Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any Cat experts?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  paulg127 
#1 ·
Seriously? What is the difference between a 49 state catalytic converter and a 50 state one, if both have OBDII and O2 sensor locations?

Everywhere I look says they will not ship to CA. I'm going to get some local muffler shop quotes and if too outrageous, I will have the cat shipped to my Mom and then have her ship it to me. [gunfire]Kalifornia

#4 ·
Both cats will work. The "50" state cat is CARB certified and will have a little stamp on it that says so. Basically, the manufacturer paid a lot of money for the CARB to test and approve it's quality and HC/CO/NOx reduction capability.

The only reason the uncertified one would cause a problem is if a knucklehead at the IM240 testing station looks for a CARB stamp and decides to fail you as a result.

I refuse to live in an area that requires this nonsense so I am not keen on the level of enforcement/corruption.

#10 ·
Alright now this one I know I can answer since I have to learn this as a Ford Technician. A 50 state legal catalytic converter catalyst is designed to pass the most stringent emissions tests of California. Where the 49 state legal one doesn't have that high a level of a catalyst. The difference you will find when you try to get one from Magnaflow is that if your car came from the factory equipped with a California catalytic converter and you order a 49 you will get a MIL which no matter what state you live in you will fail emissions testing. Magnaflow actually has a code for the engines that you can get from your car that tells them what the type of catalytic converter your car comes equipped with. Here is a perfect example of why this doesn't matter what state you're in but how your car came out of the factory, I live in Pennsylvania and I purchased my car in a county that doesn't do emissions testing due to our population density and my car is equipped with a California 50 state catalytic converter.

#12 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm not getting response notifications...will check settings.
I got a quote from a local shop for $450. I figure it's best to go this route (or stocker) than buy one myself and weld it. If I jack a $200 cat, then it will turn into $650 and wasted time. Going to go negotiate and see if I can get a catback for a bit extra.

#14 ·
Find a shop that will see your $50 bill sitting in your engine area when they go to do the visual inspection. When I was living in SoCal, and had to emision test the one car I ever had to do that with, I knew what shop to take it to. I knew he enjoyed a little extra money in his pocket; if I helped line his pocket a little more, his eyesight would become a little less clear. (if you get my drift)

Disclaimer: You need to be VERY discreet about your intentions if you chose to try this. Some shops will turn you away, some will even notify the authorities. If you were to get caught trying to bribe your way past an emissions test you could face heavy monetary penalties and possibly even some incarceration. Ask your friends, ask your buddy who hasn't figured out how to get his medicinal herb license yet. They might know of shop that could "help" you out.

Disclaimer #2: I am in no way responsible for YOUR choices. If you get caught, that's on you. PLAY IT SMART, be discreet!!

#15 ·
Thanks everyone!

Found a shop here in San Diego that put on a new cat and a new exhaust. (PO had a crappy fart can on there)
So, all my O2 sensor codes went away! This leaves me with a spare O2 sensor, I guess. :)

#16 ·
Also in CA don't you have to show evidence of a bad CAT? Guess yours was either bad or found a shop that was willing to do it.

#17 ·
No. I'm sure if you wanted to pay a mechanic, they would replace a brand new cat with a CARB approved cat if you insisted.

No need to, in my case anyway. There wasn't one there.

#18 ·
There is only 1 catalyst for the SVT Focus, sold everywhere, there was no different Cal hardware, all was submitted as 50 state certification. As long as you get a new cat, there is almost no doubt that it would pass any smog check. New cats convert EVERYTHING very quickly, even if it is not OEM. Seems the CFM cat should do the job. There is just a bunch of paperwork and a few emissions tests to get a Cal exemption, but it takes several thousand for a company to do that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.