differences in tunes? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2944
What I Drive: 2004 pitch black svt 3 dr #998 of #

FF Reputation: 1 greggmeister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
differences in tunes?

I have read and searched a lot of posts about tunes. It seems to me that there all pretty much the same: it disables the T/C boosts H/P, torque, stops the bogging, surging etc etc. My question is are there really any differences in these tunes other then the flashers? I see that one of the tunes comes with a real nice flasher that will enable you to download new updates online but at a higher cost. Do you guys buy the tunes from people you think are the most reputable or is there something more about the tunes I don't know? I'm real close to buying one soon and it is between two different brands, I don't want to start any mudslinging so I wont mention the brands. If the only difference is the fancy flasher I think I know which one I'll go with! Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
both SCT & the Predator will allow you to download through e-mail and it ALL depends on who you get it from that makes the difference.
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
I'm in the same boat but I'll throw in my observations and I WILL name names because the two players I'm most interested in seem to be legitimately interested: Corrections welcome.

Hypnotic tune:
Uses the SCT tuner, it's a simple unit it programs the ECU, no fancy data logging, no reading the codes for the "Check Engine Light" etc.

BOTH tune significantly increases torque at lower RPMs, they correct the fuel mixture, cam timing, ignintion timing etc. so that the engine "catches" when the acclerator is pressed and the engine spins down when it's released. My guess is that SVT put in all the nice hardware but couldn't do much about the tune due to emission guidelines.

Hypnotic's tune: $345, SCT tuner and will completly disable the TC when the TC button is pressed. Really nice guy, really helpful, some dyno info and has a link on his web page to:

Tom's Tune: $515 Diablo Predator tuner, cool device, can record stuff about your engine as you drive & send it to your PC for inspection afterwards, can read and explain Check Engine Light codes. Tom is working on getting the TC completely deactivated once the button is pushed. Five days no question asked return policy on his tune & the tuner.

Observations (from posts): BOTH tunes are awesome, both tune will immensely improve the drivability & fun of your car, make launches easier and (from what people say about hypnotic's tune) possilby improve mileage.

Tom seems to be more "hardcore" than hypnotic (sorry Wayne) Tom has a dyno handy and has 300 or so runs on his fleet of focus'. Tom sells turbos & all kinds of fancy hardware to make your focus wicked sick fast so Tom really knows the focus and SVT inside and out. Tom offers three months of free updates if you mod your car after you've purchased the tune.

Hypnotic (Wayne) is very customer oriented and his tune works well, I've seen dynos from his customers and the gains are impressive.

Summary: Both tunes are great, both guys are customer oriented, either tune will significantly improve your car, the tunes are easy to install and give instant results, neither will damage or shorten the lifespan of your vehicle. Many say that this is the best, easiest mod to make to a SVT.

ALL: Please make any corrections to my assertions, everything I wrote above is strictly from observations, if I've misrepresented anything (likely) or ommited any facts (likely) please reply to this thread.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Hmm. Very good write-up, Anyone else have the tuners? IE: Mcnews or Focussport? I would like to know.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
You'll get about the same dyno results from both tunes but I went with the Predator due to it being a better piece of hardware. Toms tune is not more money than Waynes it is the Predator all the money is going to. The predator is $399 off of Diablo's website so you are only paying $100 for the tune (the other $20 to $15 is shippping). I just wanted a piece of equipment that I can continue to use once I flash my car. Instead of flashing your car with the SCT and sticking it in the closet you can use the Predator when ever you want to play around with the data logging and its other features. People say "I don't need data logging" but if I asked you how your cai works in the summer all you could say is "good I guess" with the Predator you could know the exact temp of the air that reaches the MAF sensor. You could also monitor your cooling system temp, the amount of air flow the MAF sensor is reading, the list goes on and on but this info is usefull. In my loose opinion its like buying two big screen TV's, are you willing to pay more for the better product or do you just want the cheapest big screen just so you can say you have a big screen. I'm not saying that SCT is cheap that was just an example (maybe a bad one).
Old 03-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
both SCT and Diablo are very well known and reputable companies. Its just that Diablo came out with the datalogger first because both compnaies were rushing their products to the market. but as for SCT, rumor has it that they will be coming out with a hand held flasher that datalogs and clears cels like the predator and suposedly it's gonna be cheaper as well, not by much but still cheaper. i think the reason SCT choose to have just a box as a flasher is because they can cater to the less wealthy, not saying those that have the diablo are rich or anything it's just that they needed to make a flasher that is cheaper because not everyone can afford upwards of $500, especially that would translate into approx. $650 canadian after the exchange rate. but for me personally, i am waiting for SCT to release the new handheld flasher and then upgrade mine.
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 03-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by sidney61199
You'll get about the same dyno results from both tunes but I went with the Predator due to it being a better piece of hardware. Toms tune is not more money than Waynes it is the Predator all the money is going to. The predator is $399 off of Diablo's website so you are only paying $100 for the tune (the other $20 to $15 is shippping). I just wanted a piece of equipment that I can continue to use once I flash my car. Instead of flashing your car with the SCT and sticking it in the closet you can use the Predator when ever you want to play around with the data logging and its other features. People say "I don't need data logging" but if I asked you how your cai works in the summer all you could say is "good I guess" with the Predator you could know the exact temp of the air that reaches the MAF sensor. You could also monitor your cooling system temp, the amount of air flow the MAF sensor is reading, the list goes on and on but this info is usefull. In my loose opinion its like buying two big screen TV's, are you willing to pay more for the better product or do you just want the cheapest big screen just so you can say you have a big screen. I'm not saying that SCT is cheap that was just an example (maybe a bad one).
Not to start this debate again , but once you know the "exact temp" of the air that reaches the MAF sensor...what then? Besides knowing what it is, this info is still useless to the average person, no?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVTmonkey
Not to start this debate again , but once you know the "exact temp" of the air that reaches the MAF sensor...what then? Besides knowing what it is, this info is still useless to the average person, no?
Then what? Then you can figure out:

if the factory intake is better for lower intake temps, or:

if the Cool-Flo's heatshield really works as advertised or:

if the cheaper Steeda short ram that has no heat shield results in the same intake temp or:

if you really need a CAI to get lower intake temps, and of those CAIs:

if the AEM one lowers intake temps the most or:

if the Pipercross one lowers it more or:

if the Pipercross CF really does lower it more because of no heat soak so you should spend the extra $$$ on it.

Even if you don't know how to interpret the data, you could send the log off to your tuner, who could go, "hmmm - when I wrote this tune in February, it worked fine, but now it's July, and this customer lives in Houston, and now I'm seeing his knock sensor pulling timing..." etc.

After a bolt-on mod, you could log it, send the file off, and see if your tuner can find another couple of hp laying around.

I could go on.

Believe me, SCT is dying to get their item into the works, because their dealers/tuners will be able to get chargeable work coming into the shop (tune touch-ups) that don't tie up a bay or the dyno!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Fordson
Then what? Then you can figure out:

if the factory intake is better for lower intake temps, or:

if the Cool-Flo's heatshield really works as advertised or:

if the cheaper Steeda short ram that has no heat shield results in the same intake temp or:

if you really need a CAI to get lower intake temps, and of those CAIs:

if the AEM one lowers intake temps the most or:

if the Pipercross one lowers it more or:

if the Pipercross CF really does lower it more because of no heat soak so you should spend the extra $$$ on it.
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but who is going to have the means to get all those different intakes and try them out? I doubt the average working Joe can afford to buy a bunch of intakes and other mods just to see which gives better numbers. On the other points, I can see where that could be of some value but I'm sure the tuner has already taken into consideration the type of climate the vehicle will be operated in the most. Thats just my take on the subject.
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by jaykirs
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but who is going to have the means to get all those different intakes and try them out? I doubt the average working Joe can afford to buy a bounch of intakes and other mods just to see which gives better numbers. On the other points, I can see where that could be of some value but I'm sure the tuner has already taken into consideration the type of climate the vehicle will be operated in the most. Thats just my take on the subject.
Nah - nobody's starting an argument - this is all good info.

No one person will be able to test them all. That is my point - I have no desire to spend a fortune to find out what works, but if you have a Cool-Flo, datalog and find that your intake temps are x at x degrees outside temps, I can read about it in a thread you create. Then, I can see what air temps I'm getting with the stock intake. Is it worth $200? Now I will know.

Among all FF members, I'm sure we have just about every intake anyone ever made for an SVTF, plus a couple of Home Depot specials people have thought up. Before you spend $800 on a CF hood with intakes in it, wouldn't you like to know if it really drops intake air temps? Some guy with one and a Predator can log his temps and you can log yours and compare - is it worth it to you to buy one?

We can share the info.

All we have had to go on until now was manufacturer's claims and the occasional dyno posting. Now we can start to talk about real numbers for air temp reaching the MAF sensor, just like we can talk about dyno numbers. We will have objective numbers, not seat-of-the-pants impressions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.