Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT Compression Test Results : Blue Smoke at high RPM

7K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  anarchyamp 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I would need some of you experts here to give me your advice on this..

I bought a 2002 SVT with 122k Miles and I recently changed the oil and realised there was about 1 liter left!! My friends following me while I was accelerating noticed that there was indeed blue smoke and smell when I was accelerating.

Following this, I decided to do an engine compression test to see if I had a leak somewhere.

Starting with the dry test (No Oil in the chambers) i got these results (Starting from Timing belt)

1 : 125
2 : 120
3 : 120
4 : 130

Then when ahead with some oil in the chambers to see if there could be a leak through the pistons and got this

1 : 140
2 : 150
3 : 135
4 : 145

I really don't know how to interpret those results!! I heard the svt should be somewhere in the 80s because of the vct!
It also looks like every cylinder is leaking..weird..!

The spark plugs are very interesting...very white for 1 & 2 and going slowly back to normal towards 4..see below : 1 Left--->4 Right

Anybody ever came with similar results? I don't know where to start to figure out what the problem is!

Thank you for your help in advance!![:)]

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Tom! So glad to hear your feedback!

I will indeed change those plugs. As far as burning oil, I would believe that it's very likely the head gasket because i have 1 & 2 closeby, what do you think? However #2 difference between dry and wet is quite significant, which makes me think it could be a ring..but again..not sure. I wonder how long i could live with this leak..but i don't like it!

#7 ·
Couldn't see any traces of oil around the top of any sparkplugs and between the cover and the cast of the head! Im really puzzled! I would find it odd that 2 cylinder rings would be bad. When i bought the car, the owner told me (if it true i don't know) that the engine was rebuild 10k before..

#8 ·
Sounds like something along the lines of valve stem seals. I'd remove the manifolds to see if the valves had residue on them. Thats just me.

The wet and dry comparison test can be inconclusive due to many factors. I would scrap the numbers and do one test on the engine at operating temperature, no more than 5 minutes after shutdown. By then the rings should be expanded and full of oil.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#9 ·
I did the test about 5minutes after the engine as shutdown...very hot!

Good idea to check the valves...however due to the very little space available to see through the manifold s ports, i may end up removing the whole head! Wish there was a product to clean those...i did try seafoam...no success...

#10 ·
Same Thing again... changed the plugs, went to do an oil change, only 1.5 Qt left!! Scary! I removed the plugs and observed that the plugs thread was oily on 1 & 2. I wonder where the leak can come from... thats a big amount of oil being burned in such a small amount of time!

No leak anywhere on the engine or underneath and I didn't find a big amount of oil coming in the pcv cables from the valve cover or the crankcase.

#13 ·
the tip of the spark plug was oily? can you see lots of residue on the pistons when you pull the plugs?

the engine is likely toast simply from driving with 1.5 qts in it. probably time for a rebuild reguardless.

Matt

#14 ·
When its running pull the hose off the valve cover how much blow by u getting? #3 is usually the failure for rings. Mine is down for the same thing. Keep a 5qt jug of oil with u at all times i would check it every day. The more u drive it like this the more ur are destroying ur cat i got away with it for a lil while cause i had an orp. Dont down shift just coast. Baby it as much as possible if u have to drive it

#16 ·
LOL for pig pen! Actually I only have smoke if i floor it... otherwise i have no smoke..but the exhaust always smells like it's burning something..
So fed up of putting money in this car... thinking about selling it!

Bought it 3500CAD, invested a bit over 3000 in it since may...

Thank you all for your feedback!

#18 ·
Just looked into this, because it popped up when looking for something else. I am sure by now you have this figured out, but on my car it was blow by from the PCV system throwing oil into the intake. Pull the intake tube off the throttle body and open the throttle wide and look inside. I f oil is present there is only one main way for that to happen. PCV system no other oil should be present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.