Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Suggestions on a quiet exhaust?

5K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Ams13 
#1 ·
Loving my newly acquired svt. Having a terminator and a fox body, I can't believe I slept on buying one of these sooner as a dd. Anyway, I have done some searching on exhaust and have read many opinions w/o a comfortable conclusion. My car is pretty loud with a crazy drone in 6th gear @3000 rpms. My current setup includes an orp and possible a mbrp exhaust system. I'm looking at the stealth fswerks system to replace the catback. I called fswerks and asked a salesperson how loud the stealth system is with an orp and he honestly didn't know.

So:

1) is the fswerks stealth system still bearable with an orp?

2) will installing the factory cat quiet down the as is system?

3) other suggestions?

Preciate the advice!

#5 ·
ORP/HFC Will not make a big diffrences its more removing the resonators that an issue. I have the stock muffler and a HFC, I like the sound but cops that go after "tuners" will now pull you over because your focus doesn't sound like any focus they ever heard! Which I am like you I had a 93 Cobra, with Flowmasters America 45 series, louder then my focus ever! But never been pulled over, was with my friend in his 07 GT with Pype cat back stright and a cop pulls me over and not him "laughs"

#6 ·
It appears I have some sort of resonator. It's still loud though. I'm hoping to knock this out in one try. Stock cat vs a catback system. It seems as if it will be easier and cheaper to get the catback.

Funny how my 93 mustang with a procharger and magnaflows sounds like a 747. I've had a few police officers ride beside me and actually give me thumbs up. With the svtf, I'm probably gonna get some unwanted attention. I'm just trying to get to work, lol. I'm even taking off slow to try to keep the rpms down.

#7 ·
Yeah and its the way ours reverbrate that in traffic when people look, on the highway whatever. Mangaflow for chevys wth man....... I'm ashmed to hear this. You should have two Resonators the 2nd one removed is the lunch box delete I have I let the shop keep it thinking I've no issues since I live in Virginia and we got alot of ******* chevys

#14 ·
Tried the resonator approach (muffler shop brand) and this didn't completely solve the problem. Still loud though. Gonna check into the largest magnaflow resonator. Then a cat will be the next attempt. Looking at the FS Werks stealth system, the resonator looks pretty large.

#15 ·
Since you're new to Focus, be aware that motor mounts fail every 60K or so and cause the engine to transmit tremendous vibration noise to the chassis interior. I thought my car had a hole in the muffler until I found out the passenger mount was bad. Fresh passenger mount was like switching from flowmaster mustang to c class mercedes lol.

#17 ·
Snyder, do you know how long the resonators are and what muffler you have? I wil be in the same boat soon. I just bought a orp and want this as quiet as possible. Any sound clips of your current setup?

#18 ·
I put a 36" long Thrush Glasspack on my Magnaflow exhaust and it quieted down quite a bit, but is still authoritative sounding. There are many different size and length resonators and glass packs. If they put one too small or not long enough it can still be loud just not has loud. Here is a site where you can some from HERE

#19 ·
I had my resonator removed that was on the prior setup. It was almost a straight pipe but it did have small indentions all on the inner wall. The new resonator was baffled which did help out a little. Muffler guy said the magnaflow resonator isn't baffled. Can someone confirm on this?

#22 ·
Mission accomplished. After some researching, I have the desired results and wow. The first muffler shop I went to advised they could install a resonator and it would quiet things down.

What a joke and a complete waste of time. So I had to do a little more research. Found a couple of post about using the Magnaflow Resonator with three different sizes. Some commented on how this didn't reduce the drone which I am trying to eliminate. I called Magnaflow and they said in my situation, I should try the round muffler. I choose the 12646 muffler 6X18 and it fit well. So went went to another shop closer to home and had them install it.

Man, there is a dramatic change in the noise/drone levels. I highly suggest this muffler instead of the resonator to tame the sound down. BUT, it still has a modified sound and doest sound stockish.

#23 ·
I have that same Magnaflow round muffler on my stock exhaust. I installed it for my ORP, but right now I have the stock cat on and all I can hear is the engine at WOT.

Check out powerflexusa.com for front exhaust hangers, #005 for the front. With that muffler the hangers will be in sag city after awhile.

#26 ·
What a joke and a complete waste of time. So I had to do a little more research. Found a couple of post about using the Magnaflow Resonator with three different sizes. Some commented on how this didn't reduce the drone which I am trying to eliminate. I called Magnaflow and they said in my situation, I should try the round muffler. I choose the 12646 muffler 6X18 and it fit well. So went went to another shop closer to home and had them install it.

Man, there is a dramatic change in the noise/drone levels. I highly suggest this muffler instead of the resonator to tame the sound down. BUT, it still has a modified sound and doest sound stockish.[/QUOTE]
Same as the fwerk's stealth, makes a big difference. I have that in front of my Borla system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.