Newbie Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1490
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Kermit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newbie Questions

Hi people,

Driving my new 03 svtf for a few days now and having a ball.

Lifting the throttle does not scrub rpms quickly enough. Shifting up forces the next hight gear to drop the rpms. This makes up shifting problematic. Double clutching does not seem to suffer from this slow rpm drop thank goodness. This also creates auto tranny style coasting when lifting throttle.

1. Does anyone know how this slow rpm drop can be alleviated?

Is there a throttle control device purposely doing this?
Is it a programmatic thing in the ECU?
Will I need to replace the massive flywheel Ford put into this car with a lighter one?
Is there a throttle linkage device that can be disconnected to prevent this dashpot effect?

Maybe I am too used to controlling travel speed via throttle. I don't think it's right that a manual tranny allow so much coasting when lifting the throttle.

2. My car gets disabled often, won't start. If I wait a few minutes it goes away. Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks,
Kermit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
According to my ford dealer and what they said SVT said is... The car is programed to drop RPM's slowly as it has a "sports car" Program! Allowing for wuicker shifting as not having the RPM's fall to low between shifts!
Old 11-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Imajsdaddy, thanks but I don't buy your dealer's explanation.

The "sports car" program is bunk. If the throttle hangs between upshifts the rpms will be forced to drop as soon as you let the clutch out. This rpm drop should occur naturally and no it's not programmed in I am sure.

I suspect the ECU is programmed that way for emmision purposes. I understand this last ECU bios release 'YRF0' released last month might solve that problem or at least aleviate it.

I plan on contacting my dealer this coming week regarding my car's failure to crank over anytime it feels like it and then when it does it cold idles at very high rpms. Will get back to you when I find out.

Have you had your ECU re-flashed to this latest bios and if so did it improve your driveability?

Thanks very much,

Kermit
Old 11-16-2003, 12:34 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1283
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX5 SVT Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 2 RicRat Good Standing Member
You definitely need to get the reflash. It makes the car run a lot smoother.
Never had a problem with not wanting to turn over or stalling problems I've read about.
My 2000 Focus LX did the same thing with not idling down when shifting.
I was accused of floating the gears or not letting off the gas when I shifted.
I took it to the dealer and they said that was one of Ford's better ideas.
Suppose to allow for smoother shifting.
I think it's bunk myself, I like to use engine braking to slow the car.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
Hey... Never said not to get the reflash, I think any who doesn't is ignorant! It's the best thing to happen to the SVTF since it came out!

Also I think my dealer is full of CRAP as well! So hay I agree with you! They also said a knocking noise from my engine is normal! Oh well! It'll either blow up or they will end up buying it back and replacing it! Got to love the dispute settlement board!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

You know you got it right when you are crawling in stop and go/slow traffic (walking speed), and you rarely need to apply the brakes as you can practically drive at idle, then 5-15mph and back to near 0mph using the throttle only. That's good throttle control and I don't seem to have it, yet.

Kermit
Old 11-17-2003, 12:45 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1732
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FreelanceFocusSVT Good Standing Member
what the hell is reflush
Old 11-17-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1262
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, 04 R1

FF Reputation: 1 Wolf71 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by FreelanceFocusSVT
what the hell is reflush
That's when the toilet doesn't flush everything out on the first time, so you have to do it again. Also known as "Double Flushing"!

I haven't checked to see if mine has been reflashed yet, I'll have to do that. I suspect that the slow RPM drop may have something to do with the slow rev'ing nature of this engine. I'm very curious to see if an aftermarket aluminum flywheel would help both of these issues. It is kind of annoying when you pull up to a light and the thing is still dropping rev's, makes it look like you don't know what the heck your doing, same with shifting. And if they did do this to help make shifting smoother, they failed pretty bad, especially when the gear hangs up downshifting, especially from 5th.

99 Buell X1 Carbon Fiber Extreme
V&H Pipe, Forcewinder Intake, Race Computer, Power Commander III, Banke Rear-sets, Ceramic Coated Headers

04 Yamaha R1 Shift Red
Greggs Custom Flush Mounts, Integrated Tail Light, Graves Fender Eliminator and Frame Sliders, Zero Gravity Smoked Screen

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.