Focus Fanatics Forum banner

03 SVTF ZX3 or RSX type S

2K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  Iceboy9191 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals, I am probably going to be getting rid of my 03 Cobra to free up some $$ due to a new baby and new house but I still want something relatively fun to cruise in on my short commute to and from work. I am looking to stay under $15k and closer to $12k. I have found an 03 SVTF ZX3 for $13k and an 02 RSX Type S for $15k both have around 25k miles.

In doing research, it looks like the RSX is quite a bit faster in a straight line (over a second ahead to 60) but it doesn't handle nearly as well. I assume the RSX will probably hold its value a little better and be a little more reliable too but probably not as fun. I only put about 8k a year on the car anyway so reliability as mileage piles on is not my highest concern. What do you guys/gals think?

#6 ·
I just priced the insurance on the RSX type S. Can you believe it is $200 more every 6 months than my 03 Cobra? I was quoted over $625/6 months because of the high performance surcharge and theft rate.

I only pay $420 every 6 months on my 03 Cobra. I was quoted $290 every 6 months for the SVTF which made sense. I am way over 25, married with no points and good driver discount too. I am in shock. That makes the decision easy for me at least...

#7 ·
i agree with above, but if you are a tall guy, the RSX is pretty small. Backseat is tiny as well, but performance is much better for the RSX.

#9 ·
I'd go for the svtf. 1.) the rarity 2.) more options on it 3.) type-s isn'y that fast. I don't care if it's quicker than svtf. It feels boring. 4.) I have had so far four Honda loyalist tell me they the svtf is the only American car they would buy over a Honda, and that's saying alot! 5.) KBB is all bullshit. there are options on the svtf that aren't even mentioned when KBB rates it. So you can sell it for more than KBB. Here in PHX, I have seen ONLY TWO svtf's for sale, and that's on a lot and privately. 6.) there is a guy on this website that traded his type-s in for an svtf 7.) I'm married also with kids, and this is the best bang for the buck you're gonna get for your price range. believe me I know. I tried looking at SRT-4's and Mazda3's..all of them outrageous. 8.) SVT's are the shit, and you know how good they are!

There, I gave you 8 reasons to buy an svtf

#12 ·
baby cobra said:
yea i raced one too but he couldnt get away 4rm me he looked stock and i had the aem cai and orp so its easy to get the svtf as quick as the rsx-s

I had orp and panel k&n at the time. He looked stock but did not sound stock[???:)] I would rather have my car as I luv my Recaros, HIDS and madd handling and that awesome sound from 5k to 7k with the SRI/ORP combo. I cant hardley wait for the predator[burnout] than I must dyno as it will kill me to know what Im layin down[headbang]

#14 ·
Mork said:
Hey guys/gals, I am probably going to be getting rid of my 03 Cobra to free up some $$ due to a new baby and new house but I still want something relatively fun to cruise in on my short commute to and from work. I am looking to stay under $15k and closer to $12k. I have found an 03 SVTF ZX3 for $13k and an 02 RSX Type S for $15k both have around 25k miles.

In doing research, it looks like the RSX is quite a bit faster in a straight line (over a second ahead to 60) but it doesn't handle nearly as well. I assume the RSX will probably hold its value a little better and be a little more reliable too but probably not as fun. I only put about 8k a year on the car anyway so reliability as mileage piles on is not my highest concern. What do you guys/gals think?
I know this car is for you, but for occasional baby duty I would not want to try to get a kid and all that stuff into the back of a Type-S. If you are getting a 5-door SVTF that would be another tie-breaker IMO. Even a 3-door SVTF has way more room in it.

#15 ·
I say go with the SVT as far as reliability the Type-s do have problems with there second gear synchro's. Ive know a couple of guys who have type-s's and have had to change their tranny's a couple of times. But thats just my 2 cents. You should go with what suits u best test drive both cars and base ur decision on that. Good luck hopefully u'll join the SVT focus family

#16 ·
As much as I love my car, there is something about the rsx-type s that really moves me. Plus the sound of the i-vtec (STOCK NO FART CAN) is awesome. Again, i'd test drive them both and consider what you said about insurance.

#17 ·
i think insurance would make the decision for me also, but you can also look at it as a better investment in the type s for resale, we all know our cars are worth more than what kbb says they are but its gonna be really hard to sell something over kbb, If i could afford the insurance i would probably get the type s, that way we could trade cars every other week, right?[wiggle]

#18 ·
Well, I have tried several insurance companies and, although none of the others were nearly as high as the $620/6 mo. my current agent quoted me, all were higher than it would cost to insure my 03 Cobra with them. That really stumps me. My Cobra has more than twice the power, a higher sticker price, blah blah blah. I am not going to pay more for insurance on a less expensive car so it looks like that will make my decision pretty easy.

I did find an 01 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe with only 35k selling for $14k so I am going to investigate that guy too. It has more power but is heavier and nowhere near as fun to drive but probably more reliable. I am a performance junkie though (thus the 03 Cobra in the garage right now) so the SVTF is really appealing to me. I am going to drive the SVTF at a couple of different dealers this weekend, both a 02 and 03, along with a couple of Accord EX coupes with the V6 engine. I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the help, I am surprised at how honest you guys/gals are here. I kind of expected some RSX bashing but am glad that didn't happen. Keep the opinions coming!!

#20 ·
screw the accord. That year is horrible. Too much weight. The SVTF is definately a fun car and so is the RSX (stock, not as great in the twisties). If your gonna mod the car then the RSX Type-S responds great to bolt-ons and some sticky tires. For an all around great car in every catagory, the SVTF wins hands down.

#21 ·
Wailabod said:
the v6 accord, does NOT feel like it has a v6 they are extremely slow, even compared to our none to fast svtfs.
I just drove one and boy are you right about that! It is nice and roomy but not quick by any stretch of the imagination. The auto trans felt really slushy as well, like it wasn't sure what gear it wanted to be in sometimes.

The 02 SVTF I drove was really crisp handling and I was surprised at how quick and agile it actually is. I had prepared myself for the worst in the accleration department coming from my Cobra but the SVTF really isn't that bad in that department. It is nowhere near as quick as my Cobra but it didn't feel sluggish or slow to me either. I liked the 6 speed but having reverse over by first gear instead of by 6th like my Cobra will take a little getting used to. Do you guys ever go backwards at traffic lights? LOL. The SVTF seemed faster than the Accord EX V6 too. I am going to look at an 03 SVTF tomorrow, hopefully that dealer will be a little more generous on my trade than Carmax was with the 02.

I think the RSX is out for insurance reasons. I am not going to subsidize bad drivers by paying higher insurance than my Cobra on a $15k, 200 horse car. Thanks for the help, guys. I am sure most of you have better things to do than help me pick a commuter car!

#22 ·
I would get an RSX-S I drove one before I got my SVT not knowing about all the reliability issues with the SVT and the only reason I got the SVT was becasue the cars were generally cheaper in resale and I wanted to keep my payment down. The inside if the RSX-S are definatly nicer and the seats are amazzing. I'm not a big fan of the V-Tec...oh S**T thats fast. But they are more impresive tehn the stcok SVT engine.

#23 ·
While I would usually be the last person to bring something like this up, seeing as you might be putting a baby in the back seat, I thought I'd let you know....the SVTF has a horrible side impact rating for the rear passengers. If that's a concern for you, then maybe pick something else. Otherwise, I would go for the SVT! This car is so damn fun to drive it is ridiculous, it has every damn option imaginable, the back seat is damn roomy, its a limited production vehicle that you don't see very often. I dunno, I just love this car. I drove an RSX Type S before I bought my SVT and I didn't find it to be anything special. Plus, with the tunes that are out now, this car will drive like a friggin dream with even more torque down low, with a few mods you'll keep up with an RSX no problem. (oh, and I realize that you already ruled the RSX out, but at least I'm making you feel good about your decision [;)]).

Good luck.

#24 ·
One thing I like about the SVT Focus is it gets attention from people who know their cars, even people who don't, actually. People are always asking me what it is, and I see people taking sideways glances at it as they walk past it in a parking lot. I can't say I've seen people show as much interest in an Acura RSX, no matter what model.

The RSX was one of the cars I briefly considered before purchasing the Focus... I can't say exactly why I didn't choose it, but the car just didn't "do it" for me. Plus, as the insurance apparently bears out, it's the car of choice for young, dumb, careless and/or reckless drivers. But if you buy an SVT Focus, be prepared for dealer visits! Seriously. It will happen, sooner or later. And I'm betting a Ford dealer is a less pleasant place to deal with than an Acura dealer.

#25 ·
Well guys, I am now the proud owner of a red 2003 SVTF with the cold weather package and HIDs, audiophile, moonroof, etc... I think it has everything but the EAP with the different wheels and seats. The car came with the 5/100k powertrain and the original owner had purchased the top of the line ESP package for 5/60k so everything will be covered on the car until 10/2008. I drive so little, I won't hit the mileage in that amount of time. I wish I could have found a sonic blue SVTF since my 03 Cobra was the same color and it is by far my favorite but it wasn't in the cards and the deal was better than I was hoping to get.

The car is a blast to drive, especially above 4k on the tach, and, although it is nowhere near as fast as my 03 Cobra, it has more creature comforts and more room in the front, believe it or not. I can still hit 75 or so when merging onto the highway on the on-ramps so it has plenty of giddy-up. Since I pretty much sit in traffic all the time, the sound system and roof will make the ride much more fun, especially when it gets a little warmer around here. Thanks for your honest opinions, everyone, I am glad to be a member of the family!

By the way, I hear ya, SVT4ME. I am very familiar with the dealer visit thing, I had a 98 Cobra before my 03 Cobra so I know what I am getting into with the SVT cars. Usually they are pretty minor things but a pain nonetheless.

I don't really plan on putting kids in the car unless I have to since moving car seats is such a pain, especially with 2, but when they are a bit older I might need to, if I still have the car in 5 years or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.