more power - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19873
What I Drive: 04 screaming yellow SVTF Euro

FF Reputation: 1 taijirich Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
more power

I want more power efficiently. I have had my focus for a little over two months. I am very happy with it stock, though I think it is time I get a little more power.

Today I had a little problem with a civic si, he was able to keep up with me(almost). I am specifically looking for more torque in the midrange and some more i the high end in sixth gear. (I topped out at 120 going up a slight grade.)

I want to do this the right way and am establishing the budget. I would like to hit around 260 hp. I am thinking...a turbo, with a cai and a predator with toms tune all to be done at once.

Anybody have experience with a similar upgrade. Would this get the performance I am looking for? How much?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
a cai would be unnecessary with a turbo because the turbo system has its own induction setup. you may want to think about a larger throttle body, ported intake manifold, full exhaust (off road pipe and catback, 3 inch if possible), and don't forget to upgrade your clutch and flywheel while you're at it. and since you'll have the trans out, put in a quaife differential to help put that power to the pavement. the price will add up to be a quite a bit more than you were thinking of spending, but if you don't want to have to rebuild your motor later, do it right the first time. tom is definitely the guy to talk to about turbos, and he can definitely put you at 260 hp. shoot him a PM and talk to him about it, he'll be able to give you more specs than I can
Old 03-06-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19416
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 RS3RS Good Standing Member
In the mean time, I'd definitely consider a flash, probably the #1 best thing you can do for an SVTF
Old 03-06-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I was hoping to do it all at once, though now looking at the answer, I guess it isn't going to be as easy o the wallet as I was hoping
Old 03-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
you said u topped out in sixth gear, in our cars the top speed is actually in fifth gear, so when your racing no point in going into sixth gear its just for gas mileage basically.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

see, that is good to know. Actually topped out when I was just seeing how fast I could go on a straightaway. No race involved. I thought the getrag was a true six speed though and that 6th should get top speed after proper shifting. BTW I was in sixth the whole time, accelerated from 75 up.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
I hit 110 in 4th gear at 6700 ... your top speed is in 5th, like dude said ... and the Gtrag is a normal 6 gear, top speeds are normally attained in 5th.
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

not being a mechanic or a racer and my knowledge coming from a college physics course, that doesn't make sense. If sixth is a higher gear ratio and the power is available, sixth would provide you with the top speed. Anybody with information contrary to this, please post.

BTW, earlier in the day, I also hit 110 in 4th while playing with the honda si. The whole point of this thread was to get more power.

Given my answer earlier, looks like I want the predator with toms flash. What kind of increases have people gotten?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18326
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fat pat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if you have the power, then yes, you could make your top speed in 6th. our cars dont have the power stock to keep it really going in 6th. the 6th gear ratio is too tall for our aerodynamics and power to really keep it going
Old 03-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
Here is another example of a high performance 6-speed car that tops out in 5th --- The Dodge Viper ... plenty of high end power but 6th is designed for cruising not racing.

Rear Gear Ratio Top Speed (Stock motor) Transmission and RPMS
3.07 (stock) 185 MPH 5th Gear, 5400 RPM
3.31 185 to 190 MPH 5th Gear, near redline
3.54 177 MPH 5th Gear, 6000 RPM
3.73 168 MPH 5th Gear, 6000 RPM
4.10 153 MPH 5th Gear, 6000 RPM
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.