which cat-back exhaust do you recommend? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
which cat-back exhaust do you recommend?

Yeah, I did a search but still have some questions. Right now, I'm debating between the Magnaflow, Borla, and MBRP. Based on what I've found, the MBRP sounds a bit ricey for me, the Borla is a little pricey and the Magnaflow is very reasonably priced. What is your experience with any of these systems. Stainless steel is a must for my location and I don't want something ricey or droning on the highway. Also, where is the best price on each? I've found Magnaflow setups for $300, no prices on the MBRP, and about $500 on the Borla. I'm just not sure if I can justify an extra $200 for the borla...I mean how much different can the gains be? True, it is 2.5", but I think that's too big for what I want to do with the car. It will probably never go FI...mostly just CAI, Cams (if they ever come out) and POSSIBLY an ORP if I move to an area that overlooks that stuff. So, for bolt-ons, 2.5" would probably be too large.

<insert your input here>

Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
too large..no, the borla is the price because its the best....but for the price, just buy the mbrp...though i sure as hell would always do borla.
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have Borla, and the ORP and I love it, but we all have budgets and the MagnaFlow is a really good setup. My sister has MagnaFlow and loves it, she too just has a few bolt on mods and did not want to spend out the extra money for the Borla. Its all about what you really want and will be happy with...

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 11-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

the borla really is my first choice, but I def want to still shop around. Why did you rate Borla as the best? Sound? Construction? Performance? I want the nicest sound with the lowest torque loss and most HP gain.

Let me know,
Nick
Old 11-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
Project All Motor

Fan#: 1114
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE with Zetec engine

FF Reputation: 1 ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
I've got the Borla and it sounds nice, get that one man. You'll love it. Doesn't sound ricey at all, has a nice 3 1/2 inch tip. Borla is good for many reasons, it's made of stainless steel and the sound is nice! Pratically all of the cat backs that your looking into, produce the same amount of power. You'll see around 3 more whp from them.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1262
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, 04 R1

FF Reputation: 1 Wolf71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm also looking at the Borla, I've heard over and over that it's one of the best.

What is ORP? That's one I haven't heard of yet!

99 Buell X1 Carbon Fiber Extreme
V&H Pipe, Forcewinder Intake, Race Computer, Power Commander III, Banke Rear-sets, Ceramic Coated Headers

04 Yamaha R1 Shift Red
Greggs Custom Flush Mounts, Integrated Tail Light, Graves Fender Eliminator and Frame Sliders, Zero Gravity Smoked Screen
Old 11-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #7
Project All Motor

ORP mean Off Road Pipe, it replaces the cat pipe. A ORP isn't legal though. It's best for people who use there car for daily stuff but like to go to the track, they can go to the track and replace the cat pipe with a ORP and before they go home put the cat pipe back on.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 517
What I Drive: 00 ZX3, 00 Dakota CC R/T

FF Reputation: 1 BIGBADWORM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Been some threads on exhausts lately or what..........best deal has still got to be the Magnaflow for $235.00
Old 11-24-2003, 12:57 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

yeah, that is my hitch. www.c-f-m.com has the magnaflow in stock and shipped to my door it will only run $288. Now maybe the Borla makes 1or 2 more whp, but I'm not sure if I can justify an extra ~$200 for that. I listened to the sound clip on www.magnaflow.com and I think it sounds pretty nice (nicer than MBRP IMO). The borla clip on www.trubendz.com sounds ricier to me. Maybe its just the soundclip, but for the savings, the magnaflow seems like a deal.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:06 AM   #10
Project All Motor

WHOA buddy, the borla exhaust does not sound like a rice can one friggin bit!! If it did, I would of sold it a long time ago, and I'm sure alot of other people who got the borla would of done the same. The MBRP doesn't sound like a rice can either, it sounds more like a rally car. Enough bout that, if you wanna save money, then get the magnaflow, its stainless steel which is a plus, has 2.25" piping which is ok if you want to do minimal mods. Do what you want though, all 3 of those cat backs are good.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.