How loud is the clutch TSB problem? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19416
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 RS3RS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How loud is the clutch TSB problem?

I noticed last night on my SVTF (2003 ZX5) that when it's in neutral, and I let the clutch out, I can hear and feel (through the clutch petal) a rattling. I can hear it more when the clutch is very slightly pressed in than when it's fully released, but it's still there even when my foot is completely off of it.

I called the stealership and made an apointment for Monday, but then I read on here that it sounds like someone shaking a coffee can full of marbles. Mine does sound like that, but it's not very loud, I can just barely hear it... If it's still faint, that is still most likely the TSB issue, right?

Either way I'll take it to the dealer (with a printed out copy of the TSB) to see what they have to say, just thought I'd make sure that I'm right in thinking it's the TSB...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds right to me.
Mine was very faint, and I ended up with the whole shebang, including a new transaxle.
Hope you fare as well at your Dealer.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #3

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
That pretty much describes to the "t" what I was hearing and experiencing myself. It was louder when there was something near the car (like a wall) to reflect the sound back, but I could still clearly hear it even sitting in the driveway at home. Hope your dealer is accomodating, some are easier to work with than others on this issue.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7200
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Euro AP

FF Reputation: 1 onebluemcm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
RS3RS-
I think mine is doing the exact same thing you described, just to coroborate what you are experiencing. Two questions - what mileage do you have on the car and second, is the clutch still working normally?

I'm at 19,000mi (yikes! - owned sicne last APRIL!) and the clutch works fine as far as I can tell - no slipping, grabs well etc. It has made the described noise since the get go as far as I can remember and really nothing has changed all this time. Maybe - and a big maybe - the clutch engages just a bit further away from the floor than it did initially, but this is pretty hard to judge subjectively.

I'm really debating what to do. First of all, I may be too far along in the mileage department. More importantly for me though, I'm weary of having the work done because there is so much that could be screwed up or put back together wrong. And if it is working ok, it's hard for me to subject my car to a tranny removal. But, if the work can be done under warranty or the TSB, how can I turn that down? I don't mean to knock Ford service or service shops in general, but more often than not for me, after major work is done I have been able to find things that haven't been reassembled correctly, cosmetic damage, even grease and grime on seats etc - previous vehicles I'm talking about. I recently had a tire patched on the fSVT - one of my Contis - and they managed to bacisally destroy the rim - scratches and chipped paint to beat the band. They did replace the wheel, but it becomes hard for me to have a lot of faith in these guys when crap like that happens.....

I'd be curious to know the result of what you find out on Monday. Good luck.
K
Old 02-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

My car is at 20k, and the clutch seems to be working fine. I just got the car last week though (preowned, obviously, by a single owner), so I don't really know how it acted before.

Hopefully the dealer won't screw up my car too bad... One thing I've been proud of since I got the car, is that you can look ANYWHERE on the car, and there's not a single scratch, mark, stain, or anything on the car that doesn't look completely brand new. If the dealership stains my seats, or scratchs anything, I'll kill someone...

I'll definitely post what I find out Monday, hopefully it will all go well.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #6

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
I was feeling the same way, scared that I would get the car back and it would be wrecked. They took the transaxle out not once but twice, and to the best of my knowledge, everything is where it should be and there's not a scratch or stain left behind from them doing the work. But I know the feeling, one time when I first got the car, I took it to the closest Ford dealer to me (not an SVT dealer) for an oil change and the oil 'technician' got oil on the fabric door insert, left greasy handprints everywhere, and spilled tons of oil on the exhaust.

For the most part, my experience with having this car serviced is that the SVT-certified technicians go to a fair amount of trouble to make sure the car leaves in the same condition it came in.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7200
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Euro AP

FF Reputation: 1 onebluemcm Good Standing Member
RS3RS-
Yes, please give us a report once you get things figured out. Appreciate it.

SVT4ME - I agree about the SVT dealers - for SVT vehicles, there is no better. The closest for me is 1hr+ away. But, if I take it in, we are supposed to get loaner cars being SVT owners so if I make sure they are ready to give me one if I take it there, I guess all should be ok. I probably should make a few calls and if possible, get this under way before the mileage gets too high.

Later all,
K
Old 02-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
I bought mine a fe wmonths ago used (03). I just took it in and they told me this week they are doing the clutch TSb (I took it in there with me). I have 18,000 miles on it. They didn't say a thing.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15448
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 yakimushi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thanks everyone, this is a great thread. Especially concerning what the issue sounds like.

I went out to my car and listened real good, and I've got the noise. Sooooo, it's going in on Monday with the TSB in my hand!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Well, dropped it off at the dealer. Didn't seem to have any problems, the guy listened to it and acknowledged that it sounded like the clutch TSB. Dropped it off, and he said it would get looked at tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. Didn't bother getting a loaner car, as we have too many as it is, and I've been wanting to drive my other car anyway. Will update when I find out more info

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.