Any reason not to use a PCV breather element? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18855
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Mork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any reason not to use a PCV breather element?

I just put on the RF-1025 K&N universal filter directly attached to the MAF and it is a little long to fit in the stock airbox bottom. With it sitting on top of the corner of the airbox bottom, it rubs the hoodliner just slightly. That leaves me with a couple of options.

1. Remove lower airbox, leaving the SVT snorkle, and use a breather on the PCV tube.
2. Remove hood liner and see if there is enough clearance.
3. Chop up the stock lower airbox to fit the new filter and retain the stock PCV filter.
4. Take the filter back and get a different one.

I like the filter, it is HUGE so I would like to make it work. There was a SOTP difference when I took it for a spin last night so I think it is doing something for me.

I really don't want to chop up the OEM airbox for re-sale reasons as well as dealer visits so that would be my last resort.

The breather element is my best option at this point but I don't know if there would be any problems using one. It seems that it would be the same as using the foam piece in the airbox to me but I know you guys/gals have more experience with that than me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18326
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fat pat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
not really a reason not too, but it will get clogged up with, and spit some oil from your crank case
Old 03-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

The one in the airbox right now does that too though...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10165
What I Drive: SVT IR, 03

FF Reputation: 1 Rych Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When you use a breather you do not get the vaccuum you would if your PCV tube was hooked into the intake. Does this make a real difference? Not sure. Your crank will still vent with a breather, but maybe not as well. There are some who believe that you need to suck the vapors from the crankcase with a stronger delta P than atmospheric.

98 3.8L Mustang Auto
heads,cam,nitrous
13.20 @ 102MPH (stock suspension, street radials)
1.9 60'
Old 03-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

I hear what you are saying, Rych but isn't the pressure in the airbox atmospheric as well once the top of it is removed? There is no vaccum or pressurization inherent in the airbox at that point, right? I know plenty of Mustang guys who bypass the PCV system all together and say it is not even necessary and just pulls oil into your intake manifold. I won't go that far, I don't know enough about what the PCV actually does and how it works but I thought it was just there to alleviate pressure in the manifold, meaning it actually would push stuff out instead of sucking anything in. More info is welcome!! I am an engineer so it is all in the details for me, unfortunately...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
HTPerformance

Fan#:
I am new to the Focus Community, but my experience is in Nissans.

Most of the Valve cover breather tubes are routed directly to the intake pipe, rather than the intake air box.
It would seem that the intake air box would be lower pressure, and perhaps the Ford engineers thought int somewhat unnecessary to have a larger vacuum?

But you are right, if you remove the top of the box for the short ram element, then you the Valve cover breather is at atmosphere.

If you are worried about it you could route the pipe to the intake charge, but perhaps the vacuum is too large?

Just a few things to consider.

I'd either cover up the valve cover or put the breather element on it.

Brian

Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Mork
I hear what you are saying, Rych but isn't the pressure in the airbox atmospheric as well once the top of it is removed? There is no vaccum or pressurization inherent in the airbox at that point, right? I know plenty of Mustang guys who bypass the PCV system all together
Yes. If you remove the top then you eliminate the vaccuum seen by the PCV hose. However, with the stock intake intact, the engine pulls vaccuum to assist in venting the crankcase.

As a matter of fact, I run breathers on my mustang too. I've never had problems. I would compare this discussion to those who say that an underdrive crank pulley causes damage to rod bearings. Do you see what I am saying?

During the compression and combustion cycles of an engine some blowby gases make their way passed the pistion rings and down into the crankcase. These gases need vented. Most cars vent out of the valve covers as it is open to the crankcase, however some cars.. 5.0 stangs for example have a pcv tube that vents directly from the crankcase.

The PCV system was origingally developed for emissions reasons.

98 3.8L Mustang Auto
heads,cam,nitrous
1.9 60'
Old 03-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

So it sounds like there is nothing wrong with running a breather on the end of the PCV tube. Other than there may be a slight bit of oil/gas vapor that comes out of it due to blowby, which should be caught by the foam in the breather. Is that correct?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Mork
So it sounds like there is nothing wrong with running a breather on the end of the PCV tube. Other than there may be a slight bit of oil/gas vapor that comes out of it due to blowby, which should be caught by the foam in the breather. Is that correct?
You will definately get gas vapors/oil coming out of the breathers. Also, something I forgot to add before is you increase the chance of getting excess moisture in the oil. I know of people in the mustang community that have run into this problem.

Just try it out, you should be fine. If not, switch back.

98 3.8L Mustang Auto
heads,cam,nitrous
1.9 60'

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.