Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Top speed manifolds

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  iminhell 
#1 ·
I saw the top speed intake manifolds and I was wondering if it is worth getting???

#6 ·
^ no need. intake manifold is not a restriction until MUCH higher hp numbers.. such as 400 or so... I'm sure turbo tom could chime in to give you an exact number. But i know if it wont do squat for a non turboed focus..

#9 ·
It does add power to a N/A SVT, and it helps to run lower PSI to reach 300-350HP max for stock internals, with a fast spooling turbo. Our stock intake manifold is restrictive, very for an actual built NA focus. Nothing is needed for our cars, but they're performance and this allows for more of that.

Seeing how the OP spent half the money of the manifold on a 69mmTB that would show less gains. The manifold woud be alot more useful then the TB.

Buy mine that is for sell FWIW.

#19 ·
Our stock intake manifold is restrictive, very for an actual built NA focus.
I had no real problems.
Only swapped because I got a killer deal.

Frankly, you have to know what RPM range you're shooting for. There is no aftermarket manifold that will cover all the bases. Stock does a pretty decent job, but it starts to fall way up top ... but that's because the cams can't breathe anymore.

IMHO, to really see any gains you need to couple a new manifold with bigger cams.
Yes efficient flow will help some, but it's negligible.

The FRIM feels like it makes power from 5.5K up. But it could be because I've lost low end. W/O a dyno I can't tell. I do know that power felt smoother with the stock SVT, my dyno reflects that, TQ was pretty. TQ with the TS is peaky, I imagine the same holds true for the FRIM.

#10 ·
^ it seems like too much space in side there to help with a "fast spooling turbo" If anything i feel like it would make it spool slower because it has to fill all of that room.

#12 ·
oh no, it's not offense at all man. I'm not into huge power numbers so you're probably more knowledgeable on the subject matter. I was just simply giving my $0.02

I'm not sure if we're misunderstanding each other. Correct me if i'm wrong, but It's like using 3" intercooler pipes when only 2.5" is needed. the 3" pipes give SLIGHTLY less spool time because it has more room to fill with air before it gets to the engine. It seems to me that it's the same concept with the intake manifold. Therefore if someone is using a LARGE turbo, 3" intercooler pipes are needed. Much like your intake manifold. But for those using a smaller turbo, only 2.5" pipes are needed and anything bigger may reduce spool time. I'm not knocking your intake manifold at all, it's a nice manifold and I wish the best of luck to you in selling it.

#13 ·
Have you seen, the stock SVT Manifold...... It's alot bigger then the TopSpeed Manifold, due being a DSM, the performance gain from the TopSpeed isn't due to ....?"More Air Space" .. I think I'm just not understanding. Also I think for the money, it is one of the best upgrades, vs a 300buck SRI/CAI or 250TB, that both virtualy show no gains.

#14 ·
yea, I have a SVT manifold actually lol. but like i said it just seems bigger from the picture and i'm not very familiar with them so i could be (and most likely am) completely wrong in saying so.

I do know that the ford racing intake manifold has a little bit more "air space" in the manifold than a smooth runner, however it does flow smoother and being made of metal it doesn't burst under heavy boost. I'm assuming the same goes for your manifold..

#18 ·
Not sure what kinda driviablity you're losing, but there no torque lost at all thru the whole RPMband..... you gain 12/9 from there dyno with a really not so great SVT.

Also the arguement that you need a tune and a tune gives 10 WHP, is just useless. Seeing how everyone on this forum reguardless of what mods they have should have a tune already.

#17 ·
with that intake mani though you will probably want to get a tune along with it, so another $400 ish. A tune will net you somewhere in the 4-10whp range alone, but with the added benefit of driveability. couple that with an ORP for another $150-200 and gains are better.

There is spending money for performance, but then there is spending money on performance wisely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.