Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Dreading the "To Do" on the SVT... need pointers...

6K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  freemind 
#1 ·
Well, the mileage on the SVT is getting up there, just hit 91,000m, so, gotta start thinking about the To Do list, mainly a Timing belt.

I'm absolutely dreading the timing belt job. Too many horror stories on here about doing the job, then having to take it all apart again to reset the cams. I'm dreading the job so much, I've even considered finding an SVT dealer to do it,(and I hate taking my cars anywhere).

Other than that, it also needs the tstat housing replaced, thats gonna be a mess. Also the P1518 code for the intake sounds like its going to be annoying.

Other than that. Great car. lol

/rant

#3 ·
P1518 I just fixed - had to replace my module, but it made a HUGE difference in how the car feels. Much better now. Makes me want to grab a tune, when funds allow it.

I'd also recommend doing shocks and rebuilding the shifter. I just did all of that, along with new front sway links (mine were shot) and it drives like new now (other than the slightly bent/curbed rims :( )

#4 ·
we'll see how it goes i guess.

My shifter is the Steeda, so thats all good. I did the endlinks when I did the SwayBars so they are good, shocks I didn't think about... might not be a bad idea.

for the 1518 I know there is a write up on there to take the box apart, and file the contacts in there, don't know if I want to try that or not though...

#7 ·
Don't be intimidated by the timing belt. It's not that bad. Get the "kit". It's just a flat bar that locks the cams into position and a bolt/plug that helps you get the crankshaft into the correct position. My belt broke. Parts & machine work are EXPENSIVE. I did everything but the machine work. When it came time to install the belt it wasn't bad. No codes either.

#9 ·
we did my belt in 3 hrs. with a lot of BS talking.

the bar and pin were making it a PITA, so before we took the belt off we made two dots on the cams with white out.

we didnt even loosen the cams. once the new belt was back on top dead center, we turned it by hand like 15 times and the dots lined up every time it made a full rotation.

ive been driving the car for 5-6k miles since then and all has been good, pulls good, no CEL.

dont be scared

#11 ·
Yea I've heard that method also. Thats how honda timing belts are. there are marks on the gear, adn the top of the head, and that tells you when you are straight up. Will just have to make mine that way on the SVT.

#14 ·
Yea I had planned on getting most of the stuff from C-F-M. hopefully it goes smoothly

#15 ·
Well I just did the Thermostat housing yesterday did the CFM Revised housing, with a stock replacement thermostat, and no issues with the install, but, now the water temp hovers around 200, instead of the 190 it was at with the stock one. (I look at it on my ScanGauge) There is no leaks at all. The only thing I'm thinking is air in the system. I let it get to temperature with Expansion Tank cap off, and its at the max mark. Any other ideas? I've taken it on a few longer drives and still the same.

#19 ·
Yup i also just did my timing belt last week. Not that bad of a job and i was dreading it too. Just make sure you mark the cam gears with tippex and the crank pulley on the top. When the belt is on turn the engine a few times and if your marks line up you will be 100% on your way!

#20 ·
I will get to the timing belt, but in the mean time, I need to figure out why after I changed the thermostat, and the housing, it now runs 10° hotter than it did before.

#21 ·
The t-belt is an easy job for the mechanically inclined, not so easy for others. If you do take it to a shop(which I don't recommend), make sure it's one that has done this before, on an SVTF. Reason being, most shops screw this up. I have done 8 of these and know it takes about 3 hours, you should change the water pump as well as the serpentine belt and you DO NEED the timing tools. Forget about the white dot crap. The belt walks 6 teeth per revolution. I have the Ford workshop manual on this that gives you specific step by step pics and instructions, if you're interested. I can email it to you. Also, did you change your valve cover gasket before changing the T-stat housing? If not, that's the reason the O-ring goes bad in the housing. Oil leaks down the head and onto the housing, look for yourself.

#22 ·
Yea I can see how it would leak down. My Valve Cover gasket is just fine though. Its not even seaping above the Tstat housing. I will be changing that gasket though when I do the timing belt.

#23 ·
timing belts are a cake walk.. if you sit and read the ""book way"" it seems scary... you do not need timing tools or even have to take the valve cover off.. just make sure your mark everything correctly and you don't need tools or have to time anything.. ive done about 10 and knock them out in a few hours with a lunch break..

#25 ·
I had a shop do my timing belt, and I provided them with the cam tool since it's cheap. After researching on here I also had the following preventative maintenance:

timing cover seal
valve cover gasket
VCT solenoid
water pump & gasket

I didn't want to deal with any of these known-issue parts giving me grief down the road, one fell swoop kinda thing.
I should have also done the cam and crank seals.

#26 ·
Just got the timing belt done. about 2.5 hours with a buddy, no issues at all. The horror stories on here make it worse than it sounds.

#27 ·
Now I need to find the correct CV shaft for the passenger side, as the carrier bearing starting howling... getting really loud too

#28 ·
The timing belt really isn't that big of a pain, except for the first time around maybe. I have changed mine out within a hour I think before. But I've also taken the engine completely apart a couple times. =0) The SVT is very easy to work on (inside and out), part of why I like it so much.

#32 ·
if its not raining tomorrow, ill be doing my cv shaft and we'll see. mine does it all the time and its all dependent on speed. slowing or acceling still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.