: 1 yog Good Standing Member
and i go to ford dealer i just got 72 000 km on my car and im ready spend some $$$ on the car but just to be shure i ask to dealer if i can pass compression test ,the dealer look very funy and try to make me change my mind but say to him i ready go super charge and i just check if engine keep up the same compression from the fist day. so get ready for test but ask to mecanical what number i shude expect tell me i don 't no ford give any record or suply nothing to dealer about that so what is comp of regular focus ? 150 and 160 so i tell im this come whit more comp so i expect high number but 120 on 4 cyl so i start to fell kind of funy even the mecanical start to search for answer to no if it normal but can't verify ,so on my demand bring the last new svt focus and take the comp on this one,115 brand new .
really start to turn red from boiling from the inside after 1 result i start to come down after testing the other svt so try to figure out why? answer me can come from head the way it is .
if realy come from head can i just put more compression just playing inside the head?
some can realy answer me what realy going on inside this engine?

thank!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5962
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 blee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Compression can be increased, but you're talking about a different kind of compression in your post. The compression test is done to check the (hopefully lack of) leakage from the cylinder. Basically, think about blowing air into a coffee can and seeing the max pressure in psi that it will take before enough air leaks out of the can to counteract the air coming in.

The actual psi values of a compression test are not all that important, unless they're really way too low or too high. Two cars of the same model may have the same compression, and the same car might have different compression numbers from day to day or from test to test. It's far more important to determine the variability of the numbers between cylinders. A couple of percent difference between cylinders is generally okay.

As for "raising compression," that refers to the physical difference in combustion chamber volume when the piston is at the bottom of its travel and when it's at the top. Ratios like "10.5:1" are what describe this value, which do give some indication as to the power available from the engine. You can do things like get a crankshaft with a longer stroke, get different pistons, shave the head a bit or use a thinner gasket, etc., to increase compression. Unless you really know what you're doing, though, I wouldn't recommend going down this route.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19232
What I Drive: 2005 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3S

FF Reputation: 1 EdwardK Good Standing Member
What Blee said PLUS most people going down the supercharger/turbo route are looking to reduce the compression ratio of the engine.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by EdwardK
What Blee said PLUS most people going down the supercharger/turbo route are looking to reduce the compression ratio of the engine.
Good point. Stuffing a dense charge into a cylinder with high compression can lead to a lot of fun...for your mechanic, anyway.

Most factory forced-induction setups start with a lower compression version of the base engine. This is definitely the case for the venerable 3800 series from GM, and I've seen a similar philosophy behind the SRT-4 engine (IIRC). People who intend to turbo- or supercharge peaky engines like the F20C (pre-'04 S2000) will often start by looking for a slightly thicker head gasket in order to reduce compression. The actual amount to reduce depends on the engine and what you're trying to do with it. Likewise, the amount of compression increase on any engine depends very much on the engine and how you plan to drive it. Don't forget, either, that sometimes the costs involved are totally not worth it.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by blee
Good point. Stuffing a dense charge into a cylinder with high compression can lead to a lot of fun...for your mechanic, anyway.
Tell me about it. I run 8.2:1 on my Procharged 347 in my Stang and STILL have to do a head gasket every now and again

The fun that is my garage
Old 03-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by EdwardK
Tell me about it. I run 8.2:1 on my Procharged 347 in my Stang and STILL have to do a head gasket every now and again

The fun that is my garage
Yeah, but you get to drive a supercharged Mustang in between gasket jobs. :P And if you think about it, a blown gasket is probably the best "bad thing" that could happen.

I see the inside of your block's been painted. Did you do the assembly work yourself? I miss tearing into engines...
Old 03-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

True and true. I did everything but the machine work. A list for your pleasure...

SBF Dart Iron Eagle Block - 8.2 deck bored .030 over totaling 347cid
ATI ProCharger D-1SC Making 20lbs. of Boost
ATI 3 core Intercooler
AFR 185 Heads (2.02"/1.60") ported by BB&T Racing
FRPP 1.6 Roller Rockers
Comp Custom Grind Camshaft
Comp Valve Springs
Edelbrock Performer RPM Upper& Lower Intake
JE 4.030 Billit Dished Pistons (8.2:1 CR)
Probe Forged 5.400" H-Beam Rods
Scat 4340 Forged 3.400" Stroke Crankshaft
AFM PMS Computer w/ low imp. driver
NOS PowerFogger (125 shot)
Steeda/Tremec 3550
Ram 900 series Clutch
Pro.M 75mm MAF
96lb/hr MSD Competition Fuel Injectors
BB&T Racing/Aeromotive Eliminator Fuel System (will support 1,600HP flows over 950 Gal/hr)
Crane Fireball HI-6 Ignition
Crane PS-92 Coil
MSD Distribuitor
Ford Racing Shorty Headers
Bassini Offroad X-pipe
Dynomax UltraFlo Exhaust
Steeda Ultra-Cool Aluminum Radiator
FRPP A/C Eliminator
Steeda Smog Pump Eliminator
ARP Studs & Bolts
Old 03-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

(I guess we're getting off-topic here. This'll be my last non-compression related post.)

Nice. Last year I rebuilt the engine in my '88 M3 because of a spun rod bearing. Kept most of the original parts, except for the usual wear items (rings/bearings/pumps/chains/etc.) and a replacement crank. I got a great shop to do the honing and some cleaning, but I did the rest at home. Was the most fun I've ever had in the garage. Starting it up for the first time was just awesome. Of course, then I had to go and sell it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.