Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2004 SVT performance suggestions

9K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  GTI-MASTER 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have finally broke my one year cherry with my 2004 SVT. I would like to upgrade performance and wanted to ask you guys if you have any suggestions on what i should do.. all and information is helpful !

Mark

#37 ·
It seems like he isn't even here anymore, there so many max hp thread and such or what to do on these svt forums it's just silly. There even a sticky where to start. Drop in filter is the cheapest mod then a tune for driveability, after that it h/c/i like any na car but then you start to be 600 800 1000 usd for not that great of gains and that why people go fi. For is to produce power we can't just slap it on you have to choose your rpm power band raise revs then tune it to sorry you new power band

#38 ·
That is the question

Thanks turbosvtfocus04 and Puke

Okay so its confirmed that the ST170 (uk) is the SVT (usa) but i would still like to know if the ZX3 is the same car, interms of engine and transmission...

I have a 63mm exhausted done and the car sound and responds very nicely.

I have also turned the original air feed pipe upside down and it fits behind the grill. Notice better response at top end.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*
I cannot launch the car even with the traction control off!!!! Need Kill switch Diagram

If i rev past 7000rpm and change it holds the clutch!!!!! Lost a few races because of this.

Help Please?

#40 ·
Thanks turbosvtfocus04 and Puke

Okay so its confirmed that the ST170 (uk) is the SVT (usa) but i would still like to know if the ZX3 is the same car, interms of engine and transmission...

I have a 63mm exhausted done and the car sound and responds very nicely.

I have also turned the original air feed pipe upside down and it fits behind the grill. Notice better response at top end.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*
I cannot launch the car even with the traction control off!!!! Need Kill switch Diagram

If i rev past 7000rpm and change it holds the clutch!!!!! Lost a few races because of this.

Help Please?

zx3 simply means "2 door hatch", you can get a zx3 with a multitude of different engines. Example:

zx3 zetec
zx3 svt/st170
zx3 duratec 2.0
zx3 duratec 2.3

zx5 stands for "4 door hatch", but comes with all of the same engines as the zx3.

The SVT/ST170 engine is very similar to the zetec engine, but there are some changes that make it to where you have to buy svt/st170 specific parts for most of the mods you do.

Regarding building power with the SVT/ST170 engine, most n/a mods are very expensive and do not build alot of power. I highly recommend looking for a supercharger or turbo setup if you really want bang for your buck. Im not sure what laws are on the other side of the atlantic, but you are better suited going for boost than with trying to build N/A.

good luck!

#42 ·
Okay that makes a Ton of sense, So the SVT-ST170, ZX3 issue is solved.

Thanks ViperThreat

I do plan to Turbo the car but not straight away...I want to squeeze as much power out of this normal aspirated engine as possible

I am planning on stripping the engine and replacing rings and bearing (mains and big ends) so in this process I would like to work the head (gas flow, cams, lightened valves) and any other suggested modz. Then work on the intake, possibly ITBz and cold air induction....

I would like specs on cutting the original cams, modifications to the values, higher compression pistons, engineering of the crank... This is where im looking for advice

[?|]

#43 ·
lol, um to squeeze as much power out of this NA engine that you can will cost more then a Turbo and probably alot more choosing then just slapping bolt ons on. SVT Squeezed as much power out of it as possible for the most part, to squeeze any more you have to make a race car. Only a few of us have over 170+WHP but our last 30 to reach 200 will be the UK Cams for 1200USD, and 800+USD for +1mmValveP&P/bored

#45 ·
yeah Race type will be fine..

My engineers are ready to gas flow the head as soon as I deliver it.

I have a friend that is going to make me a custom set of valves with the metal and spec of my choice. (would love spec details if any one has) ???

I would like to save the cost of buying cams but cutting the original cams and putting vernier pulleys. (would love a high reving/quicker-acceleration spec details) ???

On the bottom end, I plan to just do a lil mod: knife edge the crank, with cross porting and balancing.

This car isn't well supported in SA and everyone that you take it too wants to slap you with a bill year they not 100% on there plans...so I am going to do this on my own with the advice for you guys with experience.

#47 ·
My guy is a Fox guy<So was I NMRA True Street> Guess this is why I am stuck on the NA Foci. Well you just have to get the Short Running Manifold to support your higher RPM curve, cam's would be the hardest. In the fox world you can get custom ground for 150. But you'd want about .500 IIRC for the higher rev band I don't know what you want degree wise, depends on what else you go with. You wont get much help here honestly on how to built a NA race SVT, no one really knows. Alot of people talk about it but give up. Just getting help here with cam gears, 90% of the pop say they're useless because we have VCT but the VCT doesn't control Exhaust Cam, I need to advance or retard it correctly. But if you're looking for people that done it, Tom has broke NA 230 HP with race gas, and he think I wont be able to reach 200 but 185-190, I'm okay with that though

#48 ·
Thanks Stephen

*I have spoken to the engineers, reached cam specs and this is what i have come up with:

Road Car:

duration 269 / 260
duration 235 / 226
maximum lift 11.50 / 11.00mm
lift at TDC 0.30 / 1.40mm

2000-6500RPM
application sport

Rally Cross:

duration 293 / 285
duration 259 / 251
maximum lift 13.00 / 12.50mm
lift at TDC 4.30 / 3.80mm

4500-8500RPM minimumCR12/1, race exhaust system needed.
application rally & race

*So now I am going to attempt to manufacture a fine line between, but this will purely be an experiment.

*As for the valves im getting them spiraled and ported with the technology of a C63 AMG

This should create a significant increase to just the head work...bottom end to go?

#49 ·
So you are getting you a set of these made? Would "Road Car" Be Daily Driver? What Manifold would you be using just a custom one, how long would be your runners to upport the 8,500RPM and how would your low end power suffer? I know it wont matter because it's for rally and staying higher rpms but I'm curious.

#51 ·
AJ , curious why you are wasting so much money on things that are just not going to help much if any ,
your valves you having made , the valves in the Merc AMG C63 will cost about 350-600 each to get made
knife edging the crank
cross porting the crank ?????
vernier pulleys on the cams ???????

You talk a good story but why put $20-30,000 into the SVT engine when you can add boost for about 4500.00 and built engine to make 600HP to the wheels for about 3500-4000.00 = 9000.00 and be done with it when adding another 10,000-20,000 to the engine wont net you another 100HP at the same boost ?????

You have said nothing about going to a larger diameter tappets in the head for the larger base circle your talking about with your cams (needed) valve springs where you getting them from , will take serious valve springs for this build ,steel crank , CGI Block , billet main caps , harmonic balancer etc etc etc

Tom

#53 ·
Hi Guys... okay there has been some minor set backs

Most of the Engineers have just started operating for this year, Luckily my first cousin is a mechanical engineer so he has managed to assist me in drawing up the specs for the cams... all that needs to be done is forward this to a cnc operator to manufacture it, as well as buy the correct metal.

Some people are saying that this is a long route however it will be a custom one, South Africa does not support the ST170 well... So not weight of the actual produced cams will have to be calculated.

Valves also at delay but now the metal has come through so that is in process and valve springs will be purchased from AEM.

Interms of how the bottom end will cope, I am considering forged pistons... would really like a sponsor now....lmao[thankyou]

I think this project might just go all out to the max

#54 ·
Too 1Turbo Focus

I appreciate the advice...600hp is stunner.

*Values are made free
*Gas Flow free
*Custom Cams R2800 = £196

*Valve Spring Caps = £75
*Cam Followers = £295
*Valve Spring kit = £172
*Vernier Pulley = £111
*CAm belt = £41

*Gasket Set £126
*Rings bearing (main and big ends) £110

* Labour is free...Hand build
* Forged Pistons ???????????

*Crank Engineering £98

Totals up to 1224 excluding pistons, custom intake manifold or ITBz and service parts

#55 ·
SUSPENSION! Its amazing what a nice set up will do for you and it wont cost you so much unless you do coilovers.

These cars really shine with just a good suspension set up and I dont think anyone can really argue with that. After you do that, then address your power. Boost it or dont bother with power mods.

#56 ·
+1 to this!!

Buy a set of Koni Oranges and you will love the car in a whole new way. NOT springs, unless you are tracking the thing!! I have a mustang that is a dedicated track car, tons of power and plenty of fun. I love racing my mustang but I love DRIVING my Focus. If you can understand what I am staying.

#57 ·
Koni Oranges? well i feel the car is way to high...here in say we like the cars grounded... but Koni Oranges ( gona have a look at it...)

oooh god, i need to start making more cash, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.