yet another exhaust post... Anybody else against the two stroke rice sound? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yet another exhaust post... Anybody else against the two stroke rice sound?

Alright, i have always loved v8's and good deep exhaust. (last vehicle was a 96 ram with duals, and man i loved the sound of it, but couldnt stand the 9 mpg!)

anyway...the biggest thing i hate, is rice bumble bee / weed whacker two stroke sounding 4 cylinders! The stock svt exhaust is ok...but isnt very loud. I do NOT want a loud exhaust, but i want somthing DEEP that rumbles and I can hear it.
I heard an srt-4 the other day that nearly sounded like a v8, it wasnt LOUD, but enough so you can hear it!, & had a very deep rumble.

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading exhaust posts, but nobody seems to focus on the sound pitch, just loud or quiet. (pun intended...yes i know im hillarious )

I really dont want to go with a cat-back, i want it to be as simple as possible (mostly so if i dont like the sound, i can easily change it back) I read about taking the resonator and the muffler behind the suspension off, and replacing the muffler. (or just taking the resonator off and putting new piping/tip on) I would like to consider this, but dont know if this nets a "buzz" or a "rumble" ? I found a couple of sound clips, but most were more "weed whacker on steroids" than they were deep and rumbling.

Does anybody happen to have a stash of sound clips with different exhausts? Im mostly interested in the resonator-off and then also resonator and muffler behind susp off, with different mufflers.

Sorry for taking up space with another exhaust thread, but I really dont want to waste time/money trying to find a really deep throaty exhaust if its not possible!

Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #2

Fan#: 17435
FF Reputation: 1 ChrisL911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i have borla and my car sounds awsome, its an SVTF and everyone says it sounds awsome, and of course i love those v8s and hate those ricers but I love the sound of my car
Old 03-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
Hack off the lunchbox muffler in the rear and leave the rest stock. I did this the other day and it yielded a good sound. Its a throaty mellow sound that sounds nothing like a fart can. Its difficult to get a deep rumble out of a 4 banger but this mod comes pretty close.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3955
FF Reputation: 1 denzillion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Your solution is simple - BORLA!!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
Focus Addict

so looks like we have two in favor of hacking off res/rear muffler and installing a borla, and one in favor of hacking off rear res/muffler and just running a pipe/tip off of that?

is it pretty loud with just a new pipe/tip with the res/muffler out? id assume having a muffler on (basically any muffler borla/magnaflow etc) will be quieter than just running a straight out?

I suppose I could just go to a midas or one of the local shops, have them cut off the resonator only first (leaving the "lunchbox muffler" in tact, seeing how that sounds, if its no where near what i want, i could then hack the lunchbox muffler off, then test different mufflers out (or just see if i like it with no res/muffler, but i think that might be too loud for my taste)

Wish some of you guys lived closer to me, so i could hear your stuff in person! the only person ive seen in my town with an svtf has the exact same thing as me, but definatly bone stock. (dosnt seem like hes into modding either)

Once i cut the resonator/muffler off am i basically stuck? I know OEM muffler parts would cost a fortune, but I definatly dont want to get stuck with no options (say i cut both res/muffler off and cant find a muffler i like)

Sorry for the long post, but as you can probably tell, im pretty anal about exhaust note!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
The car comes with 3 different 'sound suppression' devices. There is the resonator, followed by a standard muffler which is followed by the 'lunchbox' muffler. Try cutting the 'luchbox' off and listen to that, Im sure youll be happy. If not, you can simply splice in a muffler of your choice where the stock muffler is.

How far is Dekalb from Belleville? Were both is the same state at least.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Focus Addict

according to mapquest about 5 hours...lol looks like your right next to st.louis, and im only 50 minutes from chicago.

I think im gonna hunt around for a picture on the net, so once its up on the lift at a muffler shop I will know exactly what im looking at.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15709
What I Drive: 2004 SB SVTF 2003 DSG Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus2k4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
I got an ORP and it sounded a little ricey but after a new flash it sounds BAD! Nice deep tone for a 2.0. If I do go with an exhaust I think Borla will be the ticket.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Focus Addict

well i know everyone one saying waynes flash makes the exhaust note get deeper...and i think im having issues with my flash, because i havnt noticed a power increase (if there is one, its more like 2-3 ft/lbs not 20+ lol) the stuttering went away for awhile, but sometimes i still have it @ about 2k, and the "new" stuttering almost seems worse than the old one (this one is more violent than the stock one) so the only things i have noticed which seem normal are the lowered idle, and the ability to take tc off.
I have emailed wayne but its been nearly a week since ive gotten a response about my problems :(

maybe if my tune worked properly i would be satisfied with the new lower exhaust note, but since mine didnt really change at all, kind of hard for me to decide
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8854
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT

Points 1,527, Level 22
Points: 1,527, Level: 22 Points: 1,527, Level: 22 Points: 1,527, Level: 22
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 DaZeDFoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
http://www.webtrendsguy.com/video/Fo...ankenfocus.wmv

go here and listen to this exhaust. it is a hollowed out flowmaster muffler, in which fastfocus2006 has on his car. talk to him if you like this kind of sound.

from personal point of view, i have a flowmaster, and i think it sounds better than magnaflow or borla, although it may not give as good HP increases. oh well!

-Brian

Remember these 3 words: cheap, reliable, fast.
You can have 2 of them, but the third will not apply.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.